Do you count it as water?

Options

Replies

• Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Beer: essentially water & vegetables. I usually just log it as a salad.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do not count it, I have found that if I do not drink the water I need I have a harder time working out. Coffee and tea will make you get rid of water. So I would say don't count it.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Noted! I can't belive I haven't been logging it like that!
  • nessa786
    nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do not count it, but i do count vitamin water.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea will make you get rid of water.

Myth
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but it has caffeine and my trainer told me when I drink soda which also has caffeine you should actually drink more water, since caffeine can act as a diuretic.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I only count plain jane water as water. I don't count coffee or water with crystal light or MIO additives. Sure I have to drink more to get my total ounces in for the day, but I only benefit from that.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. Hell, even low alcohol beers result in net hydration. Having said that, beware when people feed you BS, as the warning at the bottom of all threads clearly indicate:

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

Please consult a licensed physician before listening to random poster's mysticism, opinion and hearsay. Even mine. At the very least, consult Pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) and search for yourself among peer-reviewed scientific literature. For non-science people simply skip to the conclusions sections of the articles.

Here's a relatively recent article, for instance:
    The Effect of Caffeinated, Non-Caffeinated, Caloric and Non-Caloric Beverages on Hydration
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short
    "Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

Be well.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Noted! I can't belive I haven't been logging it like that!

I might open a can of salad or two this evening!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    tell that to the 14mm kidney stone I had last year. I was drinking almost 64 oz a day, had pale urine, yet still managed to be dehydrated. This is according to my urologist. I now need to drink 128oz a day to keep from developing stones.

Then you obviously have a medical condition that requires you to drink a certain amount of water. This doesn't hold true for the general population. There is no set amount of required water for most people. You should drink if you're thirsty.
  • snoozen29
    snoozen29 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have heard that for every cup of coffee, that it actually deprives your body of 2 glasses of water! I still drink my coffee, but drink more water to make up for it.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can count it or not. As you can see, people hold different views on this. However, your body counts it as water.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have heard that for every cup of coffee, that it actually deprives your body of 2 glasses of water! I still drink my coffee, but drink more water to make up for it.

I mostly drink half-caff coffee and sugar-free green tea, rarely just straight up water. Both of these have some caffeine. If what you heard was true people would be falling over dead in the street, me included. There's no science to support the idea that coffee, tea and soda aren't used by the body as water, that I'm aware of.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Yeah, you hear it a lot, but it is always from people just repeating what other people say. However, everything it comes from every highly regarded medical association I've seen disputes that.
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

^^^^^^ this.
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    I count water as water, tea as tea, pop as pop... etc.

^^^^^ this... I mean when I make my pancakes it says just add water. Do does that mean I can count that water as well??? SMH.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

No, it doesn't. Even if you drink the whole pot.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

This is simply not true. Caffeine is a diuretic, and as such should be avoided, but the amount of liquid in coffee outweighs that diuretic effect. It's amazing the amount of misinformation that gets repeated/modified with each time a question gets asked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this... I mean when I make my pancakes it says just add water. Do does that mean I can count that water as well??? SMH.

If you really wanted to know how much water you consume in a day, then yes you should. You should count the water in all foods and liquids, including those in there naturally.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Well, some of the water cooks off when you make the pancakes, but otherwise, actually, yes. We get water from the foods we eat, not just pure water in a glass. Fruits and vegetables are mostly water and yes they absolutely count.