What Dog Owners Do...

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I have seen so many people take on pets that are just absolutely incapable, because of failure to do research and realize the responsibility of owning and taking care of one. My sister in law had a Pomeranian, got another one, and then wanted a golden retriever. So she got the golden, realized 3 dogs was too many for her in an apartment, so she got rid of one of the pomeranians. It broke my heart to see animals are disposable to her. Thankfully she gave it away to a family and not to a shelter, but still! My pets are like children, I don't get how people can just not care the way they do. If you are going to get a pet, READ and do research on them!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    I have a rescue dog.

He was a stray and had been abused and was very scared when I got him.

I have spent loads of time trying to build up his confidence and make him feel secure. I give him a row when he does something wrong and he goes back into his shell.

Never had a problem in controlling him just keeping him happy and positive after all the abuse he has had to go through.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    I do hope that it's not a problem that i let my pup kiss me <3
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

I am a dog trainer and I have been working with and rehabilitating dogs for several years now. I have rehabilitated and re-homed a number of dogs, so it really drives me nuts when I get stupid questions from clients who don't do their research BEFORE taking home that adorable little puppy in the window.

Here are questions/situations that drive me crazy:

Q: When do I start training my new puppy?
    A: As soon as you walk through the door of your house.

Client: My little dog jumping up on me is so cute, and I love it when he/she rushes to the door to greet me when I walk in! But I wish he would calm down the rest of the time...
    Me: ...Srsly?

Q: How do I discipline my little chihuahua/other small canine?
    A: Exactly the same way as if he were a 100lb german shepherd.
    Q: BUT I DON'T WANT TO HURT HIM.
    A: ...Are you trying to actually hurt, or are you trying to discipline? Discipline: no hurt. Abusing: Hurting.

Client: My dog always pulls on the leash. I tried it your way for a couple of walks (light corrections and treats whenever they pay attention), but it didn't work. So I just went out and bought a prong collar...and it still doesn't work!

Client: I'm afraid of my neighbors' pit bull! You should test it and put it down!

And so on and so forth. My main clients are the ones with larger dogs (because they pose a real danger if not trained properly), but it's definitely the people with small dogs who have no clue on how to train them or know how their small dog is SUPPOSED to behave.

In short: DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING A DOG, PEOPLE!

When you deal with them and their dog food purchases, come talk to me. It's even worse lol.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Try being a horse trainer! I love my clients! I love educating people, but the questions that you get from people that just got their first horse and did no research make me tremble. I find when you get horrible questions, if you nicely let them know your hourly rate and that you have availability next week, you either get a new client or you don't get anymore horrible questions. But I feel your pain. I also think as trainers we have a duty to stress the importance of education and trainning.

Yep, we definitely do.

I find when I do the one-on-one sessions, I can get my point across. The most infuriating people are the ones who say "...But my friends told me this!" "...Are your friends dog trainers?" "No. But they have a dog." "...Okay..."

Usual working-with-people stuff, I suppose, but hey, if we can make the life better for the animal, that's what it's all about right?

I don't know if I could work with horses...dogs, even the big ones, are still small enough for me to control (plus I know what I'm doing, lol, so I suppose that helps). I'm always intimidated by a horses' size...and the power of those legs. I have a healthy respect for horses, that's for sure! Lol.
  • PANZERIA
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

I am a dog trainer and I have been working with and rehabilitating dogs for several years now. I have rehabilitated and re-homed a number of dogs, so it really drives me nuts when I get stupid questions from clients who don't do their research BEFORE taking home that adorable little puppy in the window.

Client: My little dog jumping up on me is so cute, and I love it when he/she rushes to the door to greet me when I walk in! But I wish he would calm down the rest of the time...

A: ...Are you trying to actually hurt, or are you trying to discipline? Discipline: no hurt. Abusing: Hurting.

Client: My dog always pulls on the leash. I tried it your way for a couple of walks (light corrections and treats whenever they pay attention), but it didn't work. So I just went out and bought a prong collar...and it still doesn't work!

Client: I'm afraid of my neighbors' pit bull! You should test it and put it down!

And so on and so forth. My main clients are the ones with larger dogs (because they pose a real danger if not trained properly), but it's definitely the people with small dogs who have no clue on how to train them or know how their small dog is SUPPOSED to behave.

When you deal with them and their dog food purchases, come talk to me. It's even worse lol.

Ooh...I'm probably one of those trainers who sends those people to you looking for a better food...sorry? Lol.
  • PANZERIA
    I do hope that it's not a problem that i let my pup kiss me <3

So long as he/she is calm when they are doing it, you tell them when to do it, they don't jump up on other people/put their face in another person's space, and you've got complete control over the rest of his/her behavior, I think that it's ADORABLE!!!!!

I couldn't do it, lol. My hubby lets our dogs give him a few kisses now and again, but I just think it's icky.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    I guess I've just never seen anyone use the prong collars in the right way then.

I've also seen animal cops one too many times and how badly they can hurt the dog if not used right.

All you're supposed to do is a very quick, very light tug on the leash. Nothing with strength or anything that would lift the dog. It's a super quick movement.

Yuck. Never. There are other ways. In the UK I would seriously consider reporting anyone I saw with one of these on their dog - but I never ever have. Perhaps they are illegal here?

Certainly it would be considered abusive and the owner would be challenged by the general public, so perhaps that puts people off.

Who said that "rotties have a high pain threshold" and that's the only way to manage? it's a disgusting comment. Try one on your own neck and see how it feels (Victoria Stilwell actually made some owners do this on her US version of her TV programme, and it cured them...) Well like OP said, do your research and get a nice little chihuahua that you can be a good owner to without cruelty. Or a cat. Or a budgie.
  • PANZERIA
    I have a rescue dog.

He was a stray and had been abused and was very scared when I got him.

I have spent loads of time trying to build up his confidence and make him feel secure. I give him a row when he does something wrong and he goes back into his shell.

Never had a problem in controlling him just keeping him happy and positive after all the abuse he has had to go through.

Yeah. Rescue dogs are tough and take a long time.

Just remember that he's not dwelling on his past. Moving forward is always the best thing to do for a dog. Yes, feel sorry for him, but always be happy for him and each day that he's living away from the hell you took him from. =) The more confident you are, and so long as you have strict rules and boundaries, he'll be perfectly fine.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Oh GOD don't get me started on the crap people feed their dogs!! Nutrition for dogs is just as important as it is for people!!

What makes me crazy are the idiot dog owners in my apartment complex that let their dogs run around off the leash. I don't know how many times I've had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting my neighbor's dog, or keep my dog from tearing the head off some pain in the *kitten* yappy little dog that wants to run up and bark like crazy, while the owner does nothing but yell at ME to control my dog. Yeah, MY dog that's on the leash and going nowhere but where I let her go and responding to what she sees as YOUR dog who is off the leash trying to attack her/me. But since my dog is bigger and has a scarier bark, apparently I'm the only one who needs to control their pet. Right.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    I have a Roxie-Dog....she's a lab/shepard mix rescue that is amazing with my kids. She walks well on a leash and doesn't usually pull. She will sit, stay, catch frisbees, tennis balls, etc...she comes when called.

But the barking. OH>>>>>the BARKING!! We have walked her until she's tired. We have trained and trained and trained. But she doesn't stop barking. She barks at cars going by. She barks at nothing. She barks at people jogging. She barks at squirrels. Last summer we had contractors fixing our house and we had to break down and get a citronella spray bark collar. It seemed less cruel than the shock ones. :( But she literally barked for 12 hours straight one day and I knew she was driving the contractors insane. he eventually figured out that the collar beeps a warning, so she barks until she hears the beep and then pauses long enough to let it reset. Rinse and repeat. She's VERY smart....

What can you do for barking? It's the one thing I can't seem to train out of her.
  • mrmanmeat
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Ooh...I'm probably one of those trainers who sends those people to you looking for a better food...sorry? Lol.

I'll need a few more sorry's for some of these people. lol
  • mrmanmeat
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Oh GOD don't get me started on the crap people feed their dogs!! Nutrition for dogs is just as important as it is for people!!

What makes me crazy are the idiot dog owners in my apartment complex that let their dogs run around off the leash. I don't know how many times I've had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting my neighbor's dog, or keep my dog from tearing the head off some pain in the *kitten* yappy little dog that want to run up and bark like crazy, while the owner does nothing but yell at ME to control my dog. Yeah, MY dog that's on the leash and going nowhere but where I let her go and responding to what she sees as YOUR dog who is off the leash trying to attack her/me. But since my dog is bigger and has a scarier bark, apparently I'm the only one who needs to control their pet. Right.

ugh, some people. Not everything you read on the internet is TRUE, shocking, I know.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Ha. My border collie/husky cross? Amazing. Smart dog. I taught her to sit in 10 minutes at the SPCA before we brought her home. (She was a stray puppy, estimated to be around 13 weeks when we got her.) She's phenomenal on a leash.

My chihuahua? Let's just say that he's not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.

The border collie is better trained, but the chihuahua is still manageable. For instance, he only jumps on me. And the border collie only jumps on the husband with an invitation. (She likes "hugs".) I don't understand people who don't even attempt to teach their dogs decent manners.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I guess I've just never seen anyone use the prong collars in the right way then.

I've also seen animal cops one too many times and how badly they can hurt the dog if not used right.

All you're supposed to do is a very quick, very light tug on the leash. Nothing with strength or anything that would lift the dog. It's a super quick movement.

Yuck. Never. There are other ways. In the UK I would seriously consider reporting anyone I saw with one of these on their dog - but I never ever have. Perhaps they are illegal here?

Certainly it would be considered abusive and the owner would be challenged by the general public, so perhaps that puts people off.

Who said that "rotties have a high pain threshold" and that's the only way to manage? it's a disgusting comment. Try one on your own neck and see how it feels (Victoria Stilwell actually made some owners do this on her US version of her TV programme, and it cured them...) Well like OP said, do your research and get a nice little chihuahua that you can be a good owner to without cruelty. Or a cat. Or a budgie.

I'm completely against those prong collars, but a gentle leader harness does WONDERS without being painful at all. There are two kinds, one that goes across the chest (which we have for our dog--30 lb mix of something we can't figure out, she's a shelter dog), and the other that has a light strap around the muzzle that I've seen used with larger dogs like Rotties, Pits, German Shepherds, etc. It's not tight, the dog can still drink water or receive a treat, but they can't pull you along just because of the direction it makes their head go when the leash becomes taught.
  • mrmanmeat
    I have a Roxie-Dog....she's a lab/shepard mix rescue that is amazing with my kids. She walks well on a leash and doesn't usually pull. She will sit, stay, catch frisbees, tennis balls, etc...she comes when called.

But the barking. OH>>>>>the BARKING!! We have walked her until she's tired. We have trained and trained and trained. But she doesn't stop barking. She barks at cars going by. She barks at nothing. She barks at people jogging. She barks at squirrels. Last summer we had contractors fixing our house and we had to break down and get a citronella spray bark collar. It seemed less cruel than the shock ones. :( But she literally barked for 12 hours straight one day and I knew she was driving the contractors insane. he eventually figured out that the collar beeps a warning, so she barks until she hears the beep and then pauses long enough to let it reset. Rinse and repeat. She's VERY smart....

What can you do for barking? It's the one thing I can't seem to train out of her.

What's she barking at?

squire bottle works (with water) and is fun.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

I can understand your frustration... but wouldn't you be out of a JOB if everybody did their research and were 100% au fait with the methodology and practice.

It is true that some folks just shouldn't be responsible for any animal because they are totally irresponsible, but I've been around animals all my life and still sometimes there are things I wonder about.

But others are well-meaning and want to love and care for another animal, be it a dog, a cat, a hamster or a goldfish. They might have done a little research, but that's why they then come to experts for advice.

And like MFP... there's advice and there's advice and not everyone sings for the same hymn sheet, but they all believe their way is best!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    [/quote]

Try one on your own neck and see how it feels (Victoria Stilwell actually made some owners do this on her US version of her TV programme, and it cured them...) Well like OP said, do your research and get a nice little chihuahua that you can be a good owner to without cruelty. Or a cat. Or a budgie.

[/quote]

Sorry, but I absolutely HATE this rationalization. Sure put one on, but be sure and put several layers on under it! Dogs skin is NOTHING like a humans and making this comparison is just asinine! I've seen Victoria, and she is a great trainer, but I do not agree with everything she does.

Most issues CAN be dealt with with another tool, however to compare a human neck and structure to a dogs is simply foolish.
  • PANZERIA

Actually, it really depends on the dog. Some dogs can handle the choke collar, some can't. If it works for her and both her and the dog are comfortable with it, it's really not a problem.

She uses what's called 'negative reinforcement.' If her dog responds to it, then that's what works for her. All three of my dogs use different training methods, anywhere from positive reinforcement training, to negative reinforcement training.

If she's using the pinch collar responsibly, then it's a good tool to use. She's also got her dog in level 3 obedience, so I think they're pretty good in terms of figuring out what works for them and the dog.

You can use a different method, absolutely, but a properly used choke collar isn't abuse. Just a tool.

Also, humans have a very low threshold of pain on our necks. We're pretty much wusses if we were to compare ourselves to a dog. Dogs nip each other to correct, and using a choke collar is the exact same thing. You wouldn't call a dog nipping another dog who is doing improper behavior 'animal abuse.' If the dog was attacking the other dog, it would be a different story, but a quick nip is just a correction to snap the dog out of whatever mindset they were in before.

People who drag the dog off the ground when they correct and, or, don't correct properly, however, are definitely abusing. There's a fine line, but she's doing it correctly.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    My boyfriend and I have 3 heelers between us (2 for me, 1 for him). They're not perfect, but most of their faults are because it was an annoying behavior we allowed because it didn't bug us that much (they bark at the doorbell, for instance, but the are NOT allowed to jump on whoever enters).

We walk all of our dogs off leash, and call them in when people approach (even in dog-friendly areas not everyone likes dogs and some people are scared off being approached). People are always amazed that our dogs will come, even if there are distractions, and sit at the side of the trail until we say they can move.

What I don't get is why good behavior in a dog is so damn amazing. One of my dogs is deaf as a stone and we can get him to do this... but so many of the people we see can't control their dogs even on a leash, much less with voice / hand commands.

The other one I "love" is the people who say "Oh, it's ok, my dog is friendly" as their dog runs up to jump on mine. Yeah... what if mine weren't? You just let your dog enter a dangerous situation. I've seen that one sooooo many times when people let their "friendly" dog approach an unknown dog, often when the other dog is on leash. Really?? Not all dogs are dog friendly, and that can't always be trained away... so the responsible dog owner who kept his/her dog under control then gets put in a situation where their dog may harm another animal. Nice.

And don't even get me started on dog parks. WATCH your dogs, people. DON'T BRING aggressive dogs to the dog park. If you're not sure if your dog is aggressive, figure it out FIRST, before you go to the dog park.

Ok... rant over :-) Thanks for putting up this forum so I could vent!