Am i the only one it pisses off

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I seriously hate when people set up camp at the cable stands...they will bring a pair of dumbbells, swiss balls, and a bunch of other useless "functional" stability equipment and superset everything with cables, etc.
    I nicknames these people "cable b*tches"

Also, guys who do freakin' barbell curls in squat racks!

Yes to all of this, sometimes I think people are just trying to be like "look I'm better than you, because I do this workout I made up while doing two others at the same time."
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Let me say this again so those who zutomatically took offense and attacked.....if there is effort put into it...if you are there to work out.. Hey i am the one who will be ur damm cheerleader.....

BUT ifyou are goingtostand on the elliptical watching tv while talking to ur friend giving a play by play of what happens on the real housewives of wherever....its a little annoying.... Or if you put that friend on hold to loudly argue with your boyfriend about whatever weirc thing happened....that is irratating.....

If you then move to the wight machine and sit on the bench and proceed to sit for 20 minutes so that ppl all ove the gym are wanting to kill her... That is my problem

Not your grandfather who is putting ineffortor the 57year old with bad knees or theoverweight lady giving it her 100% iam talking about the people who dont understand that others r there to workout....

Is that clearer now? I am sure none of you who have attacked and said i was iggnorant or think i am talking about them will come back or read this... But if you do...unless your using the gym as ateenager uses her bedroom and everyone else there diesnt matter then no

i am not talkimg about u....
    Again please read jesus

Funny how you bring all that up AFTER you get jumped on,looks a lot like you are trying to save face

actucally i have been saying it from the start.. but people seem to read and see only what they want...
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My mom and I sometimes go to the gym together. It is a small place and there are only 2 of the types of exercise bikes that she likes to use. When we got there, two men are sitting at the bikes watching a Cardinal's baseball game. They were not using the bikes and did not even have their feet on the pedals once. They were just sitting there, watching the game and yelling things out to the T.V. My mom ended up doing some other machines, but was a little upset and disappointed that she could not get the workout that she wanted that day.

I am out of shape and I move slowly on a machine. I do the best that I can I hope no one judges me for it. However, I am actually using the machine. I think these men were very rude to be using the gym as a sports bar. Aren't there other places in town where they could have gone to watch a baseball game on T.V.? Looking back now, I guess one of us should have said something to them.

I realize that they paid their dues the same as everyone else, but they should have at least made it look like they were sort of working out instead of just sitting there for the entire 90 minutes we were there.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    I have severe fibromyalgia. While normally I will go for a hard burn, there are days that the fact that I made it out of bed was a victory. I still go workout, but I will do a slow workout because I don't want to end up in bed for three days. You don't know what that person has going on in his/her life. It could be a major victory that they made it to the gym in the first place.

Let me say this again so those who zutomatically took offense and attacked.....if there is effort put into it...if you are there to work out.. Hey i am the one who will be ur damm cheerleader.....

BUT ifyou are goingtostand on the elliptical watching tv while talking to ur friend giving a play by play of what happens on the real housewives of wherever....its a little annoying.... Or if you put that friend on hold to loudly argue with your boyfriend about whatever weirc thing happened....that is irratating.....

If you then move to the wight machine and sit on the bench and proceed to sit for 20 minutes so that ppl all ove the gym are wanting to kill her... That is my problem

Not your grandfather who is putting ineffortor the 57year old with bad knees or theoverweight lady giving it her 100% iam talking about the people who dont understand that others r there to workout....

Is that clearer now? I am sure none of you who have attacked and said i was iggnorant or think i am talking about them will come back or read this... But if you do...unless your using the gym as ateenager uses her bedroom and everyone else there diesnt matter then no

• jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    Not everyone can or should exercise at the same pace as everyone else. My mom used to be very active and strong, now she can barely walk on a treadmill, and watching her on the stationary bike seems like a joke. She moves her feet very slowly when on a bike and walks slowly on a treadmill, but can walk fast anywhere else. That's because of problems that she has on the nerves of her legs, but if you were to see her, you would think that she has not problem at all. I'm really proud to see that even through pain, she's exercising. So, what I'm saying is, don't judge! Not everyone has the same ability as you. Some people might have problems that you don't know about!

• jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    Possible that they have been working out and finishing a long session so winding down. I don't get upset at the gym with people cause we're really all struggling to get fit, stay fit and do it in the limited time we have available.

• jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    I myself cannot stand workingout all sweaty and out of breathe, so i workout at my pace... i have a delicate knee too, so i don't want to aggrave it... and like many have said , as long as you MOVE, that's the important thing...

Besides, 30 minutes of a good pace walking burns just as much as a 10 minute run... so relax, let people workout at their own pace. When you have the machine, you do what you want, and when others have it, its theirs to do what they want!

• jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    You never know if that person has issues (like I have rhematoid arthritis, so I can't work out as hard as some other people), or maybe they are recovering from surgery or an injury. Unless you know their specific circumstances, you shouldn't let it get you so upset.
    ^^ this!

I'm not trying to preach, because I also tend to judge people by their efforts sometimes, but try to remind myself that not everyone is at the same fitness level and some are just starting out, or recovering from injury. Just being at the gym is a step in the right direction!

• charlieok
    charlieok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, even the smallest and easiest workout can still be beneficial to them. :)

I used to think that. Or at least, I used to think that some of the necessary workouts in a well-planned routine would be extremely easy like that. There are, after all, heart rate charts based on forumlas which label some low ranges as "recovery" zones, where you can build your aerobic base and improve your fat burning efficiency.

Then, I got a real metabolic test. That was eye opening.

The test showed where my personal zones are. The zones posted all over heath clubs based on forumlas might be better than nothing at all but they are, for the most part, crap. For me, the high zones on the chart were far too high, and the low zones were far too low. My zones were much more clustered together in a narrow band.

Yesterday, I did an hour workout on a bike alternating between zone 1 and zone 2. Even in zone 1, my recovery zone, I was sweating a *lot*. My takeaway was that there is a very high correlation between entering the zones where I get a lot of benefit from exercise, and the intensity level where I start to sweat in earnest.

Maybe this is not true for others. But so far, based on what I learned, my guess is that if you're not sweating, you're working below zone 1.
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sort of, but it depends what they are like. I think you can normally tell when someone wants to be there to exercise and when they don't. It does get annoying when people hog the machines just to be next to their friend though. Also, when i see girls come into the gym wearing leggings and converse and 'speed walk' on the treadmill, its like.. you are going to mess your feet up running in those.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    if I'm paying for a gym membership with my own money then NO ONE is going to tell me how fast or slow i can work out ... each to their own.

It's really annoying when people complain about others instead of concentrating on what is really lacking.... why don't u look in the mirror and try to be perfect.... then maybe we can all follow if you ever get there:)

Finally if you were doing a real workout ( as per your definition of a 'real' workout)... then you wouldn't have the attention to notice what others are doing.. you'd be out of breath to even care:)
  • Rosa1455
    Rosa1455 Posts: 38
    Options
    They pay for the membership just like everyone else!!! So, that would mean they could use the equipment as they see fit
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness - yes, they have tons of machines, but it really does get very busy at times. I do get annoyed when I spot people "playing around" - IE, these teenagers last week - a group of 6 of them basically messing around on the machines. VERY Annoying, but I just found other machines till they left.

Free weights.... please, I want to do some but they (the area) is always stocked with "muscle" training men. They would probably have no issues if I did use the weights at the same time, I just feel horribly intimidated by them and can't bring myself to even walk over there :(
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Once a thread gets this long, few people read all of it to see if you've clarified your point more, so sorry that you've been attacked in some cases (that's the nature of this forum...people get defensive and respond negatively more often than not, and it will probably continue another 3 pages...unfortunately).

That being said..the people who stand around doing nothing absolutely DO deserve to be smacked (and I think most people agree there!)....so since you did mean those people...I agree 100%. When you go with limited time and get hung up waiting for someone else to finish lounging on the machines texting, its VERY frustrating!
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    They pay for the membership just like everyone else!!! So, that would mean they could use the equipment as they see fit

^^^^^That

You can always buy your own equipment and exercise at home, like I do! Again, if you like the gym's atmosphere, well... it comes with all the other stuff you don't like too!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    OK LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN... PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU ALL GO OFF ON ANOTHER FREAKING TYRAID ON ME FOR STATING SOMETHING THAT I FIND TO BE ANNOYING

IF YOU ARE GOING SLOW BECAUSE OF AN INJURY, BECAUSE OF YOUR HEALTH BECAUSE OF AGE, ABILTY OR WHATEVER THAT IS FINE.................................I APPALAUD YOU AND THINK YOUR AMAZING FOR PUTTING THE EFFORT IN

IF YOU ARE AT THE F**^&*ING GYM TALKING TO SOMEONE ABOUT WHAT IS ON THE TV... GO HOME AND HAVE THAT CONVERSATION..

IF YOU ARE USING THE WEIGHT MACHINE AS YOUR SEAT(FOR TEN MINUTES) TO ARGUE WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND.. STEP OUT OF THE GYM

IF YOU ARE STANDING WITH ONE FOOT ON A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WHILE CHATTING WITH YOUR FRIEND FOR 15 MINUTES AND NOT WORKING OUT.. STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE..

I WAS JUST POINTING THIS OUT BECAUSE I SEE PEOPLE PUTTING THERE PERSONAL 100% IN AND THIS PERSON IS STANDING THERE AND TAKING A MACHINE THAT THEY ARE NOT USING OR IF THEY ARE ON IT.. USING IT LIKE IT IS A PERSONAL TOY FOR AN HOUR....

SO BEFORE YOU GO OFF AND SAY I HAVE THIS OR THAT OR DONT LIKE TO SWEAT OR MY GRANDPA IS OLD OR WHATEVER.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND.. WHEN I SAY NOT GIVING IT THERE ALL AND WORKING OUT.. I MEAN PERSONAL ALL NOT SOCIETIES.... TRUST ME I DONT GO AS FAST AS THE PEOPLE AROUND ME BUT I AM GIVING IT MY 100% LIKE 90% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE GYM

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE GYM TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES IN THE MIRROR AND HOPEFULY GET A GYM BUNNY OF THE OPPOSITE SEX TO HIT ON THEM.. OR TO TALK ON THERE CELL PHONES....

is that a little clearer now...

i know i put this here but i will make bets that the next people commenting wont read this and will still go off...

i put the wrong terms in my op...

i have now made the corrections so that it is clearer to people... but really how many will see it...

No, because that is nothing like your original post, and you are back tracking, if you are afraid to say something then don't say it, but don't change how you feel beacuse people disagree with you. If you can come on the internet, and rant, people can come on the internet, and disagree with you or rant about you. They only way to stop that is to stop posting.

" nothing makes me more crazy then the people who hope on a machine at lowest level and just go on there like they are doing a casual walk around the mall.... WORK OUT SWEAT GET GOING.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it makes me insane... some days i want to grab them and tell them get offffffffffffffffffffff or work out... this isnt part of your probation.. if you dont want to work out and dont want to be here.. go home.. "

None of this is what you are saying now! This is how you really feel so stick with that opinion!
  • jaxandmaksmom
    Options

no it doesnt.. it means use the equipment as stated to work out on.. not sit on to argue with the boyfriend.. or to sit and make conversation with there friend about the tv show.. while the waiting list is four people deep for the machne..

and ps to everyone else. i have said things to this person.. i litertly have said i see your finishing up here?? how much longer will you be.. and then i do go onto another machine for that time..

i just think it is very rude to sit on a machine that you are not using when others would like to...

i get on do my workout and get off. i put my personal 100% in and that is that..
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    OK LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN... PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU ALL GO OFF ON ANOTHER FREAKING TYRAID ON ME FOR STATING SOMETHING THAT I FIND TO BE ANNOYING

IF YOU ARE GOING SLOW BECAUSE OF AN INJURY, BECAUSE OF YOUR HEALTH BECAUSE OF AGE, ABILTY OR WHATEVER THAT IS FINE.................................I APPALAUD YOU AND THINK YOUR AMAZING FOR PUTTING THE EFFORT IN

IF YOU ARE AT THE F**^&*ING GYM TALKING TO SOMEONE ABOUT WHAT IS ON THE TV... GO HOME AND HAVE THAT CONVERSATION..

IF YOU ARE USING THE WEIGHT MACHINE AS YOUR SEAT(FOR TEN MINUTES) TO ARGUE WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND.. STEP OUT OF THE GYM

IF YOU ARE STANDING WITH ONE FOOT ON A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WHILE CHATTING WITH YOUR FRIEND FOR 15 MINUTES AND NOT WORKING OUT.. STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE..

I WAS JUST POINTING THIS OUT BECAUSE I SEE PEOPLE PUTTING THERE PERSONAL 100% IN AND THIS PERSON IS STANDING THERE AND TAKING A MACHINE THAT THEY ARE NOT USING OR IF THEY ARE ON IT.. USING IT LIKE IT IS A PERSONAL TOY FOR AN HOUR....

SO BEFORE YOU GO OFF AND SAY I HAVE THIS OR THAT OR DONT LIKE TO SWEAT OR MY GRANDPA IS OLD OR WHATEVER.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND.. WHEN I SAY NOT GIVING IT THERE ALL AND WORKING OUT.. I MEAN PERSONAL ALL NOT SOCIETIES.... TRUST ME I DONT GO AS FAST AS THE PEOPLE AROUND ME BUT I AM GIVING IT MY 100% LIKE 90% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE GYM

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE GYM TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES IN THE MIRROR AND HOPEFULY GET A GYM BUNNY OF THE OPPOSITE SEX TO HIT ON THEM.. OR TO TALK ON THERE CELL PHONES....

is that a little clearer now...

i know i put this here but i will make bets that the next people commenting wont read this and will still go off...

i put the wrong terms in my op...

i have now made the corrections so that it is clearer to people... but really how many will see it...

Now see, this is far more helpful information than your original post. I agree that people who plant their butt on a machine and don't use it or treat the gym as a beauty pageant seriously need to reprioritize. Your original rant was people going slow, and in that case there is no room to judge.

As for myself, unless someone cut in front of me, I don't care what people do.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    Options
    Because you are the Queen of fitness machines right? Get over it.

nope never said i was.. but with common curestoy and respect i am not going to misuse machines so it impeeds all others around me

and to boot.. i dont care about her fight with her boyfriend about some girl that said he was cute...
  • bethb4
    bethb4 Posts: 48
    Options
    nothing as trivial as that would upset me that much.

yep, same here.