Do you count it as water?

Options

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why cheat your body out of actual extra water anyway? 8 cups of water really isn't THAT hard to reach.

Because it isn't necessary, and can even be harmful if you force yourself to drink beyond your natural thirst.
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    Why cheat your body out of actual extra water anyway? 8 cups of water really isn't THAT hard to reach.

Because it isn't necessary, and can even be harmful if you force yourself to drink beyond your natural thirst.

Nobody said anything about shoving water down your throat if you are not thirsty.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    Probably a good idea to drink filtered water. That's what I do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also, the whole 64 oz. a day thing is a myth anyway.

It's not a myth, it's a generalization. Unlike most general medical recommendations that one is not based on science, though most doctors still think it's not bad as a general rule. But most will also tell you to count all non-alcoholic beverages.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Yes, you could stretch it by counting almost any liquid as water, but I'm here to get healthy. Is diet soda, coffee, etc. as good for you as water? I don't think so. So although I drink coffee, I don't count it.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    And to answer the OPs question, I don't count water, I check urine color. However, I do end up drinking approximately 8-9 glasses of water a day, and that does not include my daily coffee or wine or other water-containing fluids.

I was team coffee, until I read this. I'm now team who gives a crap. Focus on urine color (I forget these things). Thanks.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So there are several different arguments that pop up when this is asked.

#1. Do you count anything other than plain water in your little tracker?
    This is simply a personal preference thing. Whether you do or not really only matters to you.

#2. Does caffeinated beverages dehydrate you?
    Every major medical association I've searched say 'No'. The water they add far outweighs any diuretic effect they might have. If you have a link to a credible source saying otherwise, I would be happy to change my mind on the subject. Until then I'll trust the people far more informed than myself on the subject.

#3. Is plain water any more healthy than 'x'?
    It really depends on what you are comparing it to. I've not seen any information saying that plain water is anymore healthy than adding a little flavoring or even tea. I really have no personal opinion on it. I've not see anything to show that plain water is any better you than tea or a bit of flavoring (ie MIO). Again, if anyone can show me any information that shows otherwise, I'd be happy to re-evaluate it.
  • spe8421
    spe8421 Posts: 11
    Options
    The only time you can count coffee as water is if it is decaffinated coffee.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic, caffiene DOES NOT dehydrate you. It was once believed that it did but not anymore. Water is still best, but coffee has alot of other things that are good for you as long as you arent drinking 7-8 cups a day you should be fine, and count it!

Oh and heres the article I found just in case anyone was wondering.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I count it as coffee thats what it is and I count water as water.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, tea as tea, pop as pop... etc.

^^^^^ this... I mean when I make my pancakes it says just add water. Do does that mean I can count that water as well??? SMH.

Sorry but the pancake analogy is lame. I'm talking liquids -vs- liquids. You're creating it into a totally different form by adding calorie dense ingredients and cooking it. Not quite the same.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    i do not count it.

I dont feel good when i run on just coffee
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

No, it doesn't. Even if you drink the whole pot.

I previously agreed with the above poster but now disagree. Due to what I will quote later. I still would not count it as water consumption tho. Your statement would be true depending on the size of the pot. If the pot you are talking about is the average of 8-12 cups then according to the Mayo Clinic your statement would be false. Just saying =) Cheers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Actually, the Mayo Clinic does not disagree with me, though this one doctor might.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
    Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

SOURCE: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

ETA: having a diuretic effect and causing dehydration are very different things. Drinking more water than your body needs has a diuretic effect.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    The only other beverages I count as water are herbal teas.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Water, seltzer (and other carbonated flavored waters), tea, homemade lemonade, 100% fruit juice. If it's not those, I don't count it as water. I don't drink much else.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I consume energy drinks (low/zero carb - no sugar) like some people drink coffee - but i don't count it toward my water total.

I do count the water in my protein drinks - I have a 77oz & a 24oz water jug at work, I fill them up once a day and everything comes from that, so it counts.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, tea as tea, pop as pop... etc.

^^^^^ this... I mean when I make my pancakes it says just add water. Do does that mean I can count that water as well??? SMH.

Sorry but the pancake analogy is lame. I'm talking liquids -vs- liquids. You're creating it into a totally different form by adding calorie dense ingredients and cooking it. Not quite the same.

She was being facetious, clearly.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I count pure water, MIO enhanced water, homemade green tea, and zero calorie vitamin water. It's a personal choice thing. :)
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    what about when i take a shower? i mean doesnt it soak in? um its a proven fact i seen it on utube so its gotta be true
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    **zoom in on an aging, wrinkled old man with inexplicably beautiful women surrounding him***

"I don't always drink coffee, but when I do, I count it"

"Stay thirsty, my friends!"