Ladies, do you run/workout in a sports bra (in public)?

Options

Replies

• weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's under wear so I wouldn't do it cause I am big chested but if I wasn't I wouldn't do it anyways because it's a bra which is made to wear under your clothes.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Modest is hottest. Please keep the girls covered in public, it is common decency. Congrats if you've got a great body, proudly show your spouse.

:noway: ....a sports bra DOES cover "the girls."
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Modest is hottest. Please keep the girls covered in public, it is common decency. Congrats if you've got a great body, proudly show your spouse.

^^Agreed!!!! :)
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine if you feel comfy. That's the most important thing. I just have never felt comfy doing it. But I do support w/sports bras :laugh: I just keep 'em under now a days.
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    So it's inappropriate for you to wear just a sports bra, most of which are made to look like a crop top anyway, but not inappropriate for some men to walk around the streets with no shirts on?

I don't do it personally, but that's because I have my own body issues that I have to deal with. I don't feel it's inappropriate at all. You run/work out however you feel most comfortable.

I know right? It's not like girls have their breasts flopping around everyone for people to see. All that's showing is your stomach and shoulders.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If men can pull out their man boobs and wave them around in public, women can wear a sports bra if they want. I don't think it's inappropriate at all. Rock that bra.
    LOL! Good point
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you................ it would depend on where you are, what you are doing, what's around you, what color is it, etc. To me a white sports bra looks like an undergarment... but the hot pink, blue etc. not necessarily. Plus if you are running.... people understand why.

I live in a college town and occasionally I see co-ed's in a sports bra.... not a ton of them but there is usually one or two out running. It hasn't gotten that hot here either.... I will definitely pay more attention out of curiosity now. Now that I'm exercising more, I pay more attention to everyone else... it is interesting to see who is comfortable with their body and who isn't, what gadgets they lug with them, etc.

I agree with who said you can tell if a sports bra was meant to be worn as an under garment or not. I wear one with the little straps all the time as my bra. I hate underwire and only save that torture for when I have to get dressed up. Until I lose more weight, I'm wearing sports bras as bras. I wear the T back racer style to work out in more.
  • iemcanadian
    iemcanadian Posts: 18
    Options
    For those of you who do want the attention, go for it.

:yawn: Lots of the ladies here have said it's because they're warm, it's not JUST about attention...that's pretty presumptuous.

Anyways, I don't, but I don't think it's inappropriate.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I normally don't but this last week I ran in just a sports bra. I'm sorry it was 90 degrees out and when I'm running 5+ miles I don't care what other people think; I want to be comfortable and cool. I live out in the boonies so I can hardly offend anyone. Who cares really; I don't sit around judging what people wear to workout in.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't ... But doesnt mean I won't. Maybe. Some day. For me, it's just a matter of waaayyy too much boobage for that much public display. I'm just now getting more comfy with tank tops. I still wear 2 layers of tank tops to the gym. Lol. The sisters need coverage. As I lose weight , they are more "out there" .... So ... No, not comfy.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think it's as annoying as guys running in just shorts...your clothes keep your sweat cooling your body. I only need to see my husband that naked...unless I'm @ the pool. That's just my opinion
  • JenivaDoll
    JenivaDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I reach goal weight, I definitely plan to buy the cute ones for working out.

Do what makes you happy. Be confident. =]

Edited to include the fact that I don't know why people are so uncomfortable looking at other people's bodies. People wear bikinis to the beach, I don't see how running in a sports bra or crop top is inappropriate.

The whole idea of needing to be 100% covered up all the time in the name of keeping things "appropriate" is just absurd to me.

agreed.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Before I had kids, yes, I did exercise in a sports bra. But, now that I have had 6 kids, the tummy skin is not too pretty....and I do not want people to see if bouncing around!! haha!

But, I do not feel it is inappropriate to exercise in a sports bra. It gets up to 100 degrees where I live...if men can run with their shirt off, surely women can run in sports bras.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So it's inappropriate for you to wear just a sports bra, most of which are made to look like a crop top anyway, but not inappropriate for some men to walk around the streets with no shirts on?

I don't do it personally, but that's because I have my own body issues that I have to deal with. I don't feel it's inappropriate at all. You run/work out however you feel most comfortable.

I know right? It's not like girls have their breasts flopping around everyone for people to see. All that's showing is your stomach and shoulders.

AGREED! Mine are all "blocky", the only "dazzle" is a little pink here and there, no pushup no thrill.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    First off, whether it is INAPPROPRIATE or not should have NO bearing on whether you look good with your shirt off or not. This is a totally different topic and unrelated logically.

People bring up the whole "well it is no different than wearing a two peice at a swimming pool!" Yet it IS different. It's all about CONTEXT. You don't wear a formal gown to a picnic. You don't wear cut off shorts to a wedding. You don't wear a swimming suit to go shopping. This attire in these situations would be inappropriate regardless of them being appropriate attire for certain situations. The situation IS important when determining the attire. As someone else said: "It IS UNDERWEAR." You don't wear your underwear to workout in public.

It is one of those things I have been debating because I would like to get a tan...but since I am on the fence about it, I think that pretty much is my answer. If it seems like it might be inappropriate, I probably shouldn't be doing it.:grumble: :ohwell:

And technically, it is cooler to run in a billowy shirt or one that wicks sweat than to have your skin exposed to the sun.:wink:

I know that it isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but if it helps, I'm not too happy about it either. :flowerforyou:
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't in public, but I might when my stomach gets a bit flatter! I work out without a shirt on at home 100% of the time.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    i would just like to say a few things here. 1. alot of people go swimming in a 2 piece,which shows more that a sports bra,and nothing is wrong with that. 2. the point is to excercise,not care about what other people think of you,so as long as you are doing it because you feel better in it, more power to you. and 3. creeps will stare no matter what you are wearing so it doesn't really change anything hahaha
    ^^^ I totally agree with all three points.

I exercise at home in a sports bra and shorts. I would go for a walk or jog in my neighborhood too. I sweat when I workout and do not like things clinging to me.

Also, if sports bras were made only to be worn under other clothes why are many so patterned? Most would totally show through a light colored t shirt.

I view sports bras more as sports tops. I have workout tanks that are simply longer sports bras. Those are ok but not the shorter ones? That doesn't make sense to me.
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Wearing a sports bra to work out is not inappropriate at all. Get with the times :P

Personally, I don't because I feel insecure bearing my stomach. In a shirt I feel more comfortable and therefore free to focus on my workout.
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Its inappropriate in the gym if you are using anything more than cardio equipment. I dont want to sit on a machine after you've just left a body shaped sweat mark on the bench press. GROSS. Yes, equipment can and should be wiped down between people anyway, even if you've got a shirt on but its worse when you aren't wearing one.

As far as in public, if you want to go for it. You would probably find yourself cooler in some type of dri-fit that wicks sweat into the shirt and helps you cool yourself.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    If men can pull out their man boobs and wave them around in public, women can wear a sports bra if they want. I don't think it's inappropriate at all. Rock that bra.

word!