I give up!

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Don't put yourself down! 6lbs in one month is fantastic! You can do this! You're under stress and yes, it makes it harder but you want this and you'll do it.
    Ignore the fad 'crap' and don't totally eliminate ANYTHING. This is a lifestyle NOT a diet. If you think it's a diet you'll feel deprived.
    As far as exercise goes, can you put the little one in a stroller and go for a short walk? As little as 15 minutes might make you feel better plus the little one gets fresh air too.
    Don't give up. You are strong and YOU are worth the effort to get healthy!
    <hugs>
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do most people weigh themselves every day? I try to weigh myself weekly but often forget. I realize that I don't really have any weight to lose and signed up to see what food I was eating. My exercise regimen keeps me thin. What about other measures of fitness? Are you feeling stronger? Are your clothes looser? Perhaps you lost a pound of fat and gained a pound of muscle. You weigh the same but you are healthier. The scale is the simplest way to track our progress but try a tape measure. Measure your neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs and arms. If you are making progress you will be smaller. Don't give up after one month. You didn't gain the excess weight in one month.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Decreasing your carb intake would just make you even more irritated (been there)

Also I really suggest getting New Rules of Lifting for Women...they have a ton of great info in there saying slashing calories is the worst idea anyone could do....and also the "eat less, exercise more" thing has your body working against you!

I also have struggled with the time to workout, you have to make time...it's not just going to happen. I am probably the least of a morning person you can get and I started working out when I got up and it's so much better because it gets you ready for the day, you are doing it before you're getting stressed by all the stresses of your day and trust me you really do feel more energetic. Even if you just take a quick 15-20 min walk or jog or whatever...something is better than nothing and that'll get you started and then you'll WANT to do it:)

Also, when I got back on here, i didn't lost a single pound until about week 3-4, you have to allow your body time to get used to the changes you're making and 6 lbs in a month is about what I lost. you just have to stick with it and if you're not going to work out, at least keep eating healthy:) it's better than nothing like I said before.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Just cut your CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE. It's that simple.

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

OF COURSE your approach is not working. It's wrong.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

Another good popular book, same theme, is "The primal blueprint".

You should definitely also read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.

Buy these books for $25 and you will never be the same again. Enjoy!

You can complain and do nothing, or simply read the books. Enjoy !!!!!
    Lol, yep carbs have no affect on the brain.....................................you can tell by this post.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do most people weigh themselves every day? I try to weigh myself weekly but often forget. I realize that I don't really have any weight to lose and signed up to see what food I was eating. My exercise regimen keeps me thin. What about other measures of fitness? Are you feeling stronger? Are your clothes looser? Perhaps you lost a pound of fat and gained a pound of muscle. You weigh the same but you are healthier. The scale is the simplest way to track our progress but try a tape measure. Measure your neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs and arms. If you are making progress you will be smaller. Don't give up after one month. You didn't gain the excess weight in one month.

I weigh myself everyday, take measurements about once a week or two and take pics when I've lost a significant amount. I don't let anything keep me from motivating me...loose clothes, BF% and so on...I think if you do weigh yourself everyday you have to be ready to see fluctuation and not let that stop you from keeping it up, if some let them discourage them, they shouldn't weigh themselves everyday. Bodies are weird and different for everyone so what 6 pounds might seem little on someone's body it might seem huge to others. the main thing is you've lost! just keep going :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    If a child in your class came to you and said "I want to give up", what would be your response? Now say that response in the mirror.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    I think if we weigh and/or measure ourselves frequently, we are going to be put off by the fluctuations that don't always go the way we wish. But weight can vary because of a number of things--eat too much salt and follow it with too much water and you can put on a pound or so of water and not realize it.

If you measure yourself or weigh yourself frequently, you are going to be focused on the result, and when the result doesn't come as much as you hope, you'll be sadder.

But if you focus on the process--get out and walk (or, if you do it like I do, when you happen to walk for half an hour, go put it on your exercise list as cardio!), and log your foods. If you aren't eating prepackaged (and thus pre-weighed) food, then measure what you are eating until you get a sense of how much food is a serving--or how much your serving counts compared to what you are logging in.

I often find that the servings listed in the "food" database are what I am eating, but sometimes I eat A LOT more than they call servings, so I make sure I can count things accurately.

Because losing size is important to me, I have given up stuff I really like. I LOVE chocolate ice cream but I cannot tell you the last time I had some. I love pasta, and I'm not eating that either--a serving that I call a serving just has too many calories.

But I also enjoy salad-y stuff, and tuna and other fish. We have our own chickens (who make amazing eggs), so I probably eat more eggs than others might. But a large egg is 70 calories, so if I want to eat four of them, I get good and full, I feel satisfied and happy, and I have consumed less than 300 calories. (I count the fat I cook them in too, if that's how I fix them.)

I have discovered that Sonic has "junior deluxe burgers with mustard" which are wonderful--and less than 300 calories. (I think--I always have to look them up to be sure.) On the rare occaision I am starved and away from home, I will decide where I am going and what I am going to order, before I go. When I go and read a menu, I am much, much more likely to use the rationalization "one can't hurt" or "I won't eat the whole thing." I can tell you, yes I will and one does hurt when it is the beginning of a few more. I was so disappointed to discover (after eating the entire serving) that Sonic's sweet potato tater tots were WAY WAY higher in carbs and fat than I had hoped--I have not gotten them again.

What I think might be happening to me, because of this way of thinking, this way of making calorie counting a contest with myself, I am changing my relationship with food. I have become a more "mindful" eater. I taste every bite--I had heard that before but until I got where I was actually noticing and enjoying the flavors and textures of the lettuce and tomato and mustard on that meat patty and the slight sweetness of the bun.... The funny thing is, and I never would have predicted this--I enjoy my food much more now, and I am eating less.

I still have an issue with being able to say "no." My wonderful child brought home pizza last night--mine was all veg. Yum! But I was full after two pieces (and I used to eat the whole pie and was looking for more!) and I should have stopped. I did stop at half the pizza. Had the rest of it for breakfast this morning. I don't regret eating twice as much last night as I wanted, and I was really aware of it, so that's progress for me.

Mostly I guess what I am saying is, what we focus on is what will make this process either pleasant or tedious. If I watch my weight obsessively--weighing even every two weeks!--if I measure myself obsessively, I am focused on the results, which might not be what I want. But if I notice, for example, that suddenly I am able to wear size 14 jeans after smooshing myself into 18's for a couple of years, well.... that's much more interesting to me than numbers. And if each day I notice that I stayed within my calorie limit, I feel good about myself. If I also drank enough during the day, another "yea!" And if I accidentally walk for a while, well yippee for me! Seriously!

Hope this helps....
  • ctwojo
    ctwojo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the comments!:) I've found portion control works for me! Just one of those days!
  • ctwojo
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the comments!:) I've found portion control works for me! Just one of those days!

I am not going back to teaching after this year. It's not enjoyable for me anymore. Going to enjoy staying home and watching my baby grow!:)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the cut carbs. We eat too many as a country and your body does not need that many.

Go with 20 grams of protein 4 times a day and keep your carbs under about 100 net, the rest should be fat (or go over on protein if you want that is fine). You will start to see a loss. Yes it is hard but if you get your carbs from fruits and veggies you will also be getting the nutrition you need as well.

My results aren't typical but I did this (as well as a serious reduction in calories) and have lost almost 90lbs in less than 7 months and feel fabulous. I have more energy then before and my mood is much better (not cranky all the time anymore).

Give it a try, it can't hurt.
  • ctwojo
    Options
    Thanks! Needed all of your support!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

You are so not helping!!!!Shush with your low carbs nonesens

You lost 6 pounds and it is great in one month. Fluctuations do happen don't worry about it unless you overate by 3500 calories.

I second this retort. I also second the pat on the back for the 6lbs!

Hormones, water retention etc will always mess with your head (and motivation) from time to time. Don't let it get you down.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you will be making a positive change in the next 3 weeks. Something to look forward to!

Regarding the scale, I so understand your feelings about this and the first few weeks my weight fluctuated wildly! Of course I was happy when it went down but when it would jump up I was depressed from the frustration. Thankfully, though it still fluctuates, my weight had gone steadily down so this is real progress.
    Have faith, as good diet and regular exercise (no matter how strenuous or light) will lead you to reaching your goals.
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

Please, please, PLEASE... Don't quit!!!

You probably have read this before, many other people telling you mustn't quit, not because you feel depressed...
    You're quitting on yourself!

Don't quit - find an alternative!

Don't know where to start? - Hell, we're here, aren't we? We'll help you!

Go low carb. Can't do it for long? Start with one day per week!
    Can't go without bread? Start eating whole wheat and every other day start your day with other kinds of food.
    Stop the sugar intake - How? Start replacing it with honey, or just lower the intake!

Don't feel like exercising? Too tired to begin?
    Go for it in the morning, fisrt thing, make it a habit, you habit, your addiction!

Start with simple moves - jumping jacks, high knees, crunches and push-ups - That simple.
    Begin doing 15 minutes every morning and rise up to 30 minutes. Just start the day with those moves and soon enough you'll feel so powerful for doing something for yourself you won't be able to stop!

Need encouragement?
    Hey, we're here!

Add me as your friend, I'll be happy to help anytime!

But please, don't give up on yourself!
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options

If someone doesn't have the determination, willpower or the drive to eat right and exercise daily in order to get what they want then they surely don't have those qualities to "slowly" introduce carbs into their diet when needed!! I am tired of hearing all this, "no carb" stuff. The body needs carbs, therefore I feel the "lower your carbs" approach is bound to be a bust for someone who does not know how to exercise or eat right on a regular basis. It comes down to, either you want it or you don't.
    [/quote

Im not sure anybody was suggesting low carb was for someone without determination or willpower!
    To make and commit to a proper lifestyle change everyone needs that!
    So your tired of hearing this low carb stuff, well have you ever tried it????
    Let me tell you i was like the lady that started this post except instead of 5lbs in a month I lost nothing!! I was sticking to 1500 cals a day and working out 7 times a week. no weight loss whatsoever. Now I LOW carb not NO carb and still exercise and Im seeing some amazing results!
  • CriscoNinja
    CriscoNinja Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Low Carbs is not nonsense. It's SCIENCE.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Since when was 6lbs in a month bad progress?

Also, low carb is completely unecessary. You need carbs for your metabolism to function optimally, as well as your brain.
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    Low Carbs is not nonsense. It's SCIENCE.

AMEN TO THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Options

If someone doesn't have the determination, willpower or the drive to eat right and exercise daily in order to get what they want then they surely don't have those qualities to "slowly" introduce carbs into their diet when needed!! I am tired of hearing all this, "no carb" stuff. The body needs carbs, therefore I feel the "lower your carbs" approach is bound to be a bust for someone who does not know how to exercise or eat right on a regular basis. It comes down to, either you want it or you don't.
    [/quote

Im not sure anybody was suggesting low carb was for someone without determination or willpower!
    To make and commit to a proper lifestyle change everyone needs that!
    So your tired of hearing this low carb stuff, well have you ever tried it????
    Let me tell you i was like the lady that started this post except instead of 5lbs in a month I lost nothing!! I was sticking to 1500 cals a day and working out 7 times a week. no weight loss whatsoever. Now I LOW carb not NO carb and still exercise and Im seeing some amazing results!

I was thinking the same thing.
    I won't be able to go No carb. I've got to have carb, the complex ones of course, but carbs nonetheless!

But I do think when starting we need to encourage others to start slow, small steps, each step at a time. Not taking it all out at once, 'cause it won't stick. Don't you agree?

I've been having good results with low carbs as well. And lower sugars. And lots of moving around and exercising and an overall new aproach to life and health!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in one month is progress because 5 lbs quickly becomes 10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50 etc.
    Sorry you are not enjoying teaching it could be the grade :/