Do you tell them or let them figure it out on their own?

Options

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My last name gets misspelled constantly (most recently and, perhaps, notably by the Commonwealth of Virginia). It's a very common name with a very uncommon spelling-- but it's just a double-consonant. I joke that as a child I probably thought "with 2 Ls!" was actually part of our last name. It's amazing sometimes how much one little letter can confuse people.

My sister's name is Tasha though, and people mispronounce that ALL the time. I don't understand it, because it doesn't get much more phonetic than that. People also like to assume it's a nickname and call her "Natasha" .... yeah, it's not a nickname.

I probably wouldn't correct the friendly guy. Unless you have any interactions with him other than the mentioned hellos... I'd just be too lazy to make the effort. ha!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    People get my name wrong all the time. My first name is Renee. I have been called Lisa my entire life. Teachers, coworkers, people I deal with through work.

I even get e-mails calling me things like Regina even though my name is on the e-mail to which the person is responding. All the time.

I usually don't bother correcting people. Especially after the 10th time.

OMG...same thing! My name is Jessica and I get called Jennifer ALL.THE.TIME. My email says my name and people will still start off with "Hi Jennifer." REALLY?

That being said, it's my pet peeve when parents spell a common name weird. I share an admin assistant and her name is Tawnjai pronounced Tonya. You have to be kidding me.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have to, almost nobody knows what a kroužek a is...
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Everyone is continually spelling my name wrong - even people I have worked with for the last 6 years! So annoying! How can you misspell my name when you are sending an email to me and my name pops up? My name is RIGHT there...lol

This is EXACTLY what I always think.
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    My boss has about the MOST common last name on earth, Smith. I actually had someone ask me how to spell his last name before smh lol
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    it's pointless now... just laugh about to yourself
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Correct it, but there's a friend who has never said my name right. He's just a complete moron, but I love him, so I let him call me "Kylie."
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    my name is forever screwed up. I try to correct them as much as possible, but *sigh* it always happens and its always the same few people.... My name is NOT BRIE. I am NOT cheese.....

Wait what?! ** stops nibbling on your leg**
  • big_drake
    big_drake Posts: 78
    Options
    I've dealt with this for a long time. People often use my last name incorrectly. Granted some parts of the family pronounce it that way but they are wrong, dummies lol. I've never corrected anyone. It happens so often it's not worth it. But that's my last name I might feel different if people would incorrectly pronounce my first name.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Every time I say my name is Holly, people think I said Polly or Molly. And my last name? Both my Maiden name and my married name are never pronounced right.... I just smile and accept it
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My name is Rachel. Pretty easy to pronounce but spelling! I mostly get the Rachael/Racheal with spellings. Sometimes people will call me Rachelle but they're just joking around.

Now, a new fellow in our office called me Bonnie for a few days before he saw my name plate on my door. He apologized and I told him that it was no biggie, I answer to anything. My mother calls me all kinds of names; Karen (my aunt) or Cricket (the dog).
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    I have no problems with people pronouncing my name but apparently NO ONE CAN SPELL MELISSA it's so bizarre.... It's always Mellisa
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options

I get called Beth a lot (easily confused with Stef I guess - especially over the phone)...
    /\ This. Stephanie is ALWAYS confused for Bethany - no matter the age or gender of the person. Also, there are several people that call me Stephy, after I clearly use my full name upon introduction. I'm sorry, but I will NOT let that slide.
  • jackisuzu
    jackisuzu Posts: 11
    Options
    My daughters name is Marissa and everyone calls her Melissa!! DRives me crazy..she just lets it go!
  • jackisuzu
    jackisuzu Posts: 11
    Options
    My name is Rachel. Pretty easy to pronounce but spelling! I mostly get the Rachael/Racheal with spellings. Sometimes people will call me Rachelle but they're just joking around.

Now, a new fellow in our office called me Bonnie for a few days before he saw my name plate on my door. He apologized and I told him that it was no biggie, I answer to anything. My mother calls me all kinds of names; Karen (my aunt) or Cricket (the dog).

My daughters name is Rachel too and she gets the same thing!!!
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    my first name is kinda common but my friends from other countrys have a hard time saying it but it diesnt bother me to have them say it wrong lol my brother has for as long as i can remember.. spelling is another story lots of people want ot start with a K and add y's and extra n's and stuff

my middle name is just funny to have people try and say they really want it to be like mary... its not lol
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    LOL My husband's last name is Buckmaster. You would not believe the number of people who ask how to spell it. Ummm....just like it sounds? Duh!!!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My first name is Neve. I've been called Neev, Neefah, Nevah, Never, Nuff, Evie, Even, and Ven... but rarely "NEV".
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Mel... is not the problem.... my last name... holy heavens...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    my name is forever screwed up. I try to correct them as much as possible, but *sigh* it always happens and its always the same few people.... My name is NOT BRIE. I am NOT cheese.....

My cousins name is Brie ha ha, dutch name. My twins called zowie, I'm zara, we look nothing alike but lots of people call me zowie by mistake, I couldn't care less anymore I've spent my whole life correcting people lol x