guys... don't want to lose weight and be "the smaller guy"?

Options
124»

Replies

• tom1834
    tom1834 Posts: 34
    Options
    Mike Tyson said it best "everyone has a plan till they get punched on the mouth". After that only experience will help, Size helps some but knowing how to use it matters a lot more than just having a bigger build.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i get what you mean, especially me being a big black dude. Just having the look of someone you dont want problems with definitely helps me avoid waking up in a roadside ditch (and i have directv anyway). i guess when the weights gone ima have to wear sunglasses and frown alot to scare people lol
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    i compete in powerlifting in the 308 class i usually weigh in around 295ish.. now i am strong as hell at 295 butttttt when i fight i weigh in at 265.. dropping 30 lbs i dont feel as big and as strong of course but i am a much better fighter at 265 because of quickness and agility. i dont get gassed and def look alot better. i train when i am at 295 i am much stronger but my flexabilty sucks and so does my cardio so just because some one is big and strong even if they know how to fight doesnt make them a better fighter
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you are in spots where you have to worry about this stuff THIS much, you are living so poorly. Not trying to insult you, but you clearly are making poor decisions if this is really something to think about. I also feel like you have insecurity issues. I just don't get who would want to live with this thought process. Who the hell are you trying to intimidate? Who cares? Get a damn happy life.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm way more scared if the guy is lean and agile, than if he is big and tough looking. When I look at a big guy, I think strong, but slow - aka. very easy to dodge and run away from in a fight. When I see a lean and fit guy, I'm like... ****, I have no idea what I'm up against.

Maybe this is because I've been small for my whole life and I strategize differently.

you are right though...it is the smaller ones that people should be afraid of.

True, ninjas aren't huge dudes. And ninjas are legit.
  • hman121
    hman121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    me thinks this topic was about another part of anatomy...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. In my 20's I was a LOT bigger & stronger than I am now. Fortunately I never needed that size/strength for defensive purposes, but it was there. Now I'm just a skinny guy. That's not to say I feel defenseless, but I'm certainly not going to intimidate anyone with my look/size.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm the "little guy" but never get messed with. I've walked through plenty of unfriendly places. I've got long hair and can cast a rather unfriendly expression too. Between those two things, most won't make eye contact.

JM
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    ok maybe i'm crazy, but there has been times, when i'll be walking somewhere... not necessarily "down a dark alley" but you know, places like that, less safe, and someone looks at you like something might be up, and you're thinking, oh ****, if they did something, could i defend myself? And it's been comforting to know I have a good 50 or 70 lbs on the guy, and ya i know weight's not everything, bruce lee weighted like 130 lbs and could kick anyone's *kitten*, but you got two average people the guy that weights significantly more (within reason, if he's like 500 and can barely walk that doesn't count) is likely to be the victor

like, some guy hit my convertible porsche on the highway, on purpose, because he was mad i went around him a few miles back (crazy right?), and we pulled over and he came storming up to my car (top down, so nothing between us) and i thought I'm glad i have about 70 lbs on this guy, so i just looked at him like he was crazy because i had no doubt i could take him.

does anyone else feel like that sometimes or am i just weird?
    You're just weird.

I'm stronger and more able to kick your *kitten* at 195 than I was at 278.

And your car choice makes you weird too :D
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you are in spots where you have to worry about this stuff THIS much, you are living so poorly. Not trying to insult you, but you clearly are making poor decisions if this is really something to think about. I also feel like you have insecurity issues. I just don't get who would want to live with this thought process. Who the hell are you trying to intimidate? Who cares? Get a damn happy life.

I'm not the OP so no idea what his living conditions are but... "just move" isnt exactly helpfull advice. About the same effect as "just don't go out on a Saturday night". I don't know *your* living conditions either.. but even here in peacefull happy Bergen I've been in a situation where Big Burly Guys would have been helpfull to have around. You see.. there's this thing.. there's always a couple of jerks in any given population.

Ultimately I don't think it's about size, but how you carry yourself. Sure tiny guys are more likely to have the agility, but they can be belly-punched off their feet just the same :laugh:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have all the Tae Bo video cassettes. Even watched them twice. If that ever ceases to impress the bad guys, I'll just buy an MMA Tee Shirt.

"You talking to me?"
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that I thought like this a long time ago. When I was in high school and buddy of mine got into a fight with one of the football players. My friend was about 130lbs @ 5'5". Football jock was about 6ft tall and around 220. All he did was run around the guy and wear him out. The football player put his hands on his knees to catch his breath and my friend 1 shot him in the jaw and ran away.

Needless to say he caught that one inch spot on the jaw and knocked him out. I never doubted "little guys" again. He told me.. "see, you wear them out, never EVER run into their face or get within arms reach"

~~~lesson learned :happy:

edit: mind you, this is ONLY if you can't get away. If it was me, I'd run away, too much to lose over someone I will probably never see again, plus it makes my day to see someone else get so worked up over nothing only to see my rearend going into the distance, laughing.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I tell my buddies in the gym all the time that I'm there to get small...not big haha! I couldn't care less about lifting to be huge anymore...I just want to feel and look good now. That being said...lifting sure gets more challenging when you start cutting those calories and losing pounds on the scale :P
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have all the Tae Bo video cassettes. Even watched them twice. If that ever ceases to impress the bad guys, I'll just buy an MMA Tee Shirt.

"You talking to me?"

lol
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    What you're experiencing is your ego. You're bigger than everyone so you think you can take them on,
    the confidence is good, but as long as you don't act upon this giant ego of yours then it's okay.
    Because who are you if you beat up a smaller guy than you whether it was self defense or not.
    I'm 155 pounds going down to 125 pounds to fight at fly weigh and THATS LIGHT AS HELL, does it make me the bigger man
    if i beat someone on the streets just because i have fighting skills? no it doesn't, i would have just beaten
    up a dude that doesn't even know how to throw a punch.

If your bigger than everyone else, that's cool. Just don't let your ego get the best of you, or one day you can
    get into very serious trouble. Best to just avoid any kind of physical situations, and especially .. don't go looking for trouble.
    But then again, it's always nice to play that little fantasy in your head of your self beating the **** outa someone just because
    you know you can if it ever did happen :D
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    joined army where they train brazilian jiu-jitsu (sorta like wrestling),

no they don't and no its not... :noway:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and squishy (but decidedly less so)
    This is a snippet from my motivations:

"Why I Want To Get In Shape

If there is a weight and fitness level where I will be satisfied and happy with my body, I want to have it.

Also, if a mugger, ninja, or rodent of unusual size gets near me, I want the ability to end them."

I totally get it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Don't ever judge a book by it's cover. I have a friend named Billie. He and I were in the Marine Corps together. Studied Karate in Japan together. Worked as Bodyguards in the 70's and 80's together. He is about 5'7". 165 lbs. Blue Eyes. Blond Hair. Kind of guy gals wanted to cuddle. Very cute in a collegiate looking way. I never got hassled. He always got hassled. Just because of the way he looked. In all my years of training, I never met a guy more deadly than Billie.