oatmeal...good or bad ?

Options

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    i eat oatmeal every day.

Me too.

Same :) and I've lost 6 lbs in the last month.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Irish oatmeal!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of proatmeal. Regular oatmeal with a scoop of your favorite protein powder flavor.

I second this. Also love adding almonds or pecan slices to oatmeal and some fruit (berries or banana are my favorites)
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eat 1/2 cup oatmeal, banana, 2 cups of coffee......thats my normal breakfast Monday - Friday.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I eat it every single day and I hit my goal months ago. I do 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 cut up mango, 1/8th cup walnuts, 1 tbls ground flax, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. If I am out of mangos I use an apple. (I'm eating some right now, actually. LOL)

I personally wouldn't touch the sugar free packet kind though. Ick.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat overnight oats every morning OM NOM
  • SilentNightfall
    Options
    I've been considering adding oatmeal to my diet in the morning as part of my weight training meal plans. If I do, I'd definitely be adding some whey protein isolate in there along with skim milk for flavor.

The only thing that bothers me is several articles I've been reading about whole grains and such being bad for you, and that one should limit them to 1 day per week if you have to eat them at all. The reasons given are generally that we, as a species, have not evolved to the point where we can easily digest whole grains and the like. As another poster in this thread pointed out, after dropping whole grain breads, pasta, etc. from her diet, she was able to break out of her weight loss plateau.

I guess I'm just wondering what you all feel about this since I would like to have another go to breakfast food aside from eggs that I can easily make quickly in the morning, but I don't want to put anything in my body consistently that will be bad for it in the long run. I can certainly say that, seeing as I live and work in Japan, having a great carb like oatmeal would be extremely beneficial since veggies are so expensive, as are fruits, and so I generally reserve those for dinner time.

Anyway, all opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to sound off.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i dont care if its good or bad .. I hate oatmeal and i never eat it, just the consistency makes me :sick:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...The only thing that bothers me is several articles I've been reading about whole grains and such being bad for you, and that one should limit them to 1 day per week if you have to eat them at all. The reasons given are generally that we, as a species, have not evolved to the point where we can easily digest whole grains and the like. As another poster in this thread pointed out, after dropping whole grain breads, pasta, etc. from her diet, she was able to break out of her weight loss plateau...
    There are some who ardently believe and practice this. There are others (myself included) who think it's a big, foul, steaming, stinking pile of bull excrement in terms of applying it to the entire human population.

Some people have genuine, diagnosed metabolic issues with certain foods. I don't deny that. If you're one of them, cutting out grains or gluten or whatever ails you is a legitimate concern. Barring such issues, I think it's utterly ridiculous to completely exclude any food or food group from your diet.

As far as the original topic: I like oatmeal. I don't eat it for breakfast often because protein is the first macronutrient I try to fulfill every day, so my breakfast usually consists of something based upon eggs or egg whites - but I do occasionally have a bowl of oatmeal (sometimes with whey protein mixed in).
  • sauerkr
    sauerkr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat Oat fit by BetterOats. It only has 100 calories, no sugar, and is the lowest carb oatmeal I could find.
  • joezlim
    joezlim Posts: 1
    Options
    Please do not use microwave food. It kills the nutrients, it's like eating dead food. Instant oatmeal is not healthy. It has high Glycemic Index. Glycemic index and glycemic load offer information about how foods affect blood sugar and insulin. The lower a food's glycemic index or glycemic load, the less it affects blood sugar and insulin levels. For diabetic patients, do not take instant oatmeal. Go for cooked oatmeal.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use old fashioned oatmeal. I put a banana, dried cranberries, and cinnamon in it. It tastes sooo good!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning...steel cut, stay away from the instant oatmeal packets.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    I do old-fashioned oats. I make mine with milk (skim) so it has more nutrients and is a bit more filling. I also think it tastes better, though I can't say what the difference is. I'll add whatever fruit I have (apple, banana, berries, peach, pear, raisins) either fresh or frozen. If I need to really fuel up, I'll add some nuts. If I have it I'll put in some granola. At my grandpa's house I always add coconut flakes. For sweetness I use honey or molasses, or rarely a smidge of brown sugar. For flavor I'll add cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, or a mix. Even with a bunch of stuff added it is not a lot of calories and ends up with a good deal of nutrients.

I only use the packets for backpacking. They're a bit too sweet for my taste and not enough fruit.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No single food item is responsible for weight gain.

This.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal, eat it every morning.

Irish oats
    cinnamon
    vanilla
    applesauce (no sugar added type)
    blueberries
    dash of nutmeg
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat it every night to avoid midnight snacking. It works and keeps my mind under control-- as well as my cravings :)
    But I can't use water....I use soy milk- it smells weird but I love it.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Love oatmeal, eat it every morning.

Irish oats
    cinnamon
    vanilla
    applesauce (no sugar added type)
    blueberries
    dash of nutmeg

ooh, applesauce sounds good. I'll have to try that sometime.

I also know a lot of people who put in peanut butter or some jam. I could totally go for some nutella in it, but I try to stay away from nutella (if I buy it I eat nothing else for two or three days until it is completely gone)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I admit that I put too much sugar in mine, though. I can't stand it without!