dating event bans fat people

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
Would you be offended?

I personally would not, because 1. whoever organizes it should be allowed to set whatever stipulations they want, 2. I find nothing wrong with having a personal preference to someone's looks. If someone said to me, I can't date you because you are fat, yes I would be hurt. But I could not blame someone for not approaching me because they aren't attracted to bigger girls, 3. How is this any different than checking the "I prefer slim people" box on yahoo personals? A person's size isn't all there is to them, but physical attraction is very important and some people just aren't attracted to bigger people, just as I am not attracted to slim, smaller guys.

Discuss

http://living.msn.com/love-relationships/the-heart-beat-blog-post?post=b58ed513-8203-44de-8685-81cb0b5c0ddd

Replies

• spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Your assumptions preclude anyone that actually *is* attracted to overweight people. To ban them entirely just seems absurd. If someone doesn't fit your bill, don't check their name off. No need to ban an entire subset of the population. That's like saying "sorry, no one with glasses at this dating event because I don't find them attractive." Odds are good that someone else will.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Well if you are attracted to bigger people and/or doesn't think it makes a difference, it's pretty simple. Don't go to that particular dating event. Between online and in person, there are tons of ways to meet someone. Why would someone get offended by ONE event organized that either doesn't include them because they are overweight, or won't have anyone there that they would be interested in?

I don't see how this is any different than a singles mixers organized at a church. Clearly everyone there will be people involved in the church and have religious beliefs so if you yourself are not religious or you do not want to date someone who is, you probably shouldn't go to this event.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's very offensive, how could it not be? It's rude and tacky.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    You do have a point that if the "group" has a preference for fit/thin/ whatever then that is their right in which to set the regulations for the meeting. However in doing this you also ban those people that are trying to become fit/thin/whatever that would be able to participate in the activities that those in the group would enjoy and be apart of. If you place a regulation on appearance then you thin out not only the people you don't want but the people that may contribute something that is unexpected and great.

The quote "Never judge a book by its' cover" comes to mind.

And to answer the question yes I do find it offensive to have such a preference. However I agree that there are plenty of other ways in which to find people.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

When I used to use okcupid.com, I could set my options so that it wouldn't even show those outside of my personalized specifications. To me, this is kind of like that, just in "real life".

People who don't like it don't have to go.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well if you are attracted to bigger people and/or doesn't think it makes a difference, it's pretty simple. Don't go to that particular dating event. Between online and in person, there are tons of ways to meet someone. Why would someone get offended by ONE event organized that either doesn't include them because they are overweight, or won't have anyone there that they would be interested in?

I don't see how this is any different than a singles mixers organized at a church. Clearly everyone there will be people involved in the church and have religious beliefs so if you yourself are not religious or you do not want to date someone who is, you probably shouldn't go to this event.
    That would only be a good analogy if the church mixer actually banned Muslims, Jews, Baptists, etc. If someone showed up to a church mixer and brought their friend Mohammed Goldweitz do you think the church would turn him away?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

When I used to use okcupid.com, I could set my options so that it wouldn't even show those outside of my personalized specifications. To me, this is kind of like that, just in "real life".

..That's a way of looking at it suppose....

The question is, is this offensive? and the only answer is yes, absolutely it's offensive. I am not even a "fat" person and I'm offended at how ignorant people in this world can be.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I don't find it offensive, but I don't find anything offensive.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

..That's a way of looking at it suppose....

The question is, is this offensive? and the only answer is yes, absolutely it's offensive. I am not even a "fat" person and I'm offended at how ignorant people in this world can be.

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with events that allow douchey people to meet one another. I hope they all find love and pair off at such events, weeding them out of the general population of single people.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Not offensive at all to me... but look its being filmed for a reality tv show would you expect anything less.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    meh...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's offensive.

Being overweight is a choice.

I don't respect people aren't taking care of their bodies, this includes by doing drugs or staying overweight or anything that is destructive, and I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who is.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    M'eh, it's no different than having a speed dating event for BBW and the men who love them. And they do exist. You don't have to be offended that you don't fit in everywhere.
  • vanishingirl77
    Options
    I find everything offensive...but not this for some reason. I mean, other than calling someone who is a size 10 fat. That's offensive.:mad:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont find it offensive in the least. what i die find offensive is some people getting their panties in a bunch to find out that not every one is attracted to them physically.

not sure how this is any different than women who only want to date men who are taller than them or people who only date x ethnic group. you like what you like and you shouldnt have to be called shallow or a douche because you're not willing to let anyone, regardless of your physical attraction to them, be able to have sex with you
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Of course its offensive. Not to mention it would preclude over 60 per cent of the population who are overweight. For a single person serious about finding 'the one' that's a whole lot of people they have automatically excluded, based on something that can be changed.

Having said that, I wouldn't go for a fat guy. Just my personal preference. And yes, I am superficial. And vain. And a whole lot of other things that would probably stop a gorgeous fat man from wanting to date me ;oP
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
    M'eh, it's no different than having a speed dating event for BBW and the men who love them. And they do exist. You don't have to be offended that you don't fit in everywhere.

I think it's quite different as BBW is more like a fetish. I'm sure they allow "fat" men to participate in this.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There will always be disgusting people. I agree with morebean, let them pair up, get the f* out of the dating pool to be miserably married and leave the awesome people to enjoy ourselves :tongue:
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    this is stupid, but the people going to the event have the same wants and needs and are attracted to this event because of that. its not offensive. to each there own.