Do you count it as water?

Options
I make a small pot of coffee @ work on occasion. I never count the water I use to make the coffee (32oz) in my water intake. Is there a reason that I shouldn't? I know by brewing the coffee it changes it and it's really not "water" anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone else counts their coffee as water. Or maybe I'm just tired and totally overthinking it. *shrug*

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't. Coffee is coffee, water is water.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I only count water. Regular ol plain water.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    liquid is liquid... count it...
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i don't drink coffee.. but i count my tea as water and vitamin water as water :)
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i dont count coffee as water...anything with caffeine *i heard/read* negates the whole "counting water" thing...or some *kitten*...i could be making it up for all i knwo...but im too tired as well :)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts as water. Turning water into coffee does nothing except flavor the water and add a little caffeine. The body extracts most of the water it needs from food. It can certainly extract it from coffee, soda and tea.

Also, the whole 64 oz. a day thing is a myth anyway.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Please check the message boards. Someone asked this only like 2 days ago and it turned into World War 3. We do not need to go through THAT again!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I count it. How many mls constitutes a cup though? Our ounces are different to yours here in the UK so an fl oz reply would just baffle me!
  • sunshynrn
    sunshynrn Posts: 10
    Options
    I only count water as water, but I used to do weight watchers several years ago and in my last year they made some changes and things like coffee and tea, if they had no additives like cream, sugar, ect. you could count them as part of your water for the day.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only count water as water. No juice, soda, coffee, tea.. Look at is as extra motivation to drink more plain water.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Heh.

If your pee is quite light in color and relatively odorless, you're getting enough water. Keep doing what you're doing.

If your pee is dark and smells, you're not getting enough water. Drink some more, regardless of how much you're currently drinking.

Don't overthink :P
  • sunshynrn
    sunshynrn Posts: 10
    Options
    30ml is like one ounce
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What if instead of coffee you turn water into wine? Do you count it then?
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I drink enough water that it doesn't matter if I count coffee or not.

But honestly, I wouldn't. Just drink your water! :drinker:
  • AStreif
    AStreif Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It does hold water value but you have more to gain by not counting it.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee or soda. I personally only count plain water and water with either MIO or Propel added. However, for hydration, anything beyond alcohol will hydrate you just fine. The effects of caffeine on hydration are extremely exaggerated by most people on here.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What if instead of coffee you turn water into wine? Do you count it then?

:heart:
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I count plain water, and decaf tea(I don't usually drink sweet tea), and vitamin waters. I keep hearing that coffee and some teas don't count, because of the caffiene in them. Really, at the end of the day it's up to you. Also keep in mind that if you're eating a lot of fruits and veggies, you're getting some water from those as well.