What made you decide to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• ZumbaFan54
    ZumbaFan54 Posts: 2
    Options
    I finally got to a point where I KNEW I deserved to look and feel better. I am eliminating sugar, white flour, potatoes as much as possible. I (almost instantly) started feeling so much better. I finally had some energy. I slept better. I have lost 10 lbs so far but I can tell I have lost lots more inches. I am once again excited about how I will look in the future. I have completely lost any sugar, bread, or potatoes cravings!! I am taking better care of myself and am feeling proud of my looks again.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    we won a sailboat race and I couldnt prove it because I couldnt bear to show anyone my pictures.

that horrid feeling combined with the most beautiful strongest day of my life proved to me that my mind, heart and personality were not in the right body.

Too much of a disconnect.
    Had to repair ASAP.

I finally found a pic from that day.

5133274_860.jpg
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If there was a camera in sight I was the first to hide, I've been putting off my family portraits. I had been avoiding mirrors. I saw a picture of myself and thought "Is that really what I look like?". But I think that the biggest one was that I saw my sister-in-law after about 2 years and she was really big. She told me how much she weighed and it was only ten more pounds than I did. I had to do something about it. I'm on my way :)
  • hyattmer
    hyattmer Posts: 1
    Options
    I finished my college honors thesis and at the end of the semester when it was done, I thought "I am capable of working independently on a big task towards a long-term goal". The next semester I decided that if I could finish my thesis, I could become a runner again like I was in high school and reach my goal weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chaneliex5
    Chaneliex5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bnk7j15m7pdl.jpg
    Getting this picture taken and realizing I was the fat friend... Didn't wanna be that anymore. Really kicked me into gear
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For health reasons but also to fit into pretty clothes
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror and didn't realise I was as big as I was..I was tired and lethargic..I work in a school and have the whole summer off work, when school breaks up.i thought I wld give mfp a go..over the six weeks holiday I lost over 21 lbs started to feel better have more energy and people started commenting on my loss.i kept it going and in 6 months I've lost 53lbs.Over Xmas I gained 5lbs as I didn't diet ..got back on track on January the 2nd..and I've lost the 5lbs I gained and 3 more.I want to lose at least another 28lbs and see how I look and feel then.My partner and I were looking at some pictures of last year and found one of me..I seriously looked really fat..that was a huge wake up call I never want to look like that again..I want to look and feel good about myself.I want my partner to be proud to be with me..I have 3 kids and want the energy to keep up with them!if I can get this far anyone can.:)
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I was at risk for a heart attack...THAT was my wake up call!!!

Naaer(aka Reaan)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was going to have to invest in a larger wardrobe and decided forget this!
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Always wanted to lose the 6-7 stone I put on during a relationship but didn't know where to start. Had no idea about calorie in vs calorie out, the only thing I knew about calorie counting is how everyone seems to say "it's not worth living your life like that".
    I assumed I just have to pick some crazy diet (Cambridge, juice plus, cabbage etc) and I was delaying it because it seemed like an impossible, and probably expensive task!
    I was also sick of people saying "you'll do it if you want it enough", I've always wanted it enough from eating 5000 calories a day to now, 60lbs down, I still want it just as bad.
    I downloaded MFP just purely from curiosity whilst browsing other game apps. Had no idea it was calorie counting and just for fun typed in what I ate during the day. It clocked in at around 5000 calories. I was shocked to say the least.
    I didn't plan on sticking with it but just to follow the calories it gave me for a few days.
    6 months later I'm still here logging every day and to the people who say "it's no way to live your life" - well, it's a million, billion, trillion times better than being obese, trust me.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Realized that if I didn't lose weight, my chance of preganancy issues would be high, plus the realization that having a kid at my then weight would have for sure pushed me well over 300 pounds.

What keeps me on track is that the changes have become lifestyle ones and now a routine for me.

The only food changes I've made during this journey weere:
    - Added healthy breakfast (protein shake, yogurt w/granola, cereal, or oatmeal)
    - Chose better frozen lunches so that I would actually eat the whole thing
    - Added larabar, protein bar, or fruit as a snack between 3-4 pm to prevent uncontrollable snacking after work
    - Focused more on correct portion sizes for dinner, adding more veggies to meals

The bigger change was adding in exercise. I try to get in 30-60 minutes daily, with often 4-6 hours per day on the weekends. Exercising helps me feel better and make good choices.
  • lynney_s
    lynney_s Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had to move out of the way for the fat woman in a shop whilst on holiday - the fat woman moved the same way as me much to my annoyance - that's when I realised that I was the fat woman and was looking in a mirror!! Obviously my mirrors at home have lied to me!!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really can't think of an exact moment where I decided I needed to lose weight. Just over a year ago when I was at 250lbs, I came across an ad in the paper that a local supermarket had started a service with a nutritionist - free of charge, so I decided to give it a shot.

For over a decade, I thought of how nice it would be to not be the one of the fatasses getting out of a nice car at car shows (and being the only young-ish guy as such), but could never make it happen. I tried here and there, but never succeeded at losing more than 5 lbs then putting it back on.

This is the year that vision comes to fruition, and I'm going to friggin' enjoy it.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Besides wanting to feel better - I work for an large Insurance company and they give incentives for staying healthy. One was that if you passed the metabolic syndrome test that you could get a significant discount on your insurance premium. I couldn't pass it. I will next year....and my premium will go down! So saving money and feeling incredible....they are very smart! Saving money can be a great incentive!
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My mom nudged me when I weighed 130lbs and asked, "Do you think you are gaining a little weight?"
    I couldn't answer. I didn't answer. I saw it, but didn't want to say anything. That alone told me that I should do something before I get even more "chunky."
  • DressedInDreams
    DressedInDreams Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I guess my wake up call was when my size 12 work pants were feeling snug, and most of my closet didn't fit. For some reason I was very much against counting calories, but nothing else was working. I'll be 30 this year, my cholesterol is a wee bit high, and I hate feeling uncomfortable in my skin. So here I am, 3 weeks in with logging, and it's going better than I would have guessed. I read the forums daily to keep motivated.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I guess my wake up call was when my size 12 work pants were feeling snug, and most of my closet didn't fit. For some reason I was very much against counting calories, but nothing else was working. I'll be 30 this year, my cholesterol is a wee bit high, and I hate feeling uncomfortable in my skin. So here I am, 3 weeks in with logging, and it's going better than I would have guessed. I read the forums daily to keep motivated.

yep, my size 12 word pants were snug. same reason. i have wide hips to begin with and gain a lot my weight in my hips and thighs, so i wasn't even overweight by bmi standards, but i didn't want to buy a size 14. i also hated how i looked in pictures. my face got fat and i had a double chin at only 140 pounds.
  • dragyou
    dragyou Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For me health!! Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure
  • migueldabu
    migueldabu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My wife keeps on telling me that the man he married never returned lol. After we got married and moved to Canada I have steadily gained weight. This new year, I have hit my all time high at 220 pounds. I never imagined myself to weigh that heavy. My clothes don't fit and I have a hard time moving around because of my weight, I have decided to take calorie counting and exercising seriously. 30 days later I have lost 10 pounds. I need to lose some 40 pounds more. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!