What made you decide to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Tired of being a failure at every diet attempt I've made. If I don't do it now, I'll never do it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Two words....bathing suit.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    The 70 year old me more than anything. I want to be that "old" person that no one would think was 70 and be on the go and do whatever I want!! I don't want to be a burden on my kids when they are adults and have a family of their own either.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to lose weight and become healthy.. and i have tried at numerous points in my adult life but it never really stuck..

What made it happen this time was:
    I was teetering dangerously close to moving into the 200's
    I just had my 30th birthday
    My boyfriend is ripped so i look like Crap beside him
    My clothes were all getting too tight..

So finally this time i found my motivation.. just passed my 90 days on MFP, down 14 lbs and 6.5 inches, ran a 10k, and I'm not stopping here..
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about this the other day, It's like something just clicked one day, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and always having back problems and never being happy with my body. I'm def not where I want to be but I know i'm on the right road :)
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    I wanted to join the military and for health reasons and a confidence boost! That and it helped with my thyroid problem.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    My clothes. I knew I had to change when they started getting tighter. And I REFUSE to EVER go bigger! Oh hell no.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    One day I just decided enough was enough. I didn't like who I was and I couldn't find cute clothes that fit. It was frustrating -- overall just didn't feel good. I like seeing how my body has changed and I'm proud of the work I'm doing. I feel better and am able to slowly start buying some better fitting and cuter clothes again!
  • mdmccowan
    mdmccowan Posts: 20
    Options
    I woke up and decided I was tired of being FAT
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I went shopping for more work clothes. I didn't realize how big I had gotten and I refused to buy clothes in the size I had to get. I did end up getting 2 pairs which are now literally falling off!
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had reached a point after so many diet plans that ended in failure that I had resigned myself to a large life that was becoming more and more full of aches, pains, and breathless points throughout the day. I thought I knew how to fix myself but felt like I could never see it through. Then a friend seemed to drop a ton of weight, and I worked up the nerve to ask what she had been doing. It was MFP. I was not sold immediately since I had given up on myself, but I did begin thinking about it. Last summer I figured I didn't have anything to lose but pounds so I cautiously began again. This time I was determined to only take the steps that I could live with on a permanent basis. A year later I am 60 pounds lighter! This is the longest I have lasted, and the steps I have taken are closer to becoming the daily habits I need than they have ever been. There are so many motivators including the forums, the people I have met here, the success stories, fitting into clothes in my closet that still had the tags on them, meeting goals, people noticing, the support of my husband, breathing better, feeling better, and the list goes on. I now feel my goal weight is not a pipe dream out in la la land. It is a place I can get to and live in. I may not get there quickly, but that is okay. I didn't get to the point of giving up quickly either.

Back to the original post - pictures & avoiding pictures - kids asking if I was going to have a baby - dreading shopping for clothes - shoes hurting my feet - feeling like the biggest person in the room - wondering if I would fit in the seats at the amusement park - not being able to paint my toenails - having to hold my breath to tie my shoes and put on my socks. These are just a few of the factors that helped me decide I did not want to pack the extra pounds around anymore.
  • itishardbutworthit
    Options
    I've always HATED the feeling of being fat. It was my descision to lose weight, it is hard but worth it ;)
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    my wife got diagnosed with lymphnoma cancer. has had a very long and hard journey with it. there were many times she wanted to give up much like I have on weight loss all the time. well, spending long days at hospital for test, appt and all the other crap and eating out of a bag, not to mention stress had me at the heaviest weight I have ever been at in my entire life. I felt I was defeated, I was a tub of lard, my wife had cancer plus my dog ran off....It was the perfect country song, hell, I get depressed reading this post! Well, I decided that its pretty unfair to tell my wife not to give up no matter what when I am a 300 pound man eating a big mac and fries sucking a coke down. so on January 1 I started. Not to mention all I have learned about food and cancer in the U.S.A., wow, what an eye opener! any how. now my wife is beating cancer with natural medicine, yep, everything from the earth! the medical doctors reallly messed up and God and natural things are helping us! I am not going to give up! my goal weight is 198 pounds
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight because of the pain i was in and i was ashamed of myself for letting myself get into this state but my primary concern was that i wouldn't be able to look after my disabled wife anymore ,i'm so happy with how far i've come but still a long way to go .Best of luck with your journey and God bless
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I wanna look good naked
  • composerclark
    composerclark Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, as I wrote on my profile:

I was lying on the beach last summer when a throng of well-intentioned people surrounded me in an attempt to return me to the ocean. Children (not my own, as far as I know) kept dumping buckets of water on me in order to keep me hydrated. "Free Willie!" they chanted. Repeatedly.

"But I'M NOT A WHALE!" I bellowed. "Also, my name isn't Willie!" I added more quietly, just to clarify things.

"Listen mommy!" a child cried excitedly; "the whale is singing a peculiar whale song to thank us!"

"The heck with this," I muttered to myself as I was rolled back into the waves to swim out to sea in search of my pod; "I REALLY need to go on a diet!"
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The 70 year old me more than anything. I want to be that "old" person that no one would think was 70 and be on the go and do whatever I want!! I don't want to be a burden on my kids when they are adults and have a family of their own either.

For me is the same thing!
    I want to be that 70 years old that still runs a 5K and gets everyone else jumping and hopping. That aged person no one thinks of as being old!

One day I looked in the mirror and thought - Enough! Patricia, enough! Now it's time for you to grab your life by the horns and make of it what you want!

Well, being healthy and painless is what I want of my life!
  • stargreen25
    stargreen25 Posts: 30
    Options
    I knew people were not treating me the way I deserved to be treated. I also want to be married and I dont want to date anyone who likes big girls. I dont want someone to be attracted to me because of my weight! I also want to stop the cycle in my family...I dont want my daughter to be obese! I need to be setting a good example! Really it would be nice if I could tie my shoes without getting out of breath. To be able to cross my legs. To fit in an airplane seat comfortably. .
  • JackLSelf
    JackLSelf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    At 41 years old I found myself at 5'11" and 280 pounds. My clothes did not fit and I was ashamed of the way I looked. Adding to my motivation were medical test results. High blood pressure, low back pain, high cholesterol and a pre-diabetic condition, I have a family history of heart attack, diabetes and stroke. MY doctor told me I should consider lap band surgery. That prospect did not appeal to me at all. I decided I wanted to look better and live longer. I love my family and want to be around with them for a long long time. I have tried all kinds of diets and would lose some and then gain beck more.. I started MFP 14 days ago and have already lost 16.6 pounds. It has been really simple and seems to be working well.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My husband not being attracted to me. I hit rock bottom and needed to do something about it. However, getting healthy and fit is for me and me alone. I have a ways to go yet but I never want to be that heavy again so that keeps me motivated and I hate failing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!