Ladies, do you run/workout in a sports bra (in public)?

Options

Replies

• PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It covers more than a bathing suit top and I'm fine wearing a tank top outside so I don't see why I should feel "inappropriate" in a sports bra!

If it wasn't illegal I'd be outside with no top on, just like a guy can. Some men have larger breasts than I and they don't get arrested.
    I wouldn't run with no top though! Painful!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I never heard of sport bra running as inappropriate until this thread. On a hot day, at least half of the women runners in my neighborhood are wearing sports bras and no shirt. And not all of them are completely toned.

Wear whatever you want.

I hadn't either until my friend said it. I remember in highschool, we would scrimmage afterschool in our bras. So it's never been a big deal. I see it all the time in my neighborhood. Even in the rain!

Honestly, it seems people have too much time on their hands to sit around and even judge about this. It's not effecting anyone else in anyway so why do they care so much?
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would wear my sports bra and shorts to the gym .. I do not care what other people think about it.now that I work out at home (alone) , I do sometime strip to my bra and panties while working out because I sweat, and I hate my clothes being big and then they cling to certain areas and well either way, in the gym or at home, I want to be comfortable.

adding laughter about my workout at home, umm it did bite me the other day when the doorbell rang and I was struggling to get my clothes back on... LMAO
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Personal preference
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not only because MY sports bras actually look like big booby-holding bras - thick straps, lots of eyelets to hook up, just not a sexy look IMO. But if my boobs weren't so big and I could look cute in another type of sports bra, I may think about it but only if it was like 90 degrees out and I was running. I would feel weird inside an airconditioned gym with no shirt over my undergarments.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I plan on once my abs are where I want them. I don't think it is inappropriate.

This!! Workouts are about you and how you feel and not about what other people think!
  • dontstopmenow87
    Options
    I personally do not think that it is inappropriate, however I know at my university's gym they require at least a tank top with their main reasoning being the prevention of the spread of bacteria and skin infections like MRSA and other forms of staff.
  • madcap13
    madcap13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is inappropriate to wear a sports bra in public. It is what it is; a bra. We do not wear a regular bra in public. Treat the sports bra the same.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to rock their sports bra especially if they have the stomach for it...Hopefully in the near future I can show it to the world like that..GO FOR IT!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I see people running in their sports bras all the time in my neighborhood, not offensive to me, would do it myself if I wasnt so big right now (LOL, and IF I ran, LOL). I just asked my daughter who is 27 what she thought, she also doesnt see a problem with it.

I think this boils down to several issues, how comfortable you are with your body, what the culture is where you live, and what culture you were raised in. I would NEVER have done this in the small town in NC that I lived in for a while........would have offended way too many people, but in Seattle? no problem. So I do believe where you live matters, but not as much as what matters to you.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It is inappropriate to wear a sports bra in public. It is what it is; a bra. We do not wear a regular bra in public. Treat the sports bra the same.

But we can wear bikinis, which cover less than a bra or sports bra. I'm sorry, but where is the logic in that one??
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'll do yard work in my sports bra and shorts (just came in from mowing the yard like that, actually). Running/working out, no. My abs are just fine, so that's not the issue. I just want to focus on my workout more than what I am (or am not) wearing. I've always been a "to each their own" kind of girl.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    To me there's no difference in preferring a sports bra to a top than there is to preferring to wear shorts over pants. If it makes you comfortable and able to work out more effectively- good in you.

As a side note I seriously HATE the automatic 'oh those girls just want attention comments.' Most of us are here working hard to look good so we can feel confident- regardless of what that means to us. I find it very disappointing when people then criticize said confidence and assume people are just trying to 'hookup'

Haters I say!
  • daughteroftheking84
    Options
    I think it just depends on personal preference. I personally, even when I was 130lbs never wore sport bras out in public or bikini etc, but that's just ME personally. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone that did. I say if you got it (and even if you don't) and you feel comfortable, go for it!!! Other people opinions shouldn't matter.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I see people running in their sports bras all the time in my neighborhood, not offensive to me, would do it myself if I wasnt so big right now (LOL, and IF I ran, LOL). I just asked my daughter who is 27 what she thought, she also doesnt see a problem with it.

I think this boils down to several issues, how comfortable you are with your body, what the culture is where you live, and what culture you were raised in. I would NEVER have done this in the small town in NC that I lived in for a while........would have offended way too many people, but in Seattle? no problem. So I do believe where you live matters, but not as much as what matters to you.

Hah! Where in NC? That's where I am right now --so that could have something to do with it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

But we can wear bikinis, which cover less than a bra or sports bra. I'm sorry, but where is the logic in that one??

Agree w/ Adini. Sports bras are clearly not the same as regular bras- they're easily recognizable as different. If they're different, why treat them the same???

Also, I forget who mentioned them earlier in the thread, but the women's track panties are 1000% worse than running in a sports bra. I had to wear those things for track meets in HS, and it was torture. We would put shorts over them as soon as we were finished every race- no matter how hot it was. THOSE are inappropriate!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lived in Eden, NC........but I think Charlotte, Raleigh or even Greensboro wouldnt have been as big a deal.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    All the female trainers in my workout videos appear to be wearing sports bras, and they're professionals. So how can it be called inappropriate for us? Personally, my boobs are too big to put out there like that, but if I was an A or B cup with flat abs--HELL YEAH! I'd rock that bra and ignore the (jealous?) naysayers.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wish I could bring myself to do it. Ive ran in extreme heat with sunburn to where my shirt was drenched and rubbing, giving me little blisters all over my stomach. I had the body to feel confident too, but I didnt (im pregnant right now so its out of the question lol). It would be so much better to not have to wear a shirt, but i have body image issues. I say go for it! Some ppl will dislike it, but who cares. You arent there for them, and nobody will report you to the police lol.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I usually only wear mine at home in front of the mirror, smearing on lipstick and reciting lines from Silence of the Lambs.

^ IT puts the lotion in the basket. *shiver*
    - - -

OP - I think you should wear whatever you like! :flowerforyou:

I myself would not go outside in a sports bra, but that's because I have gut. My gut has its own name and everything. :laugh:

I don't think it's tacky or anything - to me, probably the only places where that would be inappropriate would be a place of worship and maybe if you were visiting a prison. :wink: