Is it okay to have 'bad food' everyday?

Options

Replies

• 77LouLou
    77LouLou Posts: 75
    Options
    Everything in moderation! If you deprive yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure! Good luck! :)
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "bad".

You will still lose weight, assuming you eat fewer calories than you burn. You're also most likely destroying your arteries, if you're eating a lot of fried food every day. You'll leave a young and very healthy-looking corpse.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict myself, I think the key to anything is "moderation".
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    IIFYM all the way baby!

IIFYM crew holla

Holla 'atcha!. gonna go eat some pop-tarts now!

Mmm...yes. Deserves it own food group!

hmmm what is this group? im missing out!

and when my food is BAD, it gets a spankin...
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight doing that, but, as you get closer to your goal, it will get tougher. That last ten pounds will take a little more discipline. Well, a lot more. But, you can get 90% of the way there eating that way and just restricting your cals.

I'm one that enjoys certain foods, like Mexican food. It's really difficult for me to restrict that. So, I work out harder. But, I also know that I will probably never get to that ideal state, even though I keep pushing for it.

I love Mexican food too, I eat a ton of amys enchiladas though. They're frozen but they're non- GMO ingredients and vegetarian, so the calories are low. Pico de gallo and avocados usually curb my craving but the calories in tortillas add up, so I put some cayenne on the pico and avocado and it fills me up faster.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If it fits within my calorie range I do it. If it doesn't fit, I make it fit with exercise.

The only thing I think about before eating something.... am I going to be hungry later (wasted calories) and do I want to exercise that crap off. (over calories)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is not such thing as "bad" food...unless maybe it's not food...like nails. Anyway, if it fits in your macros, put it in your face!
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have an entire section in my diary labeled 'Desserts, Junk and Other Snacks'. I usually have MULTIPLE daily entries in that category. For example, yesterday I had a piece of coconut covered in dark chocolate, some coffee ice cream, a Kashi almond mocha granola bar, some Tostitos with salsa and a mini Butterfinger bar.

In the 400+ days I've been on MFP, I've never gone over calories. And... I also hit my goal weight back in February.

You'll hear lots of different advice from different people, but moderation worked GREAT for me. I won't give up any food that I enjoy. In my mind... there are no bad or forbidden foods - just bad or forbidden portion sizes. :-)

Love the "bad or forbidden portion size" part....hardest part of this for me :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not have a bad food everyday because everytime I have a bad food, it means less good food or less on my plate at meals to balance up the calories.
  • iamers
    iamers Posts: 74
    Options
    Of course it is! As long as it is in moderation then anything is fine :smile:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you within your calorie limit-yeah...but remember cholesterol and sodium can affect your long term health. Better to be healthy from the inside out..Don't get me wrong, I am not perfect at all. I am a beer junkie on the weekends. I should follow my own advice!!!! :drinker:
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have my five wine gums everyday - as I'm not on a diet but making lifestyle changes I dont see the point in depriving myself.

This is so true!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    By some standards, I eat "bad" every day - I eat a pretty high proportion of my meals in restaurants or fast food joints, I live for cheese (no, really: that's on my inspirations list! *laugh*), and when I want some fried chicken I'm gonna have me some fried chicken! *laugh*

You can't out-exercise a bad diet, but just 'cos I want a cheese burger or chili fries doesn't meant I have to eat a GIANT PILE of it, either. I found that most of the time, it's the first few bites that are amazing, and I feel sated of that craving - I don't need to eat all of it to be happy. Just enough to know that I "can," if you will. that I have the ability to choose for myself :) I have built a habit for myself where as soon as my meal comes, I set at least half aside. I relish the portion I've allotted - and sometimes, now, that's even more than I can eat at once! if I'm still enjoying the heck out of it and the enjoyment hasn't diminished, I might have a bit more - but generally, I find that half is MORE than enough, and I feel a) like I can do what "normal" people do, b) a sense of pride in my self-control, and c) excited about my lunch the next day ;)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Of course you can! :) Some days I have chocolate (that time of the month), some days I eat out with family/friends and want something besides salads! The only way you will stick with it is if you allow yourself some "bad food".

Also try having a crave day once a week. Generally by the time you get to the crave day you have lost the craving! :)

Just make sure that you don't go over your calorie limit, if you do, then do some extra cardio to make sure you continue in the right direction with weight loss!

Just try to do better each day, and you will continue to make progress! :)
  • Lchaim18
    Lchaim18 Posts: 7
    Options
    How about trying a GOOD bad food, like a 100 calorie piece of dark chocolate? You won't have to feel guilty, and you're doing something good for yourself. Just a suggestion
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    In response to this post, I think this might be a great time for you to try new foods. I understand you have cravings for chicken nuggets and French fries, but why not try grilled shrimp instead of chicken nuggets or baked cauliflower with olive oil instead of French fries? There are so many new, exciting things to try, don't limit yourself! Eventually you'll lose the bad cravings for those things. I cut red meat and fowl out of my diet, so I've been exploring more seafood options, and it really surprises me how versatile it can be. When I think of burgers now, I think heavy, hard to digest, and really not appetizing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The only way you will stick with it is if you allow yourself some "bad food".

good grief

the only way this is true is if you allow yourself to think this way. You do not "need" bad food. If you want it ...sure ..go ahead...but thinking you have to have it to stick to your new lifestyle is a choice. Choose not to choose a defeatist attitude..
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes.

is the right answer....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    but I still limit my calories intake. at least I eat one kind of junk food, almost everyday. whether it's chicken nugget or fried food or chocolate.

Chocolate, in moderation and as long as it's dark, is NOT bad for you! Chicken nuggets and fried food, on the other hand... (grin)

Anyway, consider what you want your diet to be like for the rest of your life. If you intend to keep eating fried food, then you need to find a way to fit it in your budget, and now is a good time to learn that. If you cut it out now then go back to it once you've lost the weight you want to lose, then you'll find the weight hard to maintain, and you'll gain some or all of it back.

Having said that, you'll find more of a struggle losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight with fried food, and a lot of it has to do with the sodium. Enjoy it occasionally, and in moderation, and you'll do fine. Or you can make some pretty awesome baked chicken nuggets on the cheap with frozen skinless chicken breasts and some cracker crumbs, and develop a healthier replacement.

This is a lifestyle you're building here, and it's OK to keep a few old friends around. Just make sure you control the relationship.