dating event bans fat people

Options

Replies

• tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's discrimination regardless of whether it's offensive.

White is the beauty standard in this country so should it be ok to tell black people, Latinos, Asians, or other ethnicity groups that they can not participate?
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    well, I think maybe its all in how its worded. there are sites out there, and dating groups, specifically geared towards "chub chasers" ( I think I saw something on true life...that documentary show or whatever...) those places arent going to gaze...nicely....when a 5'9 girl size 6 like me walks in...when its specifically for the big and beautiful.

But to have strictly an open dating, when its not for a specific genre and not letting a certain size in....I cant wrap my head around that.....
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

White is the beauty standard in this country so should it be ok to tell black people, Latinos, Asians, or other ethnicity groups that they can not participate?

White is the beauty standard in vast majority of countries around the world, not just there in US. Which is why skin bleaching products are very popular especially in Asia, Africa & in some Latin American countries.Yes I do agree that its discrimination regardless of whether its intended for chubby chasers or slim-only people event. People of every color, weight, height & looks are all beautiful & should be treated equally.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

and yet there are MANY dating sites exclusively for blacks/latinos/asians. Nobody seems to mind those????

From what I understand, those dating sites are open to everyone regardless of ethnicity. The reason why its called as Black/Asian/Latino/Russian etc. dating site is because it features Blacks/Latinos/Asians/Russians etc. who are looking for a potential partner whether within or outside their ethnicity.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Dammit, I forgot to add my opinion.

I find it "offensive", but I don't think it's wrong. It is dumb, crass, and they may as well ban races, religions, heights, acne, and people who like jeggings and crocs. If I were thin (Which I'm not) I still wouldn't go to it, because it announced to the world that it's a tacky event.

I don't find anything wrong with the concept of people not being attracted to my sexy fat body, though. It's mostly just, "Really? Did they have to make that specification?" kind of offended.

I think I like this reply the best.

Also, they're basically weeding out the 'unattractive' (since overweight people are generally perceived as such), but there are plenty of normal weight people who aren't very attractive, so if they're going to ban fat people, they may as well have a bouncer at the door picking who is 'pretty' enough to get in...
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

and yet there are MANY dating sites exclusively for blacks/latinos/asians. Nobody seems to mind those????

If it bothers you, get a lawyer. The fact that one group discriminates does not make it ok for another group to do so as well. That's like the kid who gets caught talking in class saying, "But, but, but he was talking FIRST."

Also, if you identify as a BBW, you can go. I'm pretty sure they don't have a scale at the door.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It's very offensive, how could it not be? It's rude and tacky.

When I used to use okcupid.com, I could set my options so that it wouldn't even show those outside of my personalized specifications. To me, this is kind of like that, just in "real life".

People who don't like it don't have to go.

^^This

If you don't like it don't go. If I'm offended by the values of the Catholic Church I don't have to be all up in arms about it, I just won't go.

Who cares if one even says "no fatties allowed"? Not everyone or event has to be politically correct, the world would be damn dull if it were.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's called niche marketing.... nothing wrong with it. Would you want to go on a date with someone that's not "your type"?
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's offensive.

Being overweight is a choice.

I don't respect people aren't taking care of their bodies, this includes by doing drugs or staying overweight or anything that is destructive, and I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who is.
    While people have a "type" there is no standard to where those limits are crossed or not crossed. Should we add Ugly vs. Attractive to the list??? Who is the judge of that? I find your comment quite offensive.
  • Sourpusscandy
    Options
    pretty much! ha ha
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I don't respect people aren't taking care of their bodies, this includes by doing drugs or staying overweight or anything that is destructive, and I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who is.

Being overweight is a choice? Give me a break. There are those that have medical reasons as to why they are overweight.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't find it offensive, but I wouldn't go for fear of being turned away. I mean fat is so subjective, and while I don't think many people would consider me fat anymore, I don't handle rejection well... Lol
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Being overweight is a choice? Give me a break. There are those that have medical reasons as to why they are overweight.

For every example you can find, I could find a person who has managed to overcome that. It's kind of like saying that anorexia is a choice. It's a disease, but one that you can and should get help to overcome to be healthy. That said, I wouldn't say that every overweight person isn't taking care of themselves. They could be recovering from something, a work in progress, or just like that figure and eat healthy/exercise to maintain it. I've known plenty of overweight but active and healthy people. They just didn't choose to restrict calories, and as long as they are active and not putting themselves at risk for anything, I still consider them healthy
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I would much prefer to date a heavy but intelligent man than an idiot. Being stupid is a choice. I don't respect people who aren't taking care of their minds. This includes those who are uneducated, think their opinion is fact for all, cannot form a proper sentence, or any other obvious lack of intellect. I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who cannot hold an intelligent conversation.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I would much prefer to date a heavy but intelligent man than an idiot. Being stupid is a choice. I don't respect people who aren't taking care of their minds. This includes those who are uneducated, think their opinion is fact for all, cannot form a proper sentence, or any other obvious lack of intellect. I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who cannot hold an intelligent conversation.

THIS!!
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm not offended by it, but I think it's stupid! Try and tell me that just because you're skinny, you're attractive! WRONG! There are tons of skinny people that are ugly, so good luck with that one! HAHAHA It's called getting to know someone! You could talk to someone that you might not find attractive at the first glance and once you get to know them they are attractive to you! Not everyone can date Brad Pitt! LOL :smooched: