No Open Diary

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You can finish your diary under goal for the day while eating fried chicken, pizza and cotton candy but if I can't see that, how can I help you by making suggestions of healthier options.

And they would still lose weight. Calories in vs calories out......Doesn't really matter what they are eating unless they have some other issue......What if they don't want you giving "healthier options". If they are losing at the rate they would like why should they be changing anything?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Many people believe they can be accountable to THEMSELVES -- the main purpose of joining this site -- by logging their calories without exposing their eating habits to people they don't know, and some of whom are obviously extremely wrongheaded and self-righteous.

If I followed a lot of the information I read on this site I have no doubt I'd be overweight.

It's not as if I don't try to be helpful. A few days ago, someone wanted to know what thin people ate and I gave several examples of meals I've had since joining this site.
  • lidybug1984
    lidybug1984 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed to everyone. I don't see how/why thats an issue. It's what makes me comfortable... It makes me sad to think that you wouldn't be my friend or offer me support b/c I'm doing what I'm comfortable with. What a bummer!!!
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My diary is open.
    I had Tex-Mex for dinner.
    Chips, queso, fajitas, tortillas, rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream.
    I skipped the sopapilla.
    I'm really not sure of the calories.
    I've been good otherwise.
    Tell me how bad I was.:laugh:

I also lost 5 pounds in the last week.:bigsmile:
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your question is offensive IMO. I have my diary closed and I will tell you why. I have Crohn's Disease and I am not always able to eat the "right" balance of fruit, veggies, fibre etc. I don't need to explain my diet choices and in fact all of my amazing friends know and understand this. I started with my diary open and I found I spent more time explaining myself to people and for what??? This is my journey, hello My Fitness Pal. I would rather spend my time cheering my friends on!
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always read my friend's diary before commenting. I always give positive feedback of some sort. If I see someone slipping up, I will keep an eye out for a couple days to see if it keeps happening, then I may say something, but not in a rude way b/c I make mistakes too. I don't mind someone saying that they seen my sugar was slipping or my calories are over. I normally will say why something was the way it was. Maybe there was a get together and I also didn't have time to fit in exercise that day. I'll tell people. If people are being rude, which is rarely the case, I just won't comment back. They'll get the picture. I expect my friends to look at my diary. I want to be the best I can be. I don't know a lot, and my friends don't know it all either, but they can tell me what worked for them. Yes, they ain't me, but I can look and listen to them and see if I want to use that advice or a piece of that advice. It gives me other ideas that I may not have had before. I guess some people are not the same, but if you are trying to lose weight and become healthier, why would you not want some different ideas? Yeah, maybe something is going right for you now, but what if you stall? Won't you rather want advice than to just be alone and on your own trying to figure out the answer. There might be that one person that just tells you the right thing at the right time b/c they have been following your diary. But that can't happen if it's not open. I have mine public, but hey put it public to friends. I mean, you add people for a reason. Not to just stare at there picture. you should be adding people for support and help and motivation. you can't get all that with a closed diary... Just my opinion...
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Your question is offensive IMO. I have my diary closed and I will tell you why. I have Crohn's Disease and I am not always able to eat the "right" balance of fruit, veggies, fibre etc. I don't need to explain my diet choices and in fact all of my amazing friends know and understand this. I started with my diary open and I found I spent more time explaining myself to people and for what??? This is my journey, hello My Fitness Pal. I would rather spend my time cheering my friends on!

I never eat the right balance of things. Normally people, well, my friends, only say something when I'm way under in calories, way over, high sodium, maybe under in water, but that's only if it's happened a couple times...
    I feel you though... I can't really exercise at a large amount normally like a lot of people b/c I have a rod in my leg and have a bad knee and back....
    I wrote one sentence about it in my "about me" and people understand... You could do that in your profile. If they are people who really want to know about you, then they would read your profile and learn about you just like a friend would. That's what I always do, and so do my friends. 90% of my friends are friends with each other so it's a close network.

I do disagree with the OP about healthy choices b/c this is supposed to be about changing life for the long run and not to cut out the things we love. so we should be able to eat cotton candy and fried chicken just in moderation and countered with exercise... so I never judge someone on what types of food they eat, I just help with the ending result numbers (unless someone is asking for help).

I'm just saying that if you have friends that believe in the part of the lifestyle change and not cutting out stuff, then I feel like they would understand more...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    As I posted in a similar thread, I had my diary open to the public until some stranger made nasty comments about it. I also don't look at diaries unless I'm specifically asked for suggestions.
  • baseballmom1031
    Options
    Ouch! I need to see this today. I just logged my food for tonight and realized I did SUPER DUPER TERRIBLY BAD! I am over my calorie limit by hmmm I doubled it. I get embarresed because I already realize that I am still eating wrong. I am happy that I am being more honest with myself and logging everyday which is something I never did before. It is very, very hard to stay consistent for me. So this month my goal was to log whether it was good or bad. I am doing baby steps. I also am afraid that if I open my diary someone will be really mean and I will quit all together. So what should you do in cases like this. I already know I am eating wrong can't people still make suggestions on how to make changes for those who ask "hey what can I do to enjoy healthier eating?" Obviously we know we are eating wrong.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ironically, I can't see the OP's diary...

oh-snap-oh-my-gawd-demotivational-posters-1301961753.jpg
    ROFL!!!!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    As I posted in a similar thread, I had my diary open to the public until some stranger made nasty comments about it. I also don't look at diaries unless I'm specifically asked for suggestions.

You mean this isn't the first thread on this subject?

No way?!

:)
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Is this like a once a week topic around here? Who effing cares. Don't be supportive then! The fact that people are logging should be good enough! I don't even have my newsfeed set to post when I'm done logging for the day. I hate it spamming up my newsfeed around 10pm when everyone finishes theirs.
  • stubbssr
    stubbssr Posts: 26
    Options
    Being able to open the diary is something I discovered quite recently!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Is this like a once a week topic around here?

If we're lucky...more often it's 6x a week, minimum.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

You mean this isn't the first thread on this subject?

No way?!

:)

Who would have thought, right? :noway:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Well for me..my diary is closed..why/ because I am under the care of a dietitian, doctor, and personal trainer..a few of my friends have the key but it is a trust thing..to each their own, don't comment if you dont want to..comment if you do..I don't think we should be flaming anyone on here, i feel it's a personal choice.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had mine open but after hearing people talk about getting bashed for what they ate I started to be hesitant about logging all my food. I decided it was better to go private and not have to worry about it rather than not log accurately. Seeing my own numbers is motivation enough for me :)
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I vent.........

Why is it that people make positive comments under people who refuse to open up their diary?
    They say things like great job logging today, how do they know????

For me, MFP is all about accountability and if you have to hide your diary, you're not allowing yourself to be held accountable.
    We all mess up from time to time and we are all trying to retrain our minds but come on folks, be accountable for your actions.

I can not and WILL NOT be supportive of somebody who is hiding something from me.

You can finish your diary under goal for the day while eating fried chicken, pizza and cotton candy but if I can't see that, how can I help you by making suggestions of healthier options.

Friends don't lock the door on their true friends and those who lock the door on me will eventually see my name disappear from their friends list.

That may seem harsh but I'm here to be supportive. I have far too many friends who will let me to waste my time on someone who's unwilling to open up.

Ok I'm done, let the firestorm begin. Be gentle (LOL)

Lucky for you no one is saying YOU HAVE to comment on closed diaries.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mine has been open and closed at various times. I closed it to the public last week when someone said in a thread I had no business giving advice when I regularly ate 1,100 calories of chocolate and yogurt. Not true, but she was tryin to discredit me based on my diary. I closed it except to friends, and my friends do not give unsolicited advice.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am open to friends only, the public viewing is too ripe for abuse, Twinky - M&M marketers sending me coupons, students/researchers taking data...