How did you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I met my wife when she joined a band that a keyboard player and I had started after our previous project tanked. Actually, the keyboard player did all the work, put tons of ads on craigslist. She was the first singer to come try out. He took her on the spot, no real afterthought. I told him he was nuts. The one thing I'll never forget, though, was her boyfriend at the time eyeballing me like I was there to take her away from him. I had no idea why....I found her attractive, but was out to live the rockstar dream, have as much fun and chase as much tail as possible. Ultimately I guess he was right, but not at that time. We were in the band for over a year and a half and while her relationship with the other guy got worse, our on stage antics were starting to become more noticeable, even by family and friends. It took the right moment for her to leave him and has been with me ever since. We'll be married 2 years in September \m/
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through a mutual friend of ours. I enjoyed his conversation, as he was fairly easy to talk to...and the fact that we had the same religious beliefs.
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    at church. simple and sweet. :) Been together 6 years now.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    We met in the army. We were in the same company but different platoons. I hate hated him on sight cuz every word he spoke was always some smart *kitten* comment. Its funny how we started dating cuz. He was trying to hook up with one of my friends and she doubled booked dates!

So she begged me to take him off her hands though I really didn't want to but we started really talking and I disdcovered he wasn't a complete a#$%hole and 12 years later here we are and my friend's been thru 2 divorces go figure.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    At work, he worked in IT and I in Personnel :-)
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I met my wife when she joined a band that a keyboard player and I had started after our previous project tanked. Actually, the keyboard player did all the work, put tons of ads on craigslist. She was the first singer to come try out. He took her on the spot, no real afterthought. I told him he was nuts. The one thing I'll never forget, though, was her boyfriend at the time eyeballing me like I was there to take her away from him. I had no idea why....I found her attractive, but was out to live the rockstar dream, have as much fun and chase as much tail as possible. Ultimately I guess he was right, but not at that time. We were in the band for over a year and a half and while her relationship with the other guy got worse, our on stage antics were starting to become more noticeable, even by family and friends. It took the right moment for her to leave him and has been with me ever since. We'll be married 2 years in September \m/

This is the best story ever.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    here :)
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met on a fix-up. He met a friend of mine at a bar and they exchanged numbers and email but didn't really hit it off. And she thought he would like me so she asked me if I would mind if he emailed me. We exchanged pictures and we each brought a friend with us and met at a local restaurant to talk and have drinks.

I think it is very sweet that you love your girl so much and that you feel romantic enough about it to express it to the world like this. She should hold onto you tightly!
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    We had a college night class together (chemistry!) and I was hoping to get someone in the class to date me so I would have someone to walk me to my car, as the school was in a very sketchy neighborhood. When we met, we talked in my car for hours before we left for our homes. Turns out he was from my grandma's neighborhood, where I spent a lot of time, so we knew places and people, and had lots of funny stories about the old neighborhood. That was over forty years ago, we've been married since 1971:drinker:
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Clarendon Ballroom in Arlington, Virginia. Summer of 2007. I saw him and was like, oh wow, he's HOT. I then approached him and we have been together ever since. I love him so much.♥
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I met him Salsa dancing. He kept asking me to dance and annoying me with questions like, "Are you married? Do you have children? Do you have a boyfriend?" When I was leaving, he stopped me and asked, "Are you leaving?" I said, "Yes. It is Thursday and I work tomorrow." Then he asked, "Where do you live?" I thought, "STALKER ALERT!" I replied with just the name of the town. Then he said, "I live there too!" and recited his entire street address down to the condo number.

He turned out to be my direct downstairs neighbor for over 3 years, and we had never met before. He started teasing me about being such a noisy upstairs neighbor, so I told him that I had just bought a house that day and he wouldn't have to put up with me much longer.

Then he offered to help me fix up the house. But I am very handy myself, so I said, "No thank you." Then he offered to help me move. I said, "Here is my business card. Call me this weekend!"

Well, he helped me move as promised. He's helped me with a ton of home improvement projects. He is still my salsa dance partner. We were married 1 year after we met and are going on our 8th wedding anniversary this summer. We also have 2 great kids.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have only had an allergic reaction once that put me in the ER since I couldn't breathe (to this day we have know clue what I was allergic to). A friend took me to the ER, and had to leave so she could pick up her friend form the airport. Apparently, some of the reactions I have to benadryl (first time I ever took it) are hyperness, acting like I am three sheets to the wind, poor motor skills, and everything is funny. When my friend and my future husband came to pick me up from the ER I started talking to lightning and thunder in the car. Hhe wanted to know what I was on, and was very amused it was only benadryl!

Love that story!! This August will be 8 years, and our marriage has been an adventure from the start!
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    WhiteOnRice.

ROFL! I'm Filipino and my husband is White.

My hubby is Filipino and I am white lol. We met on Myspace actually. I saw his picture when they started doing that "do you know?" We didn't know each other but he was in the marines and stationed in my area. I had a really terrible year before meeting him and had just broken up with "the love of my life" or so I thought. I needed to take my mind off of the ex so I messaged him, and we talked on myspace for a few days and then he was on leave and I was working nights so he stayed up and kept me awake. We went around the issue of dating, he just got out of a serious relationship too, so then he asked me to just hang out at the local Drive In (he never been to it and didn't know we had one, but I was raised there) anyways, two days before we were supposed to go out my BFF texted me and told me she was going to have to cancel because her family was doing something and needed her. So I was all alone so was he, so we met up in walmart lol. Went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and the rest his history
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    I lived in Dayton, Ohio my entire life and at the age of 21 left because I joined the AF. I became stationed at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM. First day there, my Ohio State Buckeyes were playing. I didn't know anybody yet so I went to the dorm day room to watch the game. I was wearing my jersey. All of these guys started coming in to talk to me because there are only a few girls and a ton of guys. One very cute guy came in because he saw my jersey. He was from Cleveland, Ohio. Invited me to a party that night so I could meet some people. He wasn't interested in me because he had a girlfriend of 8 years. After a few times of hanging out, he broke up with his girlfriend, and we were married 5 months later :) Been married over 2 years now. I lived in Ohio my entire life and it took me moving to Albuquerque to meet a good guy from Ohio!
  • kimdarren
    kimdarren Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    While in junior high school he was a friend of a friend of mine. Whenever the two of them walked by me I used to say 'hello Ross' and then when they were out of ear shot I'd cheekily say 'hello Ross' friend'

It turned out a year later I had met this guy (the brother of a friend) and we all hung out together (about 10 of us). I had just broken up with one boyfriend and Tim (Martin's best friend) had asked me out. I said I'd think about it and let him know. the next morning Martin (my husband) asked me out. I thought OMG what am I gonna do. So I said no to both of them. In the end, Martin and I just couldn't be without each other so I told him 3 days later that yes, I would be his girlfriend - that was on my 14th birthday.

Eventually a couple of years later I was looking at some photos that Martin's mum had of him and there was a picture of him and Ross. I realised in this picture it was the guy that I always said 'hi Ross' friend' once he was out of ear shot - IT WAS MARTIN!

Needless to say, from that moment on I've always thought we were meant to be. We've been married for 23yrs and have two lovely boys.

Don't let anyone tell you you're too young. I'm a firm believer in 'if it's meant to be, it's meant to be' :love:

K
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 15 =) I told him within 5 minutes of meeting him I was going to marry him haha. He thought I was crazy, but here we are! We've known eachother for 8 years and been married for 5 =).
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    =) High school! I'd been rejected by someone I had a crush on and was crying my eyes out...James, who was one of the guys I sat with at lunch, walked over and gave me a candy cane...A few weeks later, we were playing tic-tac-toe on a scrap of paper and he wrote "Date?" on the paper...I wrote back "Sure". I have half, always with me, and he has half with him....even when he deployed to Afghanistan last year. We've been together for 5 years...and married for 9 months. Most of our relationship was long distance after he enlisted, but we pulled through!!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    ICQ instant messaging lol

lol that is how I met my husband:)
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I met my husband at the Fort Lauderdale Beach back when you could cruise the strip during spring break. He actually noticed me when I was walking down the sidewalk and honked and I thought to myself "how rude" Then later when my friends and I were leaving, I was driving and getting tired, so I asked my friend to drive. We did the Chinese fire drill in the middle of the street and my husband happened to be in the car behind us. He pulled up next to us and asked If I had a boyfriend and I said no, he then aksed if I would like one. For whatever reason, I actually gave him my correct phone number and here we are 23 years later, have been married for 19 and have two amazing kids. :blushing:
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I met him on April 12th. He messaged me at OKCupid. I took a quick glance at his profile and saw something about God and, since I'm Atheist/maybe Agnostic I decided to pass and sent him a polite "I think we would definitely not get along" note". He wrote back to tell me that I was wrong and I wrote back listing some of my worst faults. He thought that was funny and sent me some of his. I wrote back with more. I even lied - when he said he loved my dimples, I denied that I had dimples and insisted that he give up. By this time, I was liking his sense of humor and couldn't bring myself to "dump him". So I read his profile again and looked at a lot of his answers in the question and answer section and found that his brand of religion was very tolerable and worked for me. He's actually spiritual and not interested in church culture (I was raised in that and detest it). Over 2,000 min on the phone and 18 days later, we were living together. It's an unusual way to start a relationship, but HEY, we're happy.