Ladies, do you run/workout in a sports bra (in public)?

Options
shanae727
shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
I used to before, but once when I was running/walking with a friend she mentioned that it was inappropriate, so I haven't since. However, I want to because I feel restricted in my shirt and I get super sweaty. I think her issue was insecurity but I was just wondering if any of your ladies run in a sports bra or workout in a sports bra at the gym? If so, has anyone ever told you that it was inappropriate?

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I plan on once my abs are where I want them. I don't think it is inappropriate.
  • killersushi13
    killersushi13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I want to wear one when I'm walking my son because of how hot it is (and to work on a little tan lol), but feel that it's a little inappropriate since I am walking my child. : /
  • tasmin21
    tasmin21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't, but it's because I dislike how I look. Once I trim down, you bet I'm gonna be showing that off. (Shirts are sweaty!)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking for me.. .hell no... even when I get my weight down, I never plan on doing that. I do wear sports bras but I always wear a shirt. I never want to be one of the women in the gym I go to (there are loads of them) who you can tell deliberately flaunt 'the girls' but these girls are wearing about 10#'s of makeup, texting, just sitting there or pacing back and forth not lifting a 2# weight.. they are the only people who leave the gym with their mascara and eyeliner unscathed - so clearly their purpose is not to workout...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In my current body it would be inappropriate but that's another issue...

There's sports bras that are appropriate and sports bras that aren't. Any woman can tell the difference between undergarment sports bras and ones meant to be seen. If I had a body that I felt secure doing it, I would!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't because of the fat rolls, but I would if I looked like the Turbo Jam or Powerstrike women. Why not?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point. I move just as well in a shirt as a bra. I probably move better because I dont feel as self conscious. Wear whatever you want of course, I just dont see the point.

Also, if you're out in the sun, you should cover your skin to protect it from the sun.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I would never do it. I don't really have anything against girls who do, but for me personally it just seems weird.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Not yet.. But I'm getting there!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra and a good Under Armour-heat gear tshirt over it. When it gets warmer I'll buy a few of their tank tops but I definately will be covered up. Not that I don't like how I look, I just don't think it's appropriate. There are enough creeps out there staring as it is.

Ok I'll also add that since I have <gasp> huge nipples, I don't like THAT showing through a sports bra for people to stare at and whether they 'mean' to or not, they DO stare and I'm interested in working out, not worrying about people looking at me. I don't feel I need that type of attention. Even if I was looking for someone (100% not!) , I would not wear a sports bra for that reason alone, like some do.

For those of you who do want the attention, go for it.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally fine. I wish I had the body to do it, because I would do it all the time! :)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm still quite overweight, I'll tell you now it's because she was insecure. I would be too if it were me. If I had the body though, I definitely would do that!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't walk around Target in just my bra so to me it seems inappropriate to run/walk whatever on the streets in just a sports bra. It is still just a bra and used for support. To me putting sport in front of it doesn't change that.

So no, no matter how in shape I get I would never consider it appropriate to wear just that in public.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't, but it's because of my ugly tummy. Maybe someday. I have one sportsbra that really covers nicely and isn't see-through that I WOULD wear, but like I said, not yet. My other ones? No way, you can see too much. So if I ever get the body where I want it, I might! Would have been nice today, getting pretty hot out there. Of course this means much more sweat-proof sunscreen on my body, but I'm good with that!!!!
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I run without one every time I run....just say'n 8) In all honesty - I think whatever you are comfortable in works if you're truly 'working out' and not socializing - and if someone has an issue with you running in a sports bra then they just will have to catch up with you to let you know that you've offended their sensabilities....
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Personally speaking for me.. .hell no... even when I get my weight down, I never plan on doing that. I do wear sports bras but I always wear a shirt. I never want to be one of the women in the gym I go to (there are loads of them) who you can tell deliberately flaunt 'the girls' but these girls are wearing about 10#'s of makeup, texting, just sitting there or pacing back and forth not lifting a 2# weight.. they are the only people who leave the gym with their mascara and eyeliner unscathed - so clearly their purpose is not to workout...

I am working out, I am not looking to hook up. A sports bra is UNDER wear.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I reach goal weight, I definitely plan to buy the cute ones for working out.

Do what makes you happy. Be confident. =]

Edited to include the fact that I don't know why people are so uncomfortable looking at other people's bodies. People wear bikinis to the beach, I don't see how running in a sports bra or crop top is inappropriate.

The whole idea of needing to be 100% covered up all the time in the name of keeping things "appropriate" is just absurd to me.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies! Just curious. For the record, I have very little to no boobies so I'd just look like a teenage boy experimenting with bras. :) (kidding)
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    seems absolutely fine from where I'm sitting.

(seriously, its up to you what you wear, provided everything importants covered up! I dont give a damn what others think and nor should you...)
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What seems like a very long time ago..I was a marathon runner..If I ran in just a sports bra..I made sure that I had something wrapped around my waist..like a very thin long sleeved shirt or thin sweatshirt..that was I felt a bit more covered up..but I did enjoy the feeling of not having a sweaty shirt hanging off of me.