Home school vs public school?

Options
1212223242527»

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    My only problem with home schoolers is when the parents are ignorant, lazy, or teach the Bible instead of fact. I've seen some wonderful homeschooler parents and kids. I've also seen some 10yr olds who were illiterate because mom did an "unschool" and let the kid learn what they wanted and the kid only wanted to learn TV and video games.

I've home schooled my children since 1994.... Lord willing, I'll be done sometime in the next, um, 10 years or so....lol.

But, I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I've known some kids like you mentioned. It wasn't that the kids wanted video games and TV, but little Hannah didn't like her nasty old math book, so Mommy had Hannah bake a cake....and that was math class. 1/2 c of oil + 1/2 c of water = 1 c of fluid total.

Um, okay-- true enough, I guess-- 1/2 + 1/2 = 1

but, little Hannah grew up to be an illiterate dolt, as did her numerous siblings.

It's hard work-- I don't do it perfectly-- never have, never will. But done well, it produces well educated children. And with effort, the socialization that everyone worries about is not a problem, either.

You know, we home school families actually do live in, gasp, real neighborhoods. We have real, live, flesh and blood neighbor kids as playmates for our kids. We really do participate in team sports in our towns. It's not just church and home school groups for some of us. Personally, I belong to neither.

I'm the rare mix of a proponent and opponent of home schooling....

Go figure.