oatmeal...good or bad ?

Options

Replies

• alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    By the way, I'm assuming the $6 oats you're referring to is an imported brand like McCann's Irish. Yes, those metal cans can be pricey. Depending on your location, you may be able to find cheaper options like buying an alternate brand or even at the bulk foods bin. I pay about $1.29 US a pound for my steel cut oats which is hardly a budget buster.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What kinds of protein powder are people using in the oatmeal. This is new to me.

I use whey protein in mine. Have tried Body Fortress from Walmart and Gold Standard from GNC.

I found cooking the oatmeal with the powder made it lumpy. To remedy that, I mix a scoop of powder with a few tbs of water (or milk if you have cals to spare) and pour it on after, kind of like a glaze. I'm currently obsessed with chocolate oatmeal.
  • KatieHugsBugs
    KatieHugsBugs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday!

I always get the Quaker Instant Original Oatmeal Packets, they have no added sugar! :wink:
    I always eat mine with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries & Cinnamon, plus a banana on the side and keeps me full!
  • sugarmomma3
    Options
    I eat oat revelation oatmeal with flax and it ties me over til lunch no prob. I love adding raw sunflower seeds or frozen blueberries or brown sugar...just a smidge. Oatmeals very healthy for you. Lowers cholesterol too. If you like it keep eating it. Its healthy..really healthy.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm new to my goal of eating and living better so I'm not an expert.
    But 98% of the time, I eat steel cut oatmeal with a teaspoon of cinnamon. I don't add sugar or honey (thank God I'm a person who really don't have a sweet tooth).
    It fills me up and starts my day great.
    As for another poster stating weight gain with oatmeal, I'm losing weight but it might depend on that person body.
  • julianna75287
    julianna75287 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good in small quantities. If you your a male trying to increase muscle mass then you would use 1/4 to 1/2 dry whole plain uncooked oats to help you . No milk no butter or sugar .Stevia is a better natural sweetener, I cant believe its butter spray 0calories 0 sodium .Awesome stuff and 6 to 12 egg whites to the meal ..eat protein every 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs with a veggie and 1 apple a day . It works
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    No single food item is responsible for weight gain.

this ^
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat the same Quaker oatmeal my parents made me when I was a kid. And I make it the same way: cooked in a saucepan on the stove. My nutrition is balanced by the time I get to the end of the day. I've maintained my goal weight for a year.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It depends how to prepare it. Just adding boiling water = bad, cooking it on stove = good. After cooking it on a stove, I can't go back to just adding boiling water.
  • albertnico
    Options
    Based on what I read, my take would be that oatmeal is bad. I eat porrige with organic rolled oats (50/50 water and light milk, nothing else added).

Yuk!?!?!

I managed to reprogram my brain and taste to like very clean food. For example, I eat plain salad no dressing, max a mini-pinch of salt on my meat as I know it is important, no oil in cooking in general, sometimes a bit in my sweet potato mash.

After quitting smoking, I produced a video about my take on diet-fitness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2JqVrbbnE

I will be releasing a practical example of the stuff I eat in conjuction with my workout this week.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Been eating Quik Oats oatmeal with bluberries or bananas at least 3 times a week for breakfast and maybe what you said it true,,, NOT !! I steadily lose 2 + pounds every week !!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Foods aren't good or bad they are just food. If you like it eat it as part of a balanced diet. On my long run days I love porridge with Dates, Sultanas and coconut. Lovely. Fuels me for hours
  • MissBellatrix
    Options
    Moderation is the key, and for me, old fashioned oat meals are way more better than the instant ones...
  • nitalieb
    Options
    I've taken to mixing raw oatmeal with sugar free muesli and yogurt.

Works for me.

No mid-morning hunger pangs either.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I mix muesli, raw oatmeal, yoghurt, honey and cinnamon and leave it in the fridge over night, its AMAZING!
  • CptJinxx
    CptJinxx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day.

My favorite is simple chocolate oatmeal.

1 cup rolled oats.
    1 1/2 cups milk.

Cook.

Add 3 tbsp Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.
    Add sweetener to taste.

Best chocolaty treat ever, I look forward to it every day!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Based on what I read, my take would be that oatmeal is bad. I eat porrige with organic rolled oats (50/50 water and light milk, nothing else added).

Yuk!?!?!

I managed to reprogram my brain and taste to like very clean food. For example, I eat plain salad no dressing, max a mini-pinch of salt on my meat as I know it is important, no oil in cooking in general, sometimes a bit in my sweet potato mash.

After quitting smoking, I produced a video about my take on diet-fitness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2JqVrbbnE

I will be releasing a practical example of the stuff I eat in conjuction with my workout this week.
    lolwut? Sounds like self destruction based on what you've said so far.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat normal oats everyday whether cutting or bulking. The cheapest you can get. So presumably not steel cut. Possibly squished by Chinese orphans working 29 hour shifts. I like to think that I'm keeping a child in employment who would otherwise have to go into prostitution.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite foods for weight loss, or at least when I've reached a point where I stop losing. I prefer the oat bran, with, yes, butter and sugar (I saw my cholesterol level drop significantly, even though I ate it with a little butter).

But, if I ever reach a stall, something like a big bowl of oat bran helps get me moving again.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I only eat steel-cut oats because they do not contribute to high blood sugar the way that those packets of instant oatmeal do. Plus, I like the nubbly texture of steel-cut oats as opposed to the pasty texture of regular oatmeal. Steel-cut tastes way better too and they have a higher amount of protein. With a generous dollop of butter (and soft-boiled eggs on top) I am in taste heaven. :-)