Options

Replies

• jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    to Vegas!
  • livelovesmile
    Options
    Hopefully some of mine will go to a starving child somewhere.

But I think it just kind of absorbs into your body as you work off the extra weight and just kind of...sweats out?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

This. Please, God, this.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    mine gets misted at anyone who comes near me :P Beware.:noway:
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Everything you've ever wanted to know about fat......

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell.htm
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Down the crapper.

As gross as it sounds.... this is the right answer... your body uses that energy from fat and also metabolizes it and what ur body doesn't need it flushes out.... through elimination and excretion.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    to my thighs :huh:
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Dunno but no matter how many times I lose mine it keeps on finding me again :cry:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When I put my socks in the drier one is always missing. I assume Fat goes to the same place that sock does.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Probably the same place all my socks go once I put them in the dryer. I'm assuming Narnia.

LOL funny post!!!

my thoughts exactly
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

^ hahahaha

your fat cells just lose weight!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So there are two parts to this equation. There are fat cells, and then there is the fat that is contained inside of them. When your body cells need energy to do their thing they eat either fat or glucose or protein. This is called cell-respiration and you can google the chemical process if you like. Basically your cell breaks down the molecule into something it can oxydize/burn to release energy (i.e. the flame on a candle is a release of energy from burning/oxydizing a fuel). The waste particles are excreted.

Here's the catch. Burning fat empties and shrinks the fat cell but doesn't necessarily get rid of it. Gaining weight will fill and increase the number of fat cells you have. Losing those fat cells just waiting to be filled will happen when you're body realizes they've been empty for too long and they can eat the fat cells too.

Lil' Grade 10 bio lesson for ya :)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Down the crapper.

As gross as it sounds.... this is the right answer... your body uses that energy from fat and also metabolizes it and what ur body doesn't need it flushes out.... through elimination and excretion.

It is only the right answer if it applies to the "fat" in the food we eat. Does not apply to the fat inside the body.

Despite what others have written:
    1) Fat cells don't turn into muscle cells, just like my eyeball cells won't suddenly turn into lung cells causing spontaneous breathing from my eye sockets.
    2) Fat in our bodies doesn't come out by way of breathing - that is just crazy talk.
    3) Fat cells don't "sweat out of the body" or "metabolize through elimination" or go down the "crapper" or "disappear when the energy store is used up". Other than liposuction, your fat cells are there for life, either in a shrunken state or expanded state .
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So there are two parts to this equation. There are fat cells, and then there is the fat that is contained inside of them. When your body cells need energy to do their thing they eat either fat or glucose or protein. This is called cell-respiration and you can google the chemical process if you like. Basically your cell breaks down the molecule into something it can oxydize/burn to release energy (i.e. the flame on a candle is a release of energy from burning/oxydizing a fuel). The waste particles are excreted.

Here's the catch. Burning fat empties and shrinks the fat cell but doesn't necessarily get rid of it. Gaining weight will fill and increase the number of fat cells you have. Losing those fat cells just waiting to be filled will happen when you're body realizes they've been empty for too long and they can eat the fat cells too.

^this^
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    Probably the same place all my socks go once I put them in the dryer. I'm assuming Narnia.

LMAO!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    fat is basically stored energy. Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327

haha u used the same quote as me from earlier in the post ^_^

'Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs."

Go mayo! !
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options

lol
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello,

so how long do these cells need to be empty for? months? years?
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I realise this sounds a bit *****y but why are so many people replying with the same explanation (or even less detail or more 'guessed') than people have before them. Surely there is no point commenting if you aren't adding anything to the discussion.
  • chjones21
    chjones21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So does the amount of fat cells a person has - change, i.e. increase in number?

Or is it just that the number of cells stay the same but they themselves get bigger and more filled with storing fat.

And why is the body so inept at getting rid of excess fat, if it doesn't need it?

Is the only way to get rid get of fat to "burn" it? Can't the body "excrete" it?

I am quite skinny and always have been - I have (I think) a high metabolic rate so if my body can burn fat pretty effectively (and keep me thin but cold quite often) then why don't all bodies burn fat effectively regardless of the amount eaten? Why doesn't the body just realise it has excess and "burn" it internally or something?