bigger girl at the gym

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i have never seen anyone judge someone for being too big while at a gym. the only judging i have heard is when people see someone using horrible form...something like "that guy is going to blow his back out".
  • Ralfgar
    Ralfgar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you are there for your health not for what they think! I feel you are doing the right thing by changing your workout for where you are at this time in your fitness level. As your fitness gets better so will how you do your workouts. If you are still getting your heart rate up and you feel the burn you are doing it right.

good luck and stay focused
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started working out, and I think it is a normal concern. But, for the most part, people at the gym are focused on themselves and their own workouts and probably pay little to no attention to what you are doing.

As far as your modifications... Its always better to see someone modifying an exercising and completing it with good form at the appropriate level than to see someone struggling with something that is beyond them and potentially injuring themselves. Sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to improve you health/ fitness, look the way you want to and live a healthy lifestyle. Keep focused on that while at the gym. Most people are not even paying attention to you it just seems that way to you. Enjoy!
  • alu1977
    alu1977 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am lucky and actually have myself set up well in my home. With an elliptical, bowflex, some dumbells and room for cardio aerobics. Not everyone has that opportunity. If I had to go to a gym I would feel the same way. Forget about them, everyone has to start somewhere. Your working out smart!!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling like everyone is judging you and go enjoy your workout! I promise you no one is paying attention to you, because they are doing the exact same thing... enjoying (or trying to get through!) their own workout!
    exactly!
  • fussica1
    fussica1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just started going to the gym again after a pretty significant hiatus. I take classes at the gym with all of these crazy athletes. The first time I went, we did burpees on top of everything else I couldn't do. I even fell while attempting to do a regular plank. I was so embarrassed, and all I wanted to do was hide and never go back. But people were encouraging and told me I needed to come back, that I did a good job (even if I felt like a failure). So I've been at it for about 4 weeks now. I can do a plank, I can do a push-up and burpees. Maybe my mountain climbers need a little work ;)

My point: They are not judging you, those athletic people are thinking, good for you. Now is a better time than ever. Keep going, keep challenging yourself, you will be surprised how much easier it gets as time goes on. You get more energy from working out and feel better about yourself.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You belong there girl. Good job!
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i used to feel that way starting out, especiallly at the free weights and i still cant bring myself to go running in public. But we all have to start somewhere
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I first started a little over a year ago. The first few times I went to the gym I wouldn't go if my BFF didn't go with me. After I got my routine down, I was fine going by myself and actually prefer going on my own. I am there to workout, not visit. I have since switched from a city rec center to 24 Hour Fitness and it doesn't bother me at all. Don't worry about what anyone else is thinking, most likely they aren't paying any attention to what you are doing. KEEP GOING!
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey, there is an older woman who uses a walker to get around at my gym. But she's there!! Use that bench cuz one day, you won't have to. And good for you because I won't even attempt burpees :grumble:
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use to skip what I called the pretty hour at the gym.... right after work when the girls wore their matching sports bras and capri pants with makeup etc. I would either go later or early in the morning when you got the less judgmental people and skipped the trying to find a boyfriend time.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If the gym isn't for people trying to improve their fitness, who exactly are they for? :flowerforyou:

Such a simple statement, I have rarely seen someone quoted so often but said so true. I was a big boy entering the gym and would sneak in at night because I was like you and felt I was being "judged". I finally thought to myself they are looking at me, admiring that I will show them that desire is stronger and will put me in good jeans.
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    why people make excuses to quit gym ?
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my little sister: Confidence is key. Easier said than done, I know, but you just need to walk into that gym knowing what you've got to do and "just do it". Sure, people MIGHT look, they MIGHT judge, hell they may even laugh. But who the hell cares? Cause you know what, at the end of the day, YOU are the only one that matters.

I do my damndest to practice what I preach. When I go to the gym, I isolate myself from the world around me and just do what I do, cause I know that when I walk into that gym a year from now, the joke will be on the ones who laughed, because their ridicule only motivated me that much more. ;)

Good luck!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus on others. You're making an effort to go to the gym for YOU!! You're trying to improve your health and lose weight. You won't always be able to do every exercise. Doing a modified version is perfectly ok. The important thing is that you're trying. Don't quit!! I used to be that person that was afraid of what others thought of me while I was working out. The longer I've done it the more confidence I've built.
  • jennc37
    jennc37 Posts: 81
    Options
    wow! thank you all so much! I feel empowered!
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I literally thought I was going to throw up the first time I went to the gym. I was afraid I was going to be the biggest person there and everyone would stare at me and crack jokes. But...everyone is there sweating there *kitten* off just like me and trying to get through there workout. Do what you have to do to get it done!! I'm proud of you for doing it and some day you will look back to see just how far you have come.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Whilst I can totally appreciate your concerns, I must admit that I for one am far too busy getting a bit lost in working out than looking at other people - and frankly, no-one is in any position to judge people exercising as they're taking steps to improve their health, which could never be criticised.
  • collarbonescollarbones
    collarbonescollarbones Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd rather see a bigger girl at the gym who is obviously working hard to improve her fitness than some of the skinny posers with a full face of make-up that just walk on the treadmill for 20 mins texting the whole time... (sorry mini rant, we only have 1 treadmill working at the moment at my halls gym and it drives me crazy when girls do this!)