is it possible after 40 ???

Options

Replies

• FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, lost 83 lbs in 13 months. ( I wanted to lose it as slow as possible) Lifting 4 days per week and cardio 3 days per week. Most of my skin has shrunk. And no you are not too old!! Do not use age as an excuse!! Just know that lifting weights is like finding the fountain of youth and is far more important than cardio at our age. Its awesome feeling like i'm 22 again!! :happy:
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Started last Dec. 13 @ 51 and have lost 51 lbs. in 155 days. Now, I started at 250, so there was some there to shed, but I went from 30 lbs. above obese to midway between obese and normal. It can be done.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's tough, but possible. The game changes after 40 and changes in hormones. I went hard and fast into menopause at 43 when I underwent chemotherapy. In the five years since then, the belly fat has accumulated and I am very discouraged. But I will say, recently I started realizing that it isn't that I can't lose weight, my body just needs different things at different times of my life. So the sugar and things I used to eat when I was younger goes straight to my belly now. Sugar and carbs seem to no longer be my friends and I need to realize I have to fuel my body with what it needs right now. So don't get discouraged, figure out what your body needs now and roll with it. You can do it!
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and have lost 70 so far. It is not easy but it can be done. Just stick to it. It will happen.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    if you always say never than of course you never will see results that you want. positive thinking gets you everywhere. i'm sure you will get a tonne of responses on this one. you can do it, you just need to experiment to find what type of exercise routine works for you
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Only your mind knows how old your body is ... and makes that mean something.

Actually, hormones and changes in metabolic processes are pretty important.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    My aunt lost over 60 pounds when she was in her 60's through WeightWatchers. Nearly 15 years later the weight is still off because she hasn't missed a weigh in since she made goal. She battled with weight her entire life. You can definitely do it! I agree with the others though - have a full physical with a blood work up done to rule out any thyroid conditions, perimenopause, etc.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Only your mind knows how old your body is ... and makes that mean something.

Actually, hormones and changes in metabolic processes are pretty important.

Actually, I am not saying they aren't.
  • cowboyjim22
    cowboyjim22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have lost 40 lbs in about 6 months. I feel better then I did in my 20s
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm 57.
    This was me a year ago at around 142 pounds:
    Meayearago.jpg

This is me as of an hour ago at 103.8 pounds:
    103.jpg

So, yeah - age is NOT a factor. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm 57.
    This was me a year ago at around 142 pounds:
    Meayearago.jpg

This is me as of an hour ago at 103.8 pounds:
    *****.jpg

So, yeah - age is NOT a factor. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
    And you look DAM FINE!! : )
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you watch The Biggest Loser, you would know that there are plenty of over 40 people who lose a massive amount of weight even 60+, you are never too old to lose weight and get fit even at 80.

A lot of factors contribute, genetics, thyroid and metabolism, what you eat (like does your body like lower carb, higher protein, etc), what food intolerances you may not know you have, hormones (and hormone balance), when you eat and how much you eat, how much and what types of workouts you do , etc.

AFter I had my daughter at age 20, I could not get back to my SVELT, athletic, curvy, fit self. I worked out and ate pretty good for that year and a half. I had to start working out 4-6 days a week and cutting back on starches and carbs. So if I had a chicken sandwich for lunch with apple, I'd take off one piece of bread and eat one piece with my sandwich instead of two. No potatoes, no white rice, no white breads/no bagels, etc. I ate like that and worked out 5-6 days a week for an hour or more and I took of 35 lbs in 3 months.

You may need to start working out 4-6 days a week and taking a better look at your diet as well. It IS possible and believe believe believe.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had great results, but only after I made adjustments to my diet. It can be done. Keep researching, so that you can decide what is best for your body type and mental disposition.
  • Joeyje3
    Joeyje3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Here you go, I am 61

5 ft 7 in tall
    Start - 05/14/10 - 203 lbs
    Thighs = 26 Hips = 44 Waist = 35 Bust = 41
    Arms = 15

GOAL OF 140 REACHED ON 8/13/11

-Current- 04/24/12 = 132 lbs
    Thighs = 20 Hips = 35 Waist = 28 Bust = 39 1/2
    Arms = 11

Feel - Many years younger, more energetic, much stronger and much happier. Love being able to buy cute clothes!

If you want it, you can do it too!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am now 56 and started losing last July. At first I lost 7lbs between July and September doing nothing really other than cutting out crap. Then in September I joined MFP and started counting calories. Shortly after I started more serious exercise - a combination of long walks and gym sessions. To date I have lost 41lbs. I knew it would be slow, but I feel great and am looking better now than for most of my adult life. About another 15lbs to go.

Yes you can do it.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Yes, it IS possible at any age to lose weight and get healthy. I am 61-years-old and lost a "few" pounds. :))

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 57.

I began a journey to lose weight last August.......I have lost 22 lbs, through logging my food, staying under calorie goals, exercising (and all I generally do is walking, hiking, a bit of elliptical.) I am plateauing now, but I am sure more weight will come off as I continue to log and attempt to stay under the calorie goals that I have set.

So, TRY it, you might be surprised. This has not been difficult..................a bit trying at times, as I'd like to see faster results, but it took me 56 years to get to 182 lbs................and I believe I will eventually be at my goal of 140, if I just keep going in this direction.

MOVE FORWARD............that's really all you have to do :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I'm 61 yr young and I agree!
  • PatBland
    PatBland Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way over 40, yest it can be done. Just takes a lot of hard work and dedication. You certainly can do this.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`ve done it since hitting 40...And believe me..if i can do it...ANYONE can do it..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!