dating event bans fat people

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree that its offensive & insulting while at the same time its very shallow & immature that people would just basing their date on their size. I've had those bad experiences in the past when I was still big & believe me it destroyed my self-esteem & my whole being. I know we have different preferences but you don't have to ban the entire population just because you're not attracted to them. You can instead tell them that "I think you look fine but you're just not my type" .

People need to be more tactful when addressing somebody that they don't like.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    M'eh, it's no different than having a speed dating event for BBW and the men who love them. And they do exist. You don't have to be offended that you don't fit in everywhere.

I think it's quite different as BBW is more like a fetish. I'm sure they allow "fat" men to participate in this.

so why is someone liking BBW a fetish?? people who like larger bodies are now akin to perverts or sexual freaks? :noway:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I agree that its offensive & insulting while at the same time its very shallow & immature that people would just basing their date on their size. I've had those bad experiences in the past when I was still big & believe me it destroyed my self-esteem & my whole being. I know we have different preferences but you don't have to ban the entire population just because you're not attracted to them. You can instead tell them that "I think you look fine but you're just not my type" .

People need to be more tactful when addressing somebody that they don't like.

so those people should pay $40 to get in and then be told sorry but you're not my type?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Who is to judge who is fat? Am I considered fat?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to a dating event anyway, but if I wanted to I probably would find it offensive honestly. I mean, what if it were an event saying that certain races aren't allowed to attend? People are shallow and put way too much emphasis on looking perfect. Just because someone is slim doesn't mean they are necessarily good personality-wise and I think people would be missing out on the opportunity to see that sterotypes can be wrong.

And by the way, the comment about being overweight is a choice- that's not always true. There are different medical conditions and factors that can contribute to a person's overall weight and for some people it's next to impossible to become "skinny" by most people's standards. Some of the kindest most respectable people I know have been plus sized.
    Options
    so those people should pay $40 to get in and then be told sorry but you're not my type?

Personally I wouldn't mind if I pay $40 & be told that I don't fit on their ideal type of woman because there will be always people out there who will prefer bigger girls over the thinner ones. However to say things like "I don't like you because you are fat" in someone's face is really offensive & may cause major downfall to someone's self-esteem.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    M'eh, it's no different than having a speed dating event for BBW and the men who love them. And they do exist. You don't have to be offended that you don't fit in everywhere.

I think it's quite different as BBW is more like a fetish. I'm sure they allow "fat" men to participate in this.

so why is someone liking BBW a fetish?? people who like larger bodies are now akin to perverts or sexual freaks? :noway:

Oh man! I can explain this one! I got the explanation after wondering how a person can be a fetish when the word implies inanimate objects. Anyways, if a man is sexually attracted to you and you are a bbw, that's not the fetish. BUT, if the man is sexually attracted to you because of the fat that makes you a bbw, that's when it becomes a fetish. Same thing for ethnicity fetishes, or milf things. It's about the person being sexually obsessed with that one -thing-, not the person, that makes it a fetish.

A man who likes it when women wear pantyhose is just a man who likes the look of pantyhose. A man who goes buck wild at the PANTYHOSE is the fetishist.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I think you're confused about the word "fetish". There is nothing perverted or freaky about it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Well if you are attracted to bigger people and/or doesn't think it makes a difference, it's pretty simple. Don't go to that particular dating event. Between online and in person, there are tons of ways to meet someone. Why would someone get offended by ONE event organized that either doesn't include them because they are overweight, or won't have anyone there that they would be interested in?

I don't see how this is any different than a singles mixers organized at a church. Clearly everyone there will be people involved in the church and have religious beliefs so if you yourself are not religious or you do not want to date someone who is, you probably shouldn't go to this event.
    That would only be a good analogy if the church mixer actually banned Muslims, Jews, Baptists, etc. If someone showed up to a church mixer and brought their friend Mohammed Goldweitz do you think the church would turn him away?

I would ban Mohammed Goldweitz. He is so rude!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I forgot to add my opinion.

I find it "offensive", but I don't think it's wrong. It is dumb, crass, and they may as well ban races, religions, heights, acne, and people who like jeggings and crocs. If I were thin (Which I'm not) I still wouldn't go to it, because it announced to the world that it's a tacky event.

I don't find anything wrong with the concept of people not being attracted to my sexy fat body, though. It's mostly just, "Really? Did they have to make that specification?" kind of offended.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No one can do anything without offending someone.

People who wear crocs offend me. :p
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I can't relate to someone who is obese on this one, but I don't think one should be too offended by it. By having dating events that are meant for specific groups of people (wealth-oriented, race-oriented, weight-oriented, gay, extroverts, etc) it will make finding a match easier than to have to filter out all the people who clearly don't meet your personal preferences. As someone who is shy, I would not at all be offended if a dating event required people to be outgoing. I would simply not attend because I wouldn't really fit in with the crowd.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    #1. Who cares?

#2. Why are you getting offended? Nothing better to do?

#3. Let the shallow people mingle with each other so they don't mingle with the rest.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    heck yeah I'd be offended.
    1)it is very rude.
    2)it is discrimination, look it up, the full legal definition!
    3)sometimes, obesity is NOT a personal option. there are many people who are over weight because of a medical issue:Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, and other diseases and conditions. that is not a life style choice.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    <
    I'm not worried! I found this wonder medicine that made me super skinny and alert! I can go to this event now.
    Options
    #3. Let the shallow people mingle with each other so they don't mingle with the rest.

Love this!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    heck yeah I'd be offended.
    1)it is very rude.
    2)it is discrimination, look it up, the full legal definition!
    3)sometimes, obesity is NOT a personal option. there are many people who are over weight because of a medical issue:Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, and other diseases and conditions. that is not a life style choice.

Well discrimination isn't always wrong or illegal. Otherwise every women's group, boy scouts, girl scouts, etc. should all disband.

And do you think the reason somebody is obese has much bearing on how dateable they are going to be to others? I don't think when someone meets a potential date they are thinking, oh she eats too much or oh she has PCOS so its ok...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have red hair. I was born this way, but it is a choice not to change it, I guess, despite the fact that some people don't like gingers. If I were going to a speed dating event where people didn't like gingers, I would prefer that be openly stated ahead of time, so I don't go there and feel rejected without knowing why.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    In what universe is a size 10 considered fat? It's regular sized, not even plus sized...
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's offensive.

Being overweight is a choice.

I don't respect people aren't taking care of their bodies, this includes by doing drugs or staying overweight or anything that is destructive, and I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who is.

Being overweight is a choice??? Really??? Wow. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I guess you have solved the World's obesity epidemic. Gasp.:mad: