"Face it, we'll never be that skinny again."

Options

Replies

• buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt you can do it. I'd never been a size 4 in my life until now. I'm way smaller than I was in high school. I also felt like I moved through the size 10 pretty quickly as I lost. Even if you make it to a 6 instead of a 2 by this reunion, I'm sure you'll be one of the most fit people there :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that what she said has zero to do with you and everything to do with her low self esteem. As of a month ago I told myself I would never be that skinny again (after 10 years and 3 kids.) It was a defense mechanism. If she tells herself that it's impossible to be that skinny again, then she doesn't have to try. Ya know what I mean? Don't let it get into your head. You're doing awesome.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that what she said has zero to do with you and everything to do with her low self esteem. As of a month ago I told myself I would never be that skinny again (after 10 years and 3 kids.) It was a defense mechanism. If she tells herself that it's impossible to be that skinny again, then she doesn't have to try. Ya know what I mean? Don't let it get into your head. You're doing awesome.

Project much? There's an awful lot of armchair psychology being applied to woman who isn't even here to discuss what she said...
  • nen1020
    nen1020 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forget the skinny, I want my hair back that I had then...

LMAO that's funny
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes you can be as skinny as you were in high school! I'm 42, I did it and so can you.

Me too! In fact...I'm thinner. More like the size I was in middle school. You can do what you set your mind and your will to do. I don't think your friend meant anything by the offhand remark so don't take it personally!

:)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Project much? There's an awful lot of armchair psychology being applied to woman who isn't even here to discuss what she said...

Ouch..
  • riosangel
    riosangel Posts: 5
    Options
    I'll never be as fat as I was in highschool again.... wait, thats different. But hey...could be worse right?
  • SmallSleeves
    Options
    A comment like that is what catapulted me on to my current weight loss journey. I didn't want to prove her right! The funny thing is, when she saw me after I had lost about 45 pounds, she didn't mention anything about my weight loss. I'm sure your friend didn't mean any harm though. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My best friend of over 14 yrs who hasnt seen me for a few years deleted me on fb today after telling me I look scary. She deleted me after I told her I was insulted. It was pretty insulting since I usually eat over 1800 calories a day (sometimes in the 3xxx numbers). What am i suppose to do go back to eating over 4000 and feeling like crap? We use to be the same weight and Im currently 30lbs more then what we were where shes probably about 90. I could definately get lighter but I am completely comfortable where I am right now. Dont let people tell you what to do.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would guess it was more a statement about her than about you.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not true. All my high school clothes that I kept "just in case" I ever fit into them again, are all TOO BIG for me now.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    blahhh I can't stand highschool people ... besides the odd few lol
    Most of the "popular" girls are :sick: now and did nothing with their lives.
    I was the chubby nerd in highschool and now I look my best.
    Not sure where I'm going with this but...
    I definitely don't mind running into people :drinker:
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't let her bring you down NOR think that you have failed if September comes and you're not automatically a 2/4 size. They're just random numbers. It's great to have a goal of fitting into your prom dress, but let's face it (this is what she should have said)... you'll never be an 18 year old skinny chick ever again, but you can damn well be a 28 or older woman that has a KILLER body that's toned in all the right places and look even better in that dress.

There. I fixed her statement with the truth. :flowerforyou:

^ This!!! :drinker:

What they said!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Don't let her bring you down NOR think that you have failed if September comes and you're not automatically a 2/4 size. They're just random numbers. It's great to have a goal of fitting into your prom dress, but let's face it (this is what she should have said)... you'll never be an 18 year old skinny chick ever again, but you can damn well be a 28 or older woman that has a KILLER body that's toned in all the right places and look even better in that dress.

There. I fixed her statement with the truth. :flowerforyou:
    ditto. I don't think aspiring to be the size you were in high school is necessarily a healthy or fruitful goal. You were still developing and your body was changing. If you've had kids you may never be that shape again, and therefore a different size as well, that doesn't mean you can't be fit, sexy, and thin though.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Most of my adult life I was smaller than I was in highschool. You can SO do this. She can too, but maybe she is not mentally in the same place you are. I think you're either there or you're not. KWIM?
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think it was her, I think that is what we are taught to believe. I never thought I could be thin again either. I was 227 when I came here and had a goal weight of 175 just because I thought that was the best I could do. After all I have had 4 pregnancies, breastfed 3 kids, I'm too busy to exercise, I will never be thin. Then I started seeing all these success stories on here and I'm thinking, if they can do it, I can too! So now my goal weight is 145 and I KNOW I will be thin and fit again. So, don't be too hard on your friend. Invite her to MVP and let her see what IS possible!
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't take it as a personal sleight on you. It's actually a justification on her part about herself, what she is saying is that it is ok for her to look like that, because anything else is impossible. She has to think this, because otherwise she would feel bad about herself. Its a very common thing.

It's far easier for people to believe something is impossible, or that someone else is just 'lucky', than to admit that they just can't be bothered to put in the time, effort and hard work to achieve what the other person has, whether that's a hot body, a nice car, a good job, or anything else that's worth having.

^^^THIS^^^

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    I *feel* that way all the time! I'm only 25, but I've had 3 pregnancies and one of which was a twin pregnancy (they are 11 weeks) and I know that my body will never look the same again (even if its just the stretch marks) but I know I can be happy and proud of my body again! I might just have to sport some saggy skin and stretch marks.....but hey, they were made with love :)
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Shame on your friend. She should just speak for herself! If you have a goal to get into your prom dress, and you believe you can do it, then you will with hard work and determination. Personally, I just went shopping yesterday and found out I'm a size smaller than I've ever been. With the long holiday weekend, I may just have to pull out my wedding dress and try it on!
  • NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't take it as a personal sleight on you. It's actually a justification on her part about herself, what she is saying is that it is ok for her to look like that, because anything else is impossible. She has to think this, because otherwise she would feel bad about herself. Its a very common thing.

It's far easier for people to believe something is impossible, or that someone else is just 'lucky', than to admit that they just can't be bothered to put in the time, effort and hard work to achieve what the other person has, whether that's a hot body, a nice car, a good job, or anything else that's worth having.

I love when men respond. It's so less emotional than woman. This is very true, but it's hard for us to see past the way it was said. Good perspective.