Replies

• annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Love oatmeal, too! Yum!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is fine, just don't get the kinds loaded with sugar (a lot of the instant packets are) I get the large containers of plain oatmeal at Walmart for about 2 dollars and add my own apple and cinnamon, vanilla, etc
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    REAL OATMEAL IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. HOW CAN IT BE?

I WOULD BUY THE RAW, STEEL CUT OR OLD FASHIONED OR WHATEVER. AS LONG AS IT ISN'T THE KIND YOU BUY IN THE PACKETS. THOSE THINGS ARE PACKED WITH SUGAR.

JUST ADD SOME BROWN SUGAR OR HONEY OR FRUIT AND NUTS TO IT.

I LOVE IT WITH WALNUTS AND RAISINS.

WHY WOULD ANYONE SAY IT'S BAD FOR YOU?
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I EAT ROLLED OATS EVERY MRNG. 1/2 C. WIT 1C WATER, 1TBSP NATURAL P.B.
    CINNAMON (HOWEVER MUCH U PREFER)
    DASH OF NUTMEG
    SPLASH OF ORIGINAL SILK SOYMILK
    1 SCOOP OF BODY FORTRESS VANILLA CREME
    1 1/2 OZ OF FRESH BLUEBERRIES
    1 PACKET OF STEVIA (OPTIONAL)
    IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all caps.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyday I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal with a cup of water cooked in the microwave for 90 seconds and topped with fresh berries every day. Love it! And I lost two pounds last week.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVE oatmeal - pumpkin pie oatmeal and coconut banana oatmeal are my favourites!

I can't eat the packaged ones, one serving is so freaking tiny, doesn't fill me up and is packed with added sugar.

So easy to microwave some large flake oats on your own, there's more of it, and it's better for you.

Quality AND quantity!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat it every single day as well. I would NOT eat the sugar free packet kind though. Sugar free usually means "chemical *kitten* storm."

I do 1/2 cup pure oats, 1 cut up apple, 1/8 cup chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons organic ground flax, sprinkle of cinnamon (and if you want a bit of sweetener, 1/2 tablespoon organic 100% maple syrup grade b.) 380 cal (405 if you add the maple syrup) but 14 fiber and 12 protein and it keeps you full forever. HAHA
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Doesn't it reduce cholesterol? I don't add any sugar to mine, I make it with semi-skimmed milk and serve it over tinned fruit or a sliced banana to sweeten it up naturally. Keeps me much fuller than toast.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Real oatmeal (or porridge as its known in the UK) is fantastic. Avoid the packaged flavoured instant stuff, and go straight to real oats. I have it for breakfast most days made in the microwave with half skimmed milk & water and I add either a scoop of protein mix, a little maple syrup or fresh fruit. Keeps me full, is healthy, and is a great carrier for other flavours. Enjoy :-)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal..there's just so many ways you can make it! My favourite would be with strawberries and blueberries, chia seeds, almond milk, and then topped with strawberry greek yogurt and cinnamon.

Overnight oats are interesting too.. You combine all your ingredients, but leave it overnight in the fridge. It's a little weird eating cold oatmeal, but seems appropriate in the summer. Plus makes mornings easier to get through, instead of rushing getting ready, just grab from the fridge and eat!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I ate oatmeal every day when i was losing 2 lbs a week!
    Steel cut oats, protein powder, water, Truvia, and cinnamon. Sometimes I would add some sweet potato, banana, cocoa powder, or some other fruits. NOT the packaged stuff.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i lost 80lbs and i eat oatmeal all the time ..plain with a tablespoon of chia seeds and cinnamon . i buy the five minute cook oats not the minute one. i dont get steal cut because im too cheap but hey my blood pressure is improved , cholesterol went down and i lost weight so it cant be all that bad
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have old-fashion oatmeal a few times a week. I add cocoa powder, peanut butter and brown sugar and choc. chips, mmmm!

And it's under 400 cals.
  • AlliedF
    AlliedF Posts: 9
    Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast is very good for our mental health it helps restore the serotonin in the brain which keeps us balanced and helps maintain our well-being. Red berries, like strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, cinnamon, nutmeg and bananas are all good for that feel -good factor our brains need every day! Sleep is the other factor required for mental well- being is restores the serotonin as we sleep.
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i eat oatmeal every day.

Me too.

Eat it every morning. And sometimes as a bedtime snack.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal all the time! its so good for you: but those packets , I am not so sure about.. the sugar free ones taste like freezer burnt *kitten* and the other flavored ones are loaded with sugar

oh and its a great add to my yogurt.. if u like a little texture
  • beanstalk72
    beanstalk72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    very good for you-they even had it on the show biggest losser
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It may be good, but I don't like any of the oatmeals mentioned in this post. I tolerate a little bit the instant ones but they are too high in carbs and sugar, So out they go.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good. It has a cholesterol calming effect and is a better choice than say a doughnut. The instant oatmeal is less good, but still a better choice than a danish or some other breakfast pastry. The process of making it instant strips the oatmeal of some of it's good qualities.

When I eat it, which isn't so often since I have some trouble digesting it, I prefer to make it the old fashioned way and just put a little cinnamon on it. Maybe some brown sugar if I'm feeling wild. I'm kind of boring.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yum, I love me some oatmeal!

1/2 cup of Old Fashioned (not quick cook), 1 cup of water, a tablespoon or two of flax seed. Heat it up then throw frozen blueberries in there. Delicious and fills me up until lunch!