pure laziness

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's no real skin off your nose to wait an extra 20 seconds while somebody waits for a spot, right? Use that time to finish singing along with the song on the radio. :)
    It's rarely 20 seconds, I've timed weights at over a minute. Additionally, in busy parking lots a "mere" 20 second wait can translate to a back-up of 5 or more cars. Yesterday at the grocery store this happened to us. We were the 6th car behind someone who was waiting for a parking spot (and people came up behind us while we were waiting). Is it *really* that important that you get a good parking spot, that you can hold 6+ cars full of people hostage while you wait? Are you really that special? If you have a medical problem that makes walking difficult, get an appropriate plate/placard. I understand children are an issue, but you know what, you're the parent, if you don't think it is safe for your child to walk, don't let them walk.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I for one park the furthest away everytime.... My sister is Handicap and has issues walking long distances. If there isn't a Handicap parking spot available she will wait for a spot. Rarely does she park far away, it's just too hard for her without assistance or someone to help her.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I tend to park far from the door so I can usually get back to my car without a lot of people around but as often as not I'll come back from parking "solo" and be surrounded....

I like playing with the "space hawks" though.... oooh you're waiting for that perfect spot... excuse me while I walk up to this car 5 spots down in the aisle while digging out my keys.... ok you saw me going to it.. you're signalling to take the spot I'm not even in the car and... walk out the other side of the dual-row of cars and walk further down that aisle to my car out in the middle of no-where :P

Lmao. I love this game
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I see people parked in the "fire lane" up close by the store, just waiting for people to come out of the store.

Huh - I do this. What is wrong with this? If I don't leave my car and I'm not in the way, I don't see the issue. I believe I'm less of an annoying hazard than if I'm out mindlessly circling and dodging shoppers in the parking lot.

Isn't it illegal? Isn't that why it is the "fire lane", to have it clear of vehicles if emergency responders need to use it?

Good question. I guess I've always assumed that if an emergency responder needed to use it, I would just drive away. (See comment about not leaving the car.)

If you're talking about folks who actually PARK there and go in, then I'm right there with you, sister!

When I go to Wal-Mart for my weekly shopping trip, I've gone in and saw a vehicle sitting in the fire lane (this has happened a few times) and did my shopping (probably takes me about an hour when I rush... I hate wal-mart, I rush) and came back out when done and the same car was still sitting there, with somebody sitting in it. That is what bothers me. That and yes, the people who leave their car and go shopping. Maybe this is one of the reasons I often see police cars patroling the parking lot.

I wish those police cars would patrol at the local Food Lion. These slackers park in the areas that have the lines going across them at the beginning of the row (these are obviously not places to be parking your vehicle) even when there is an open spot 5-6 cars down!!! And they are not elderly, handicapped, or needing to...They are just plain lazy! That really bothers me. I don't know why they think they are special and can park there.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i didnt read all the responses so if this is a repeat, sorry.

i think it's instant gratification.
    people THRIVE on it now. they can't be bothered to walk 47 seconds to the store. people are rushing thru life...i'm guilty of it as well, and i dont consider myself lazy.
    id rather get in, get out, and go home to where i wanna be, or be on my way to wherever i'm headed. :)
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I lol when I see people doing that at the gym I go to. :/ Other than that, idc.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I go to Wal-Mart for my weekly shopping trip, I've gone in and saw a vehicle sitting in the fire lane (this has happened a few times) and did my shopping (probably takes me about an hour when I rush... I hate wal-mart, I rush) and came back out when done and the same car was still sitting there, with somebody sitting in it.

O_o

Wal-mart people scare me.

I worked there on 3rd shift for almost a year back in 2006.... you are right to be scared. :frown: We've seen cross dressers, I witnessed two guys come in obviously high on something and they smelled like they had bathed in lysol. I missed a lot of the crazy things other workers said they had witnessed. But one night I finally saw that cross dresser.
  • mandihdz
    mandihdz Posts: 19
    Options
    lmbo!!! i feel the pressure too!! that's so funny! btw im in TX too! lol...
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    I hate it when I see people parked in the "fire lane" up close by the store, just waiting for people to come out of the store.

Huh - I do this. What is wrong with this? If I don't leave my car and I'm not in the way, I don't see the issue. I believe I'm less of an annoying hazard than if I'm out mindlessly circling and dodging shoppers in the parking lot.

Isn't it illegal? Isn't that why it is the "fire lane", to have it clear of vehicles if emergency responders need to use it?

Good question. I guess I've always assumed that if an emergency responder needed to use it, I would just drive away. (See comment about not leaving the car.)

If you're talking about folks who actually PARK there and go in, then I'm right there with you, sister!

When I go to Wal-Mart for my weekly shopping trip, I've gone in and saw a vehicle sitting in the fire lane (this has happened a few times) and did my shopping (probably takes me about an hour when I rush... I hate wal-mart, I rush) and came back out when done and the same car was still sitting there, with somebody sitting in it. That is what bothers me. That and yes, the people who leave their car and go shopping. Maybe this is one of the reasons I often see police cars patroling the parking lot.

I wish those police cars would patrol at the local Food Lion. These slackers park in the areas that have the lines going across them at the beginning of the row (these are obviously not places to be parking your vehicle) even when there is an open spot 5-6 cars down!!! And they are not elderly, handicapped, or needing to...They are just plain lazy! That really bothers me. I don't know why they think they are special and can park there.

I've seen that at Wal-Mart too. And how often people hit those stop signs in the parking lot is absolutely ridiculous!! I swear once a month somebody is driving into a stop sign in the parking lot. And it's not in a spot that people can back into it either, they literally plow right into them.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm just still wondering why any of this matters in the grand scheme of things. Does that 30 seconds you waited behind someone in the parking lot really ruin your whole day? Because if so, you need to take something out of your schedule. Does it really harm you in any way if someone wants or needs to drive to the gym instead of biking? Maybe they have a lot of crap in their gym bag and don't want to carry it. Or maybe they don't like walking alone at night. Or maybe they just like to drive their car. Why do you care?

Pet peeves are just an excuse to be mad about something that doesnt' actually affect you in the slightest. Take deep breaths and enjoy the moment. You'll be happier that way.

:heart: I couldn't agree with you more! People are so judgmental. Give it a rest. Work on yourself and stop worrying about everyone else. You might even lower your blood pressure! Maybe being judgmental burns calories, so they get to log all their "judgmental time" on MFP and eat more???????
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm also in TX & experiance this regularly, but since I 've been here my entire life I just figured it was normal every where. Luckily, since trying to get in shape this year, I routinely avoid this by parking as far back in the parking lot whenever possible. I figure that it is quite little the 'extra little steps' I'm taking towards better health & a better me. :happy:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If I have my daughter and am getting a bigger order of groceries or something, I will wait and circle. I don't care if anyone thinks that makes me lazy. It's not like you HAVE to go anywhere near the crowded parts of lot most times of the year. If it really bothers you, most parking lots have more than one entrance, use the one that is closest to the back of the lot, park in the back without even going into the crowded areas -- it's that simple. You get your steps and you don't have to wait. Or get frustrated.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the walking that bothers them. I think people just want to "win".

lol that definitely becomes a factor for me. its like the Seinfeld episode where Costanza got a parking place right in front of the hospital. he was so proud. he tried to get everyone to look at it. of course the best part was when the guy committed suicide by jumping off the roof and landed on his car. :D
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can see why people in Texas do this, sometimes. When it's nice outside, there's no reason for it. However, in mid-summer, when it's already 115 degrees outside, you don't want to walk across a hot asphalt parking lot (that is even worse from everyone idling their cars waiting in line for the close spots.) There's no wind or even a breeze here in the summer, you step out of your car and the heat sucks the air right out of your lungs. By the time you get to the store, the rubber on the bottom of your shoes has gone soft and you're sweating head to toe and panting like a dog, you feel like your skin is on fire... blech, it's just nasty:sick: My solution: I either go early morning or late in the day when its only 95 degrees outside. At Wal-Mart, I just park in the Automotive department lot; its almost always near empty.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    There's no wind or even a breeze here in the summer, you step out of your car and the heat sucks the air right out of your lungs. By the time you get to the store, the rubber on the bottom of your shoes has gone soft and you're sweating head to toe and panting like a dog, you feel like your skin is on fire...

My solution: I either go early morning or late in the day when its only 95 degrees outside. At Wal-Mart, I just park in the Automotive department lot; its almost always near empty.

Wow.

My solution: Don't live in Texas.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I worked there on 3rd shift for almost a year back in 2006.... you are right to be scared. :frown: We've seen cross dressers
    Wow...
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it if the car they are waiting for is getting ready to back out. The ones I hate are the ones that will literaly follow the people down the lane to see what car they are getting in and then they wait for them to unload their groceries and everything. To me it's not just laziness its rudeness. They sit there waiting only thinking about themselves. Not about the traffic jam behind them and that the rest of us just want to get in and out of the store and don't mind walking a few more steps to do so.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    <<==Asian Woman Driver. Double strikes. Imma park wherever I can safely get in and out of a spot.

:laugh: I'm the same!
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    <<==Asian Woman Driver. Double strikes. Imma park wherever I can safely get in and out of a spot.

High five!!!!
    i don't know about what's with asian women, this is the same reason that i got in trouble with my wife. i don't mind parking somewhere further. but i agree when i ask her it's all about safety. which makes me feel secure when she's all alone out there

Dude please. We're also ninjas. Safety is not an issue here, aside from driving.

Also, you ask what's up with us Asian drivers? Tokyo Drift?? Harrow?!?!

Just to be extra safe though, I carry pepper spray and a tazer. Just sayin'...
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    I worked there on 3rd shift for almost a year back in 2006.... you are right to be scared. :frown: We've seen cross dressers
    Wow...

Now, I'm not criticizing that guy for being a cross dresser. Living in a small town, it sure surprises you when you are at work and go into your designated department for the night and see a guy standing there in a dress, make-up and heels. and it was clearly a guy, hairy chest and legs.