What Dog Owners Do...

Options

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't get a dog if you're not up for it!
    We rescused our Eva a year ago now. She's a lab/shepherd mix (we think?? lol). She's getting close to about 3 years old we think. Biggest sweetheart ever!! She's so good with my boys, who are wild at 4 & 6, lol. Not the brightest dog ever, but I think she does OK, she gets what we want eventually and she's sooooo eager to please.
    But, she is a bigtime puller when I take her for walks - if I'm running, its not so bad, because she can't stop and sniff so much, lol. I bought her the gentle leader and she's much better. She still pulls, but not nearly so much. My Dad says we *have* to get her a choker collar because of this. I refuse. 1. the Vet says she has a VERY sensitive larynx, possibly from some past trauma (we're fairly certain she was abused b/c of the way she acts if my husband so much as yells, even if its not at her) 2. I saw what the prong collar did to HIS dog - massive infection from it ripping into the skin. So not happening.

Now, how do I get her to stop jumping on people when they come to the door?? lol. She's gotten really good about it when we come home, but she seems to think anyone who comes to the door is a threat. She's not violent or mean, she just tries to keep them from coming in the house by shoving them down! (she's not quite 50 lbs and usually doesn't suceed) I do not reward this behavior with petting or anything of the like. I ask them to not pet her, and I tell her down and sit. Part of it might be that we hardly ever had visitors at our last place, but here we get them all the time (neighbors coming to play with the kids). I suppose it will just take time??
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Those poky/spikey collars piss me off.

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!

They shouldn't piss you off. They're meant for bigger dogs (and mine being a Rotti has a VERY high pain tolerance) they're not meant to abuse, they're meant to discipline.

And yes, the stigma about pits is stupid. Every single one I've met has been a freaking sweetheart.

Prong collars not usually seen in the UK thank god!!!!!! Our first two dogs were great on and off the lead, a lab cross and a full rottie! (yes they can be very well trained) our second two dogs (after first two died) are a full lab and a rottie crossed with a lab. The full lab is great off the lead but a pain on the lead and was doing well with training until we got the second dog so it is back to basics with him. The rottie cross is a pain on the lead as she pulls a lot BUT she came to as as an older rescue with quite a few issues (very good with people though) and it is only to be expected that there are some areas that take longer to recorrect than others but we would never ever ever consider any type of prong collar. They are cruel and teach a dog not to do things or they will be hurt, when they should be learning that good behaviour brings rewards.

I have a Rotti, so I know they can be very well trained. And you are soooo misguided on your interpretation of a prong collar. You're so off base.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If these sort of questions make you crazy, maybe you should get into a new line of work. I appreciate that people should research their dogs before they get them (having 2 jack russels- I am a firm believer in research first) but I don't go to my doctor thinking I know more that her or tell the personal trainer at the gym that I know how to do all the right exercises to do to make me thin. I go to these people and ASK QUESTIONS- maybe even stupid ones to them but they are the expert, not me. At least these people are asking so you can educate them. I am happy that people are taking dogs into their home and loving them or at least trying to find a better way to take care of them.

^^This^^.......Disagree with your attitude toward your clients. I have 6 dogs, I've had a dog in my life since I was about a year old, I'm now 52. Not everyone can do research on their dog before they take them into their home. Several of my dogs were dumped off on my road and showed up at my door. Was I supposed to leave them to starve until I did my "research?" I have 4 Chihuahuas, 1 Terrier mix and 1 Lab/Carolina dog mix.....they are all well behaved and I did it with love not abuse or collars. My dogs literally understand what I say to them....not just a few words but most words. To me, it depends on the amount of time you give your animals. They respond best to love and love nothing better than pleasing their human and just like humans they respond negatively to negative and positively to positive.

Lol, I don't have an 'attitude' towards my clients.

I, too, have taken in several dogs from the streets. I used to live on a reserve in the north, 4 hours away from the nearest vet and humane society, so these dogs would have to live with me until I could afford a trip into a city. However, I know dog behavior and know what I'm doing, as do you. That's a completely different situation.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I'm talking about the people who automatically say "I want a chihuahua because I want to dress them up in clothes!" or "I want a pit-bull or a rottweiler to protect my family!" without doing proper research on the breed. They only want one characteristic instead of looking at the whole picture: how well does that breed get along with children? How intelligent/trainable is the breed? If you already have children, do you have time to raise a puppy? Etc.
  • PANZERIA
    Options

Those poky/spikey collars piss me off.

I am a firm believer that the stigma with pits is BS. It's all in how you raise them. Mine is the equivalent of scooby doo. A big dumb cuddely loveable bear!

They shouldn't piss you off. They're meant for bigger dogs (and mine being a Rotti has a VERY high pain tolerance) they're not meant to abuse, they're meant to discipline.

And yes, the stigma about pits is stupid. Every single one I've met has been a freaking sweetheart.

Prong collars not usually seen in the UK thank god!!!!!! Our first two dogs were great on and off the lead, a lab cross and a full rottie! (yes they can be very well trained) our second two dogs (after first two died) are a full lab and a rottie crossed with a lab. The full lab is great off the lead but a pain on the lead and was doing well with training until we got the second dog so it is back to basics with him. The rottie cross is a pain on the lead as she pulls a lot BUT she came to as as an older rescue with quite a few issues (very good with people though) and it is only to be expected that there are some areas that take longer to recorrect than others but we would never ever ever consider any type of prong collar. They are cruel and teach a dog not to do things or they will be hurt, when they should be learning that good behaviour brings rewards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voW2Vkq0u6Q&feature=plcp - This is a great resource for positive training if your dog is pulling. I just posted this one for someone else, but if you look through this person's videos, you'll find the 'walking' tutorials. I think this would really work for you guys!

Also, prong collars can be cruel if used incorrectly, but they can also be a life-saving tool if used properly. If the dog reacts properly to the collar and if the owner doesn't abuse it, then both the dog and the owner can enjoy a nice walk together without added stress.

I've seen them abused, trust me. I've had to have several long discussions about them to several clients who abused them. BUT if it works for a particular dog and client (and everyone is different), then I say go for it.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    its kind of like reading what to expect when you're expecting and all those baby and child psych books, taking a early childhood education class, etc.. when you're having a human baby.

when you have a fur baby you have to do the same thing. ask questions, research, get knowledgeable about training, before the fur baby comes home.

its not that hard. i'm not well versed in dog training, as my dog was 6 years old when i met her dad and she really only listens to him. we still went to doggy training and i found out as much as i could about how to properly care for and feed my huge 80lb lap dog.

i'm better with cats, and i know i'm a good cat mom because i've done the research i've asked the questions and i've followed what the experts say.

i dont think its unreasonable to expect parents of fur babies to do the right thing and learn how to care for their baby.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    If these sort of questions make you crazy, maybe you should get into a new line of work. I appreciate that people should research their dogs before they get them (having 2 jack russels- I am a firm believer in research first) but I don't go to my doctor thinking I know more that her or tell the personal trainer at the gym that I know how to do all the right exercises to do to make me thin. I go to these people and ASK QUESTIONS- maybe even stupid ones to them but they are the expert, not me. At least these people are asking so you can educate them. I am happy that people are taking dogs into their home and loving them or at least trying to find a better way to take care of them.

^^This^^.......Disagree with your attitude toward your clients. I have 6 dogs, I've had a dog in my life since I was about a year old, I'm now 52. Not everyone can do research on their dog before they take them into their home. Several of my dogs were dumped off on my road and showed up at my door. Was I supposed to leave them to starve until I did my "research?" I have 4 Chihuahuas, 1 Terrier mix and 1 Lab/Carolina dog mix.....they are all well behaved and I did it with love not abuse or collars. My dogs literally understand what I say to them....not just a few words but most words. To me, it depends on the amount of time you give your animals. They respond best to love and love nothing better than pleasing their human and just like humans they respond negatively to negative and positively to positive.

Lol, I don't have an 'attitude' towards my clients.

I, too, have taken in several dogs from the streets. I used to live on a reserve in the north, 4 hours away from the nearest vet and humane society, so these dogs would have to live with me until I could afford a trip into a city. However, I know dog behavior and know what I'm doing, as do you. That's a completely different situation.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I'm talking about the people who automatically say "I want a chihuahua because I want to dress them up in clothes!" or "I want a pit-bull or a rottweiler to protect my family!" without doing proper research on the breed. They only want one characteristic instead of looking at the whole picture: how well does that breed get along with children? How intelligent/trainable is the breed? If you already have children, do you have time to raise a puppy? Etc.

Point taken. :smile: :flowerforyou: PS.....I love dogs beyond measure and hate, hate to see them abused in any manner.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I guess I've just never seen anyone use the prong collars in the right way then.

I've also seen animal cops one too many times and how badly they can hurt the dog if not used right.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I guess I've just never seen anyone use the prong collars in the right way then.

I've also seen animal cops one too many times and how badly they can hurt the dog if not used right.

All you're supposed to do is a very quick, very light tug on the leash. Nothing with strength or anything that would lift the dog. It's a super quick movement.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I work in a vet clinic. Here are a few of my favorite (sadly true) stories.

1. Lady brought cat in to put it down. Cat was three years old and perfectly healthy, why put it down? Well it's an orange cat and her new furniture is brown. The staff convinced her to take it to a cat rescue near by.

2. Lady calls in to. She needs an appointment right away. The reason? He dog has had a skin infection for about a year (she wasn't sure, it might be two years). In the last six months it has started bleeding and oozing pus. Last month, it began to smell bad. I called other clients to make room in the schedule to get her in, but she already made plans and is going out instead. She came in the following monday. Dog was treated with antibiotics for a long time, but did live.

3. Man brings his dog in. Dog cannot walk. We find the toe-nails have grown into the foot pad. Man tells us he does not want to trim the toenails because he is "afraid he'll hurt the dog". Doctor does surgery to fix the problem and man returned every two months to let us trim the nails.

4. Puppy did not receive it's DHLPPV because owner read this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255863/Vaccines-making-dogs-sick-vets-cash-in.html. Puppy got parvo and was brought in for bloody diarrhea, seizures and had a temperature of 106. We had to put it to sleep. Owner returned the next day and got every dog in her house vaccinated. She also made all her friends do the same.

Edit: We did warn her that vaccines take two weeks for the immunity to build up. If her dogs already contracted the disease, they may still break with it. She cleaned her whole house and luckily, no one else got sick.

All of these stories show you that people are willing to learn, if you just give them the proper information.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Kinda surprised to see this topic here and not a dog forum LOL! Personally I would like to have all owners read something like "Bones would rain from the sky" or the like before bringing a dog into their home, but not always realistic. I have a GSD, have had them most my life. The tool isnt the problem and I have used every tool out there, the problem is how you use the tool and how consistent you are. Different dogs require different levels of tools. I also worked with GSD rescue and foster for many years, and while I could train one dog on a flat collar no problem, another may require the prong, another may need a halter......it is totally dependent on the dog as well as what sort of behaviors you are trying to correct as well. There is no such thing as set it and forget it with a dog, if you want your dog to behave long term you have to be consistent, that is it and find the tools that work. Lots of praise and brief correction works. My dog doesnt work for treats, she works for praise. I had a trainer once that told me to "catch her doing something right, and praise praise praise.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't get a dog if you're not up for it!
    We rescused our Eva a year ago now. She's a lab/shepherd mix (we think?? lol). She's getting close to about 3 years old we think. Biggest sweetheart ever!! She's so good with my boys, who are wild at 4 & 6, lol. Not the brightest dog ever, but I think she does OK, she gets what we want eventually and she's sooooo eager to please.
    But, she is a bigtime puller when I take her for walks - if I'm running, its not so bad, because she can't stop and sniff so much, lol. I bought her the gentle leader and she's much better. She still pulls, but not nearly so much. My Dad says we *have* to get her a choker collar because of this. I refuse. 1. the Vet says she has a VERY sensitive larynx, possibly from some past trauma (we're fairly certain she was abused b/c of the way she acts if my husband so much as yells, even if its not at her) 2. I saw what the prong collar did to HIS dog - massive infection from it ripping into the skin. So not happening.

Now, how do I get her to stop jumping on people when they come to the door?? lol. She's gotten really good about it when we come home, but she seems to think anyone who comes to the door is a threat. She's not violent or mean, she just tries to keep them from coming in the house by shoving them down! (she's not quite 50 lbs and usually doesn't suceed) I do not reward this behavior with petting or anything of the like. I ask them to not pet her, and I tell her down and sit. Part of it might be that we hardly ever had visitors at our last place, but here we get them all the time (neighbors coming to play with the kids). I suppose it will just take time??
    keep her leashed when people enter your home and if she goes to jump correct her. it may take a while but it can be done and youre doing the right thing by not letting people pet her- wait till she is calm and then allow them to touch
  • flsunshine
    Options

1. Lady brought cat in to put it down. Cat was three years old and perfectly healthy, why put it down? Well it's an orange cat and her new furniture is brown. The staff convinced her to take it to a cat rescue near by.

2. Lady calls in to. She needs an appointment right away. The reason? He dog has had a skin infection for about a year (she wasn't sure, it might be two years). In the last six months it has started bleeding and oozing pus. Last month, it began to smell bad. I called other clients to make room in the schedule to get her in, but she already made plans and is going out instead. She came in the following monday. Dog was treated with antibiotics for a long time, but did live.

3. Man brings his dog in. Dog cannot walk. We find the toe-nails have grown into the foot pad. Man tells us he does not want to trim the toenails because he is "afraid he'll hurt the dog". Doctor does surgery to fix the problem and man returned every two months to let us trim the nails.

4. Puppy did not receive it's DHLPPV because owner read this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255863/Vaccines-making-dogs-sick-vets-cash-in.html. Puppy got parvo and was brought in for bloody diarrhea, seizures and had a temperature of 106. We had to put it to sleep. Owner returned the next day and got every dog in her house vaccinated. She also made all her friends do the same.

Edit: We did warn her that vaccines take two weeks for the immunity to build up. If her dogs already contracted the disease, they may still break with it. She cleaned her whole house and luckily, no one else got sick.

All of these stories show you that people are willing to learn, if you just give them the proper information.
    see the same stuff on a regular basis- and whats worse most of the things are preventable- period
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    The dog in my picture? A 17 year old Dachsund Pug mix...I had to put her down yesterday, it was the saddest thing. She's in a better place now, but she left behind a pretty sad mom.

L
    so sorry to hear about having to put your pet down. its a tough decision. and best of wishes with youre foster pup-

It was her time, she was 17 years old in human years, blind (cataracts), deaf, and had lost over half her weight in the last year from just not eating. The past couple of months she had started falling down the stairs, whether she was getting dizzy or disoriented or what I don't know, but it was happening, she fell two days ago and hurt herself pretty badly. (broken rib and front paw) Even though she was another one of my exes dogs I was fostering while he was looking for a pet friendlier place I couldn't consciously let her suffer, so I took her in and put her down.

It was a very sad sad day.

L
  • kfitzs
    kfitzs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i use a face harness on my Rottweiler its like leading a horse it gives me full control and she can only walk next to me or behind me unless i give her alot of the lead. I dont know what a prong collar is but i wouldnt even use a choke chain on my dog.
  • flsunshine
    Options
    The dog in my picture? A 17 year old Dachsund Pug mix...I had to put her down yesterday, it was the saddest thing. She's in a better place now, but she left behind a pretty sad mom.

L
    so sorry to hear about having to put your pet down. its a tough decision. and best of wishes with youre foster pup-

It was her time, she was 17 years old in human years, blind (cataracts), deaf, and had lost over half her weight in the last year from just not eating. The past couple of months she had started falling down the stairs, whether she was getting dizzy or disoriented or what I don't know, but it was happening, she fell two days ago and hurt herself pretty badly. (broken rib and front paw) Even though she was another one of my exes dogs I was fostering while he was looking for a pet friendlier place I couldn't consciously let her suffer, so I took her in and put her down.

L
    even when you know its right its still hard to do-
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i use a face harness on my Rottweiler its like leading a horse it gives me full control and she can only walk next to me or behind me unless i give her alot of the lead. I dont know what a prong collar is but i wouldnt even use a choke chain on my dog.

I personally believe choke chains are more dangerous than a prong, I've seen a lot of people who do not use these correctly either and crush the windpipe more often than not. I dont use choke chains myself, too hard to keep them positioned correctly to be effective.
  • PANZERIA
    Options

L

L

Aww. Poor baby. =( You did the right thing, though, and I'm sure she's much happier now. Sorry you had to go through that. <3<3<3
  • PANZERIA
    Options

I personally believe choke chains are more dangerous than a prong, I've seen a lot of people who do not use these correctly either and crush the windpipe more often than not. I dont use choke chains myself, too hard to keep them positioned correctly to be effective.

In terms of choke chains, I agree. I mean, if you're getting a choke chain, spend the extra ten bucks and get a martingale collar. They're not nearly as detrimental to the larynx as the choke chain is, but they do tighten and you get even more control.
  • PANZERIA
    Options

see the same stuff on a regular basis- and whats worse most of the things are preventable- period

...Putting a cat down because it's fur is the wrong colour?

I can't even...

...Ugh...some people. At least the cat was put into the humane society. Good on you! =D

And yes, absolutely people can learn. It's just those few idiots who get lazy and make the animal suffer because of it that make me mad, lol.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try being a horse trainer! I love my clients! I love educating people, but the questions that you get from people that just got their first horse and did no research make me tremble. I find when you get horrible questions, if you nicely let them know your hourly rate and that you have availability next week, you either get a new client or you don't get anymore horrible questions. But I feel your pain. I also think as trainers we have a duty to stress the importance of education and trainning.