Ladies!! What skincare products do you use?

Options

Replies

• MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use Olay Regenerist products. I've also been using Dr. Lewinn's Kinerase lately.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I also have extremely oily skin and I use Dial soap (recommended to me by my derm for acne) and Proactiv.

In the mornings I wash my face first with Dial, then with the Proactiv face wash. Then, of course, I do the Proactiv toner and moisturizer before I put on my makeup.

At night, I wash my face with Dial again, but then I use Clinique Oil Free Moisturizing Gel overnight. Since my acne has been cleared up for several years now, I don’t need the Proactiv twice a day any more.

A word to the wise, though: don’t ever use the Dial soap to wash your lady business. It will kill all your good bacteria and can cause an infection. I learned this the hard way. I use Dove down there, now.

Also, try using the Oil Absorbing sheets to remove oil from your skin throughout the day. They work much better than trying to control the shine by applying more powder (which just cakes up and makes you even oilier).

Haha... I :heart: that you called "down there" lay business... I'm stealing that phrase!
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    I use Clinique's 3 step system...very pricey but lasts ages and is so worth it. I also use a Clean & Clear energizing morning wash when I wake up in the morning and am too tired to function!

I second the Clinique 3 step system. They have different formulas based on your skin type including one for acne prone skin. Been using for years and love it!
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Oil cleansers will change your life. Google the oil cleansing method... you make it out of olive oil and castor oil. I did that for a year and a half, then transitioned to aloe vera juice and olive oil. Cleared up the eczema and cystic acne.

Here's a DIY moisturizer that works great, too: http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/2007/02/09/winter-skin-care-green-tea-moisturizing-cream/

Also, washing makeup brushes and changing pillow cases every 5-7 days makes big a difference.
  • KarileeValeriano
    KarileeValeriano Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use a mud soap from Seacret that is excellent for oily skin. You can buy it at seacretdirect .com/kare if you keep it dry between uses, it will last for many months!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    My skin is oily and extremely sensitive. I've had the best results with a brand named derma e (www.dermae.com). Their Very Clear Problem Skin line has really helped clear up my skin and has not caused any irritation at all. You can often find their products at Whole Foods, Sprouts, or other similar stores.
  • skinnyl0l
    skinnyl0l Posts: 63
    Options
    Proactive :D the only thing that has ever worked for me ^^
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you have a man, he has the best skincare product readily available.

Hahaha.

Apple Cider Vinegar & Virgin Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil always (surprisingly) dries out my face and lips. Does that not happen with you?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I use Origins, Boscia and Ole Henriksen. They are my go to skin care products. Caudalie is also pretty good but costs $$$
  • jtallwood
    jtallwood Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i like vichy - especial their aqualia line, which is super light and not greasy or heavy at all...plus, it smells great! just a light scent.

I second that! There is more than one version of the Aqualia Thermal daily care. I have sensitive skin and the ''light'' cream is perfect for me (better than the Avène Hydrance ''light'' cream for me, I tried both).

Also, I use the Vichy Pureté Thermale Purifying foaming water cleanser or the Purifying foaming cream cleanser, both for sensitive skin. I have a Clarisonic Mia and I prefer to use the foaming water with iit more than the cream, but both are great in my opinion.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I also have acne-prone and oily/combo skin. I swear by La Roche-Posay and now I never have to worry about breakouts. I use the cleanser, toner, and SPF lotion (all for oily/combo skin). It's a bit pricey but worth it.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Artistry Essentials Balancing System is great for oily skin, they also have foundations & such to go with the balancing system. I use it and love it.

Its not just a skin care system but it comes with great customer service too. It comes with a 6mth guarantee so you can return it if your not pleased.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Lookin' for some great skincare products for oily/sensitive skin prone to breakouts. Drives me crazy I have problems now when as a teenager I had great skin! Been thinking about trying Alba.

I have always had sensitive skin but didn't have breakouts as a teenager -- only as an adult. Oily in the T-zone and a little dry everywhere else..

The only things I can use from the drugstore without much trouble (and that actually seem to help my skin) are Aveeno and Burt's Bees products. I love Burt's Bees cleansing wipes and I use Aveeno's Sensitive moisturizer..

That being said, I DON'T use them very often because I use Lush products and prefer them. I discovered Lush at Macy's when I was having a bad breakout that just would NOT clear up. They gave me a mask called Catastrophe Cosmetic (all their face masks are fresh made with mostly stuff you could eat.. and the rest of their products are heavenly).. literally, my face was better the next morning.. completely clear in three days.

They can recommend products for your specific skin type. My mainstays from them are Fresh Farmacy face soap (it's super gentle and has calamine lotion in it to help keep the redness at bay), Eau Roma toner spray (great if you keep it in the refrigerator during summer.. I use it through out the day to keep my face from going oily) and lately I've been using Enzymion moisturizer (it has enzymes that brighten and even out your skin tone.. I really like it so far).

They used to have a moisturizer that I loved called Paradise Regained but they pulled it because they couldn't get the SPF ingredient to stop causing the rest of it to go bad -- again, these are all fresh products. They have a range of products and prices but when you see a $34 tag on a moisturizer (or if you like "Gorgeous" -- and you will, $90 is what you'll pay), you'll think "OMG! I WOULD NEVER SPEND THAT MUCH" -- but let me tell you, one of those little pots lasts me at least a year.. you need SO little to get great results.. and if you spend $15 a pop for Oil of Olay three times a year, this is actually less expensive.

From their masks, I use several -- Oatfix is great for taking care of oily areas.. Ayesha is an all-over gorgeous-maker that I use most often.. of course I have a little Catastrophe Cosmetic for emergencies..

I can't say enough about Lush.. (and their bath bombs and other goodies are all amazing, too.. try their solid deoderant.. you won't believe it!)

Stef
  • EveryWeatherRunner
    EveryWeatherRunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Burts Bee, Primavera and Weleda. They are all natural and organic certified as well. Nothing that you wouldn't know is in them ;)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    In the morning I use St. Ive's Apricot scrub for blackhead/blemish control. In the evening I use their Green Tea scrub and/or cleansing facial wash to get rid of the dirt from the day. Every now and then at night I'll use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask since it really sucks up a lot of oil and dirt from my pores. For little breakouts I'll dab 100% Tea Tree Oil on my finger and massage it into the pimple(s) and do it twice daily. Usually within a day or two the blemish is gone as the stuff helps dry it out without you needing to pop it.

A good non-harsh astringent/toner would be Thayer's Lavender (they also have Rose and Cucumber) Witch Hazel mixed with just a teaspoon of Tea Tree Oil. It smells good, leaves your skin clean and soft, and doesn't leave that dry tight feeling most can. I also use it on my body after a shower and before bed to prevent pimples or anything in places I'm prone to sweating in. It's great for if you have old acne scars, too. It fades them out without bleaching your skin.

One thing I have been trying is Jojoba oil. Supposedly it's close enough to skin's "sebum" that using it can trick your skin into not over-producing oil. You can either mix a drop or two into your facial moisturizer or use a couple drops right on your face though it's recommended as an evening thing since it will make your face shiny while it's working. There are moisturizers/lotions that have some in the formula too but I like to try the "natural" remedies first. If nothing else, it and coconut oil are great natural sunscreens if you're worried about being out in the sun or if you're prone to burning.

This is just my advice, but stay away from Proactiv. I have oily skin and for years broke out like it was going out of style and the stuff never helped my oil production, even the stuff designed to, and it's expensive. Not only that, the chemicals in Proactiv will bleach your skin. And this is just my personal experience but they'll give you hell if you ever decide to cancel. I actually had a pending lawsuit with them for over a year because they claimed they sent me a kit after I had already cancelled, and no they hadn't or I never received it, and they were trying to take me to court over $40.

If you're looking for a light moisturizer, pick up some pure aloe vera gel. Also oil blotter sheets (or those toilet seat covers from public restrooms) are your best friend especially in summer. Take one out, swipe off the grease, and toss. Post-workout if you're not going right home, invest in those cleansing cloths designed to get rid of dirt and oil. Leaves your face clean so the sweat doesn't sit in your pores too long and you can wash your face later when you shower. Don't use foundation if you can help it, even the "oil free" and supposedly good for oily skin ones. Keep your pores as clear as possible, exfoliate, and like I mentioned earlier at least wash your face twice a day it can really make a difference in your breakouts. Last thing, if you're prone to breaking out near your mouth (aka area above your mouth, your chin, the corners of your mouth or in that vicinity) I would look at any products you put on your lips. Glosses, some lipsticks, and even your average lip balm can aid your breakouts because of the oils in them. If the ingredients don't sound mostly natural, don't use it.

And I'll shut up for now. Sorry, I've had oily skin for years and so has my mom so I'm always looking for ways to make my skin pretty and not like I could fry something on it.
  • kleighfox
    kleighfox Posts: 1
    Options
    My skin got really bad after I became a vegetarian and started eating a lot of soy. I dropped soy from my diet completely and started juicing/blending a vegetable drink at night. After a month or so my skin was completely clear! And has remained clear for about six months. Everyone's skin is different but it is worth a try....plus there are a lot of other health benefits!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil to wash my face (oil cleansing method)

It can work on oily skin as well. Your skin may produce more oil if you choose to use oil free/drying products on your face. It just provokes it to produce more sebum = bad.

I'm all for going as natural as possible on your skin.

Always use sunscreen. You'll thank yourself for it when you look younger than everyone else who didn't use it.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I cut out cow's milk from my diet, and switched to only using Dove's beauty bar for sensitive skin on my face, occasionally using St. Ive's Apricot Scrub when I had blemishes.

Haven't really had shiny skin or breakouts since!

Last month, I switched to using organic-all natural handmade tea tree oil soap, using it both on my face and the rest of my body. Amazing difference! Super smooth soft skin everywhere, no redness. I wish I would have discovered it sooner.
    I just ran out this morning and am starting to panic as I can't get more until Saturday. Eeep!

For skin care, I use the organic under eye treatment cream from The Body Shop.
    I'm just using Olay's basic 7 in 1 moisturizer for my face right now, but am looking to try something less chemical-y after the pot is finished. Cocobutter Vaseline Intensive Care or Body Shop shea body butter every where else :)
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Kiss My Face - moisturizer that also works great to sooth and heal sun-burnt skin!
    Biore for my cleanser (combination/oily skin) and exfoliant (pore minimizing scrub).
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use Rx face creams & wash from my Dr. Expensive but the best