How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Partly it was marrying a man who cooks. I used to *never* eat. Not on purpose, I was just lazy and I tend to forget about eating. (I lost 10 pounds in my freshman year of college because I'd forget to eat until everything was closed, and all I had in my dorm room was canned ravioli.) Then I met my darling husband. I gained 10 pounds within just a few months of moving in with him, and that was from dinners ALONE (I still didn't bother to eat breakfast, and only a little snack for lunch.)

Partly it was giving birth to 5 children. Although, I only really gained with my first. The middle three I barely gained anything, and with the youngest I literally did not gain a single pound (and since he was 9 pounds, I actually lost weight). So mostly it's my husband's cooking.
  • ro_girl68
    ro_girl68 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thyroid :(
  • kittycraft
    kittycraft Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not really sure. I've been overweight since third grade, but I guess it was a combination of growing up in a household of sweet-loving people, my parent's divorce (I lived with my dad, he wasn't the best cook, we'd eat a lot of unhealthy things and I'd eat my feelings at being away from my mother), and genetics. Also, most recently, I broke my foot and gained even more weight due to my inability to walk and exercise.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Most recently? Got pregnant and wound up 21 lbs OVER my original MFP start weight. Originally, I am genetically predisposed to obesity, but comfort eating all kinds of junk food and bingeing definitely didn't help! Before I got pregnant I was 4 lbs from Onederland. I'm hoping to get back to that point by the fall and see how things go!
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    injuries + pizza and icecream.
  • quona9
    quona9 Posts: 8
    Options
    Laziness.
    Swiss Cake Rolls.
    Orange Soda.

I have nothing to blame but myself. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I let my lifestyle dictate my body. I work from home as an author so I spend upwards of 12 hours a day at my computer. My desk is in the converted dining room I use as an office so it's oh so convenient to the kitchen and food. That's pretty much how this happened. I'd graze constantly while sitting on my *kitten* all day working.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have always used food for emotional comfort. I believe this stared because the only time my family as a child was together was when we ate. So I associated happiness with eating. Now I associate happiness with losing weight. lol
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Marijuana and a soda habit.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Drinking mountain dew out of 2-liter bottles :)

^^^^This. And quitting smoking.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    Eating too much of the wrong things. i use to blame it on my relationship because we love to go out to eat ! But there are healthier options out there, and I learned to be more consciouse and caring with my body and what i eat.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and being lazy....

Love your honest! This is totally me, I mean did I need to have a snickers a day, it wasn't an apple for goodness sake.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'd like to blame thyroid problems and marriage, but I could have made healthier choices!
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    It's never just one thing that leads to weight gain. I have hypothyrodism (spell check), I have bipolar and the drug I take is called Lithium, which made me gain 40 lbs, I have high blood pressure. But really those are all just excuses. Yes, unfortunately they all took a toll, but I just wasn't willing to do the hard part and work my *kitten* off. I think I am finally ready now. :)
  • Kristin0ls0n
    Options
    I quit smoking.
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Options
    Let's see, I quit smoking, but i've since started again, I had babies. i was severly depressed after the loss of my son. I started eating out 2-3 times a day. thyroid. birth control. lazy.

but I'm doing better, a whole lot better and I've kicked lazy and fast food. Smoking is next!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I ate CRAP instead of FOOD :ohwell:

EatmoreFOODeatlessCRAP.jpg
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My love of cooking, gourmet food, good cheese, wine, olive oil all things, Italian, French, Spanish, Indian... Pretty much eating all of the time, drinking too much wine, having a highly stressful LIFE, trauma, and a lack of activity..... For years :/

The hardest part of dieting for me is that my meals are so dang boring! When I get to my goal weight I'll start adding back in the foods I love but in much more moderation and much less often.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Repeatedly following the "low fat, exercise more and watch those calories" dogma. ;)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Short answer? being a total fatass. Never working out, eating out wayy too much, at times every day every meal.

Long answer: boyfriend loved to eat, when we broke up I kept eating, add depression to the mix and a broken foot for 2 months and I gained a size that year! once you pack it on its hard to drop it.

It took me about 2 years to gain 40lbs, the rest I've slowly gained since 2008.