Do you count it as water?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I count it. How many mls constitutes a cup though? Our ounces are different to yours here in the UK so an fl oz reply would just baffle me!

1 fl oz = (about) 29.5 ml
    8 fl oz = (about) 236.5 ml

Little known fact about Google - you can do conversions with it (among a number of cool little other things, like using it for a calculator).
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fluid+ounce+to+ml
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    its not water obviously but it still counts towards your fluid intake. I drink NO water, only black coffee, occasional sugar free squash and occasional fizzy drinks and I click the water consumption gizmo as I drink these.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I count it. How many mls constitutes a cup though? Our ounces are different to yours here in the UK so an fl oz reply would just baffle me!

A cup is approximately 250 mL. Well, technically 236.588237 mL, but really, you don't have to be that precise.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

You'd have to drink A LOT of tea/coffee in order for it to have a dehydration effect. That said, I personally only count water, water as my cup intake counter thingy :-))
  • AStreif
    AStreif Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wine also holds some water value, but I wouldnt count it as water.:drinker:
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain water and rarely drink it (maybe a glass two or three times a year at best). I rarely drink juices or softdrinks, etc. either. My water needs are met by the coffee and tea I drink as well as the water contained in the foods I eat. Been doing this all my adult life (40 some years) and I'm still kicking. :wink:
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't. Coffee is coffee, water is water.

Same here.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What if instead of coffee you turn water into wine? Do you count it then?

I don't drink wine, but I've always understood that alcohol has a strong dehydrating effect (unlike coffee). And the standard advice to avoid a hangover is to drink water beforehand, or after if you're trying to get over one. I've never bothered to look it up though.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I make a small pot of coffee @ work on occasion. I never count the water I use to make the coffee (32oz) in my water intake. Is there a reason that I shouldn't? I know by brewing the coffee it changes it and it's really not "water" anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone else counts their coffee as water. Or maybe I'm just tired and totally overthinking it. *shrug*

Do what your heart desires...I don't drink coffee..but If I had a cup of coffee I would count it as water...because what's the difference in drinking water and sipping 5 hour energy? hmmmmmmmmm?
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, sugar and alcohol all dehydrate you so if it contains any of these ingredients, I do not count it as water.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

according to an online calculator I used, 8oz is equal to 236ml...the average drinking glass is 16oz (472ml)...therefor 64oz equals roughly 1900ml
  • tsymyn
    tsymyn Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm sure many people will discount this, but Coke has enough research to show that soda also hydrates that the FDA lets them claim it. Personally, I count soda but not coffee, just to force me to drink a little more "straight" water. I drink a 12 oz Coke Zero over ice and count it as 8 oz of water. It could probably count as 16 oz since I typically drink about half or more of the ice from it melting.
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    Options

The whole caffeine dehydrates you is a myth. If it were true a lot of people would be dead. Imagine all the people that only drink soda or whatever. Heres an article from the Mayo Clinic : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Heh.

If your pee is quite light in color and relatively odorless, you're getting enough water. Keep doing what you're doing.

If your pee is dark and smells, you're not getting enough water. Drink some more, regardless of how much you're currently drinking.

Don't overthink :P

agree with this. Well this works as a good indicator unless you take vitamins that can change your urine color.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Heh.

If your pee is quite light in color and relatively odorless, you're getting enough water. Keep doing what you're doing.

If your pee is dark and smells, you're not getting enough water. Drink some more, regardless of how much you're currently drinking.

Don't overthink :P

Also, if your pee is really dark (like golden-brown) and you're drinking a lot of water, you're getting too much water and have thrown off your electrolyte balance and need to drink something like Gatorade. It generally takes quite a bit of water, but it can and does happen (as in, clear pee, then drinking like another gallon of water).
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

That is debatable!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts as water. Turning water into coffee does nothing except flavor the water and add a little caffeine. The body extracts most of the water it needs from food. It can certainly extract it from coffee, soda and tea.

Also, the whole 64 oz. a day thing is a myth anyway.

tell that to the 14mm kidney stone I had last year. I was drinking almost 64 oz a day, had pale urine, yet still managed to be dehydrated. This is according to my urologist. I now need to drink 128oz a day to keep from developing stones.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, tea as tea, pop as pop... etc.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, sugar and alcohol all dehydrate you so if it contains any of these ingredients, I do not count it as water.

So I couldn't count my glass of water I drink before my shot of tequila? NO WAY....

And I have to back out that cup of water that I had while eating a startburst.....CRAP!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sugar only really comes into play for people with diabetes. Caffeine dehydration is not backed up by any solid research.