What Dog Owners Do...

Options

Replies

• rukusmay
    rukusmay Posts: 5
    Options
    If these sort of questions make you crazy, maybe you should get into a new line of work. I appreciate that people should research their dogs before they get them (having 2 jack russels- I am a firm believer in research first) but I don't go to my doctor thinking I know more that her or tell the personal trainer at the gym that I know how to do all the right exercises to do to make me thin. I go to these people and ASK QUESTIONS- maybe even stupid ones to them but they are the expert, not me. At least these people are asking so you can educate them. I am happy that people are taking dogs into their home and loving them or at least trying to find a better way to take care of them.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ive been working with animals for 15 yrs- i dont agree with prongs or chain collars unless you know how to use them correctly. i tell people all the time buy a gentle lead first. those things are amazing!!!!
    i worked in mostly shelters and people all the time came in wanting a dog and not researching the types of breeds they really want. gotta look at what you are willing to committe first. and grooming so many people dont realize how often some dogs require to be groomed- yea that toy poodle is cute but are you willing to pay out of pocket every 6 to 8 weeks to keep the fur trimmed or are you up for daily brushings to keep it from matting inbetween.
    another note- im currently workin at a vets and little dogs are horrible and its because the owners refuse to properly train them because theyre little- i say fudge that- begin training them to be held and restraint asap this goes for large dogs too.
    and cats theyre a different story

We've been working with our pup since the day we got him. We sing this song we created called "Pieces and parts" at least once a day, and pick him up, touch his teeth, mouth, ears, toes, legs, genitals everything; so he'll be good when he's at the vet.

This is so lame, now that I've re-read what I wrote lol.
    no i educate people with day with new pups to do those things. you have to get them used to being handled period.
  • flsunshine
    Options
    We have our Rotti pup in his third level of training now. Prong collars do help, but there are certain ways in which to use them. Obviously you're aware of that, but most people just think "Yes, it's on he can pull as much as wants, he'll learn." It sooo doesn't work that way.

I'm not completely against prong collars. My first labrador retriever had to have one - nothing else worked. The way I see it: if it works for you, your dog is easier to control, AND you're using it properly, then hey, go for it.

But yes...the pulling thing drives me NUTS! And then they're shocked when it 'magically' doesn't work. It works for some dogs, but if the dog is still pulling, STOP FREAKING USING IT!!!!! It's just going to injure the poor thing!

I love the prong collar. I have an 80 lb German Shepherd and she is still a puppy. She can pull me on walks but not with the prong collar. We have used it for about 5 months, and now, we don't have to put it on her because she learned from the prong collar. She is great and walks right next to me.
    ive trained most of my dogs with gentle leads-
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. 2 of them are getting up there in age and both have arthritis so walking them is getting rough on them.

My youngin' is a pit. I don't even use a regular collar. I use a harness. I had issues walking him, pulling on his collar only choked him. Why the hell would I want to choke my dog??? As soon as I got a harness, my issues with walking him were gone.

Those poky/spikey collars piss me off.

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!

I've got a 4 month old pit that I'm fostering right now. He's adorable, lol.

Aww, poor things. =( My eldest, Tugs, is a 7 year old terrier/poodle who is also getting arthritis for her knees. We've got her on a great glucosamine supplement, but I know it's only a matter of time before I'm going to have to start just keeping her mind exercised.

Prong collars, if used improperly, are quite terrible. I've seen dogs who have been at the end of a lead their entire lives WITH prong collars on, so they've been pulling and jerking, and it's not pretty. At the same time, people who use it responsibly are good dog owners - they have found what the dog reacts to. Some are more food reactive, others need toys, others can use the gentle lead, and others are fine with the basic collar and leash. Whatever works for the dog and the owner - both need to be confident on the walk, so I figure, whatever works for them!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time too, Im on my third German Shepard (the two before died of old age) and I have a Retriever as well.

I was on a dog walk and a small dog came running up to my Shep barking and snapping at it. The owner came slowly over, picked her dog up and cradeled it in her arms:

Me: You know you just rewarded your dog for that behavior don't you?
    She: I dont know why he does that. I think its because your dog is so big.

How do you even start explaining to someone like that what they did wrong and how they need to correct it?

I could give you so many other examples... Dont get a dog if you are unwilling to train it properly.
    Oh, and dont get a dog unless you are willing to exercise it AND pick up after it. I hate people that dont do that!

Great advice. Im sure you give a lot of wonderful advice to owners that are smart enough to hire a trainer.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    We have our Rotti pup in his third level of training now. Prong collars do help, but there are certain ways in which to use them. Obviously you're aware of that, but most people just think "Yes, it's on he can pull as much as wants, he'll learn." It sooo doesn't work that way.

I'm not completely against prong collars. My first labrador retriever had to have one - nothing else worked. The way I see it: if it works for you, your dog is easier to control, AND you're using it properly, then hey, go for it.

But yes...the pulling thing drives me NUTS! And then they're shocked when it 'magically' doesn't work. It works for some dogs, but if the dog is still pulling, STOP FREAKING USING IT!!!!! It's just going to injure the poor thing!

I love the prong collar. I have an 80 lb German Shepherd and she is still a puppy. She can pull me on walks but not with the prong collar. We have used it for about 5 months, and now, we don't have to put it on her because she learned from the prong collar. She is great and walks right next to me.

Everyone has different styles. My trainer recommended a prong collar.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Just remembered something:

We were at PetSmart one day, and there was this Russian chick with her little Miniature Pinscher and the damn thing was barking, teeth showing, and snapping at my pup who was just sitting there looking at it like, "*****es be crazy." Anywho, the Russian chick picks up her dog and she's like, "Oh, he does that when he's scared." You're dog is not scared, your dog is aggressive and needs training!
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options

I tried everything I could before resorting to the prong collar because I felt like it was going to hurt her. We had her in training classes and even the instructor recommended the prong collar because she pulled so bad, and is so big. After the first use, she was a completely different dog. And I definitely agree, all dogs are different!
  • rukusmay
    rukusmay Posts: 5
    Options
    YESSSSSSSSSS!
  • flsunshine
    Options

I tried everything I could before resorting to the prong collar because I felt like it was going to hurt her. We had her in training classes and even the instructor recommended the prong collar because she pulled so bad, and is so big. After the first use, she was a completely different dog. And I definitely agree, all dogs are different!
    im cool with using the prong collars and chokers if the people are willing to use them properly- ive seen so many people over the past 15 yrs use them incorrectly- glad yall are willing to work with a trainer to be taught how to use them- i recommend the gentle lead because it is affect pending on the dog and if the owner wants to work with their dog.
    i have a client who had an 80 lb german shepard and she was using a halter the dog was literally dragging her around- so i told her about the gentle lead- i saw her a fews weeks ago and she was amazed by the difference-
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    And...don't get a puppy unless you are ready to deal with the chewing, peeing, activity that keeps puppy busy, etc, etc. If you aren't wanting to deal with that, then there are perfect well behaved adult dogs available for adoption...just take the time to find one.
  • PANZERIA
    Options
    ive been working with animals for 15 yrs- i dont agree with prongs or chain collars unless you know how to use them correctly. i tell people all the time buy a gentle lead first. those things are amazing!!!!
    i worked in mostly shelters and people all the time came in wanting a dog and not researching the types of breeds they really want. gotta look at what you are willing to committe first. and grooming so many people dont realize how often some dogs require to be groomed- yea that toy poodle is cute but are you willing to pay out of pocket every 6 to 8 weeks to keep the fur trimmed or are you up for daily brushings to keep it from matting inbetween.
    another note- im currently workin at a vets and little dogs are horrible and its because the owners refuse to properly train them because theyre little- i say fudge that- begin training them to be held and restraint asap this goes for large dogs too.
    and cats theyre a different story

Hello fellow animal worker! =D Keep doing what you're doing!

I have a gentle lead for my 7 year old terrier/poodle who was given to me by an owner who had NO CLUE about walking, lol. She was the worst puller. The gentle lead has worked wonders for her, and for me! My arm doesn't hurt and she actually gets walked now, lol.

Wow, I didn't even mention grooming in my personal 'pet' peeves! (see what I did there??? =D) It's definitely tough watching some dogs run around completely matted and dirty, and the owners are all "Oh...I never let it in the house, so it doesn't matter if it's properly groomed, right?" *headdesk*
  • Mirror_Mirror
    Options
    I work in a vet clinic and I see this all the time as well. So many people have no idea not only of how the dog is supposed to behave but also how to properly take care of one. Research is key! Even if it's a mutt look up both breeds and don't just expect to get the *best* traits of both dogs either you may get the worst of them but with patience, love, and consistency almost all animals can be trained.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Dogs...awesome creatures....owners? Not always the best of them.

I have the sweetest pittie ever. She was a rescue and has some issues with getting along with other dogs, mostly because she was a scavenger before being rescued and had to defend herself. So she gets territorial and defensive. But she is SO eager to please her owner (me) and would just die to make me happy. It's only fair that I take the mantle of responsibility and ensure that she is always safe and that I am ALWAYS in control. Especially when around other dogs since I know it's her trigger.

The dog in my picture? A 17 year old Dachsund Pug mix...I had to put her down yesterday, it was the saddest thing. She's in a better place now, but she left behind a pretty sad mom.

And I'm currently fostering my exes' pitbull while he finds a more pet friendly home for his dog. Again, really sweet rescue dog. His issue is humans though as he was beaten with a fan belt, starved and abandoned before he was found. Both his front paws were broken, so he hates having them touched. But again, as long as I keep him safe and am always in control (especially around humans he hasn't gotten to know yet) then he's a perfect gentlemen.

The problem is rarely ever the dog, the problem is the people who have to be in it 100% for the sake of the dog.

L
  • flsunshine
    Options
    Dogs...awesome creatures....owners? Not always the best of them.

I have the sweetest pittie ever. She was a rescue and has some issues with getting along with other dogs, mostly because she was a scavenger before being rescued and had to defend herself. So she gets territorial and defensive. But she is SO eager to please her owner (me) and would just die to make me happy. It's only fair that I take the mantle of responsibility and ensure that she is always safe and that I am ALWAYS in control. Especially when around other dogs since I know it's her trigger.

The dog in my picture? A 17 year old Dachsund Pug mix...I had to put her down yesterday, it was the saddest thing. She's in a better place now, but she left behind a pretty sad mom.

And I'm currently fostering my exes' pitbull while he finds a more pet friendly home for his dog. Again, really sweet rescue dog. His issue is humans though as he was beaten with a fan belt, starved and abandoned before he was found. Both his front paws were broken, so he hates having them touched. But again, as long as I keep him safe and am always in control (especially around humans he hasn't gotten to know yet) then he's a perfect gentlemen.

The problem is rarely ever the dog, the problem is the people who have to be in it 100% for the sake of the dog.

L
    so sorry to hear about having to put your pet down. its a tough decision. and best of wishes with youre foster pup-
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Those poky/spikey collars piss me off.

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!

They shouldn't piss you off. They're meant for bigger dogs (and mine being a Rotti has a VERY high pain tolerance) they're not meant to abuse, they're meant to discipline.

And yes, the stigma about pits is stupid. Every single one I've met has been a freaking sweetheart.

Prong collars not usually seen in the UK thank god!!!!!! Our first two dogs were great on and off the lead, a lab cross and a full rottie! (yes they can be very well trained) our second two dogs (after first two died) are a full lab and a rottie crossed with a lab. The full lab is great off the lead but a pain on the lead and was doing well with training until we got the second dog so it is back to basics with him. The rottie cross is a pain on the lead as she pulls a lot BUT she came to as as an older rescue with quite a few issues (very good with people though) and it is only to be expected that there are some areas that take longer to recorrect than others but we would never ever ever consider any type of prong collar. They are cruel and teach a dog not to do things or they will be hurt, when they should be learning that good behaviour brings rewards.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    If these sort of questions make you crazy, maybe you should get into a new line of work. I appreciate that people should research their dogs before they get them (having 2 jack russels- I am a firm believer in research first) but I don't go to my doctor thinking I know more that her or tell the personal trainer at the gym that I know how to do all the right exercises to do to make me thin. I go to these people and ASK QUESTIONS- maybe even stupid ones to them but they are the expert, not me. At least these people are asking so you can educate them. I am happy that people are taking dogs into their home and loving them or at least trying to find a better way to take care of them.

^^This^^.......Disagree with your attitude toward your clients. I have 6 dogs, I've had a dog in my life since I was about a year old, I'm now 52. Not everyone can do research on their dog before they take them into their home. Several of my dogs were dumped off on my road and showed up at my door. Was I supposed to leave them to starve until I did my "research?" I have 4 Chihuahuas, 1 Terrier mix and 1 Lab/Carolina dog mix.....they are all well behaved and I did it with love not abuse or collars. My dogs literally understand what I say to them....not just a few words but most words. To me, it depends on the amount of time you give your animals. They respond best to love and love nothing better than pleasing their human and just like humans they respond negatively to negative and positively to positive.
  • PANZERIA
    Options

Maybe I should get into a new line of work, eh? Or maybe! just maybe! people could actually do their homework BEFORE picking up fluffy from the local pet store, and turning that cute little fuzzball into a biting, child-mauling nightmare.

I love doing basic obedience with people and I ADORE helping people who want to be helped. People come up to me in the street and ask me questions, and I have no problem taking ten minutes out of my day to explain a training technique to them.

It's the people who ask for my help, then turn around and get 'lazy' and stop the training (to the detriment of the dog) that pisses me off. To be honest, I don't do my job for the people - I do it for the dog. I love seeing people having a bond with the animal, but people UNDERSTAND the bond. Animals don't understand language, so they can't be TOLD what not to do. They have to be shown, and people who essentially say "...Well, Fluffy, it's been fun, but you're now two years old and you bite too much. I don't like it. Off to the humane society with you!" are the absolute worst.

Sure, they can claim ignorance...but when you influence an intelligent, sensitive life who can NOT understand why you're abandoning him at the shelter when he/she has done everything you've asked, THEN I have a problem.
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    My big girl is a wolamute so I constantly have husky owners trying to tell me how to train her. Even so far as a neighbor who came over for a cookout sitting outside 'training' her when I wasn't even present. Hmm seems like it would help if I was the one she obeys not a for the most part stranger but what do I know from reasearching the breed right? It actually creeped me out because she didn't ask me and was there by herself. My dog does listen for the most part, still needs a lot of work on pulling but she has stopped pulling towards other dogs who bark when we walk she just needs reminding that she is not the alpha and does not get to lead our walks. Everything I've read says this breed will constantly challenge for alpha and you'll never completely break that instinct because of the wolf.

We've had her for about 3 months and she's made amazing progress from being timid with US since the previous people kept her chained outdoors inside a kennel with another of her breed. She rarely barks, can't think of a time besides when someone comes onto our property and we are not aware, if we stand there and see them shes quiet.
  • PANZERIA
    Options
    I see it all the time too, Im on my third German Shepard (the two before died of old age) and I have a Retriever as well.

I was on a dog walk and a small dog came running up to my Shep barking and snapping at it. The owner came slowly over, picked her dog up and cradeled it in her arms:

Me: You know you just rewarded your dog for that behavior don't you?
    She: I dont know why he does that. I think its because your dog is so big.

How do you even start explaining to someone like that what they did wrong and how they need to correct it?

I could give you so many other examples... Dont get a dog if you are unwilling to train it properly.
    Oh, and dont get a dog unless you are willing to exercise it AND pick up after it. I hate people that dont do that!

Great advice. Im sure you give a lot of wonderful advice to owners that are smart enough to hire a trainer.

Hey! A fellow shepherd owner!!!

Lol, I always laugh whenever I see people doing stuff like that. I don't usually give my opinion at the dog park, though. No one ever listens. The only time I ever snapped on an owner was when a guy with a completely un-trained, overly aggressive mastiff/pit bull came into the park one day. I saw it coming a mile away and started walking over to the dog. I didn't get there in time and the damn thing attacked a husky. I pulled them apart and tore the owner a new one and asked him where his leash and muzzle were. He pretended he didn't understand english and walked away with the dog still off-leash. Grr...

Thanks for the support! It seems that I'm getting ganged-up on in here...lol.