What do you do for a living?

Options

Replies

• RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am in the IT / User support area of a decently sized credit union. I do a lot of sitting at my desk but I recently bought a stability disc to sit on so at least I am burning more calories and improving my posture while sitting all day. I also try to make it a point to get up and moving more during the day but when there are phones to be answered and computers to be kicked back into line I can't wander away from them for long.

As for working out I have been maintaining my Mon-Wed-Fri workouts for my C25K program even though that has meant being in the gym at some crazy times at night thanks to a shifting schedule. I am now trying to work in some other gym times and I am looking at a dancing class that a friend of mine teaches that should be a good workout.

The important part is to find a balance where you are pushing yourself hard but not so hard that you are going to hurt yourself and to just keep going. Some of my best workouts happen when I really didn't feel like going to the gym in the first place.
  • jaime1029
    jaime1029 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a sales administrative assistant. I have 9 outside sales people and 5 inside sales people. I have worn a pedomometer and tracked my steps at work I get to 6,000 some days. It just depends on the day.

i also have two children 16 and 12 so they help me stay active.

I work out anywhere from 30-70 minutes a day. Just depends on what we have going on at night. I have tried to work out in the morning and that does not work for me.

Have a great day everyone.
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am customer service, for a call center.
    I try to go to the gym when I can.
  • tlcreds
    tlcreds Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a house cleaner/ personal assistant so luckily I do move around a lot:smile:
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    #1 sales rep superstar by day..........Soccer pro by night

I set my own hours and can workout whenever I want....makes life easy
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a Corrections Officer. Depending on where I'm put, depends on my mobility for the day. The Control Room, is a sit down job. Working a zone is mostly up and going, depending on the zone and what shift. I gained alot of weight at this job, though. When I worked as an over stocker at Wal-Mart, I lost a good bit of weight. I didn't do grocery either, but apparel, which isn't nearly as physically demanding as grocery.
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work in a Nuclear Power Plant. I have a desk job/plant job so I do get some physical activity. We have a gym at work that I use when I can. I also belong to a gym near my home that I use. Sometimes I just do mini-workouts while at work at my desk.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Customer Service/Software Development (minimal)/Tech Support so I sit most of my day, other than walking around the office to use the bathroom, chit chat or pick up stuff at the printer. Usually start between 5:45 - 6:45 everyday, leave at 3:45 regardless. I work for a company that provides a procedure maintenance package to the majority of nuclear plants in the U.S. On June 11, I will be here 22 years. I just was diagnosed yesterday with bursitis in my hip so my weight loss has slowed - I thought it was a fibro flare-up. Also have damaged ankles that cause problems sometimes, but doing my best to do a range of exercises: started with yoga and brisk walking around the mall in january, have moved outside since the weather is nice and now I try to jog/walk at least one day a week; doing 30 minute zumba classes 3 days a week plus Curves circuit with some Jillian Michaels 30 DS and No More Trouble Zones. One of my faves at the beginning of this journey was a Bob harper DVD - something like pure burn, super strength? I'm the mother of a 13 year old (in 9 days) and stepmom to a 15 year old - both girls. Husband works in a hospital so crazy shifts for him=bad eating times for us at home. If I could get him to loose his love for all things fried and eat what I eat, maybe I wouldn't spend so much time in the kitchen making different foods & could add even more exercise!!!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a software engineer, so I'm sitting in front of a computer all day, without much opportunity for physical activity.

5 days a week I hit the gym early in the morning before work to get my exercise in. Since it is the first thing I do in the day, nothing can interrupt it, so I almost never miss a gym day. It is also indoors, so the weather is irrelevant. I also try to run during lunch 2 times a week at work, and I try to get in a run on the weekend as well. The running is dependent on the weather, so it's a bit more iffy, but I'm still pretty consistent.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Software Developer..
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    I own a music store. Mostly sitting down either to do repairs or paperwork.
  • tris2002
    tris2002 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i am an addicitons counselor.
    I spend my work day sitting and talking to people and running charts from my office to the other side of a very small building.
    I go home and put on my mommy hat to take care my two sons (2 years old an d4 months old) I get home in time to do dinner, an hour or so of play time, baths and bed. My exercise is lacking and i'm still trying to figure out how to squeaze it in.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dentist.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I run a disaster response company. I work about 2 months a year, almost always away from home.
  • Josshhh
    Josshhh Posts: 9
    Options
    I work at a salad shop :D it's perfect for losing weight! Nah I still have to put in quite an effort :) (especially with all the food we get offered from the Asian takeaway place next door) But I guess I do have it easier than some people because when I'm working I am on my feet. I'm only part time and I'm on a gap year before uni next year though, so I have lots of time for the gym :) Really this is the perfect time for me to be getting into shape while life is setting me up with so many opportunities to do so!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am an accountant!! and when i get home from work , I go to the gym!
  • mminter22
    mminter22 Posts: 29
    Options
    I work with an attorney doing title searches for real estate closings...when its busy im on my feet at the courthouse. I work out during lunch for 40 minutes (GREAT STRESS RELIEVER) and I do a workout before I go home, because when I get home its JOB #2...mom of three kids!!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am a researcher at a college, so I am sitting at a desk all day. So I try and make it to the gym after work or go out for a run. Life has been pretty hectic lately, so fitting in time to work out on a regular schedule has been hard, but hopefully things will start to slow down and I can get a routine back again.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I work for the head office of a large Financial Institution in Canada.
    I sit all day. I go for periodic walk breaks while at work - especially during my lunch.

I am starting to work out before work and again afterwards. Cardio (running/biking) and Strength Training.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job that occasionally (on average, once a month or so) that requires me to travel to different places around the country. When I travel, I burn plenty of calories between running around the airport to setting up the events, and sometimes I even have time to go to the hotel gym. And I always take stairs when I can and avoid those moving walkways in the airport (but I try to keep up to the people on them!)

When at work, I am in front of a computer for most of the 8 hours. I work on the 6th floor of the building so I take the stairs every time, and when I can I try to walk with one of my coworkers for 20-30 minutes a few times a week. I also try and get to the gym at least twice a week, and when I can't I will do a video workout at home or go for a walk/jog. I'm somewhat limited in what I can do as far as high intensity workouts because of an old knee injury, but I do what I can!