Options

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm 42 and hate to be called ma'am! I also hated it when I was 35! LOL
  • Sbernardo7711
    Options
    I grew up in the North and no one up there says Ma'am, but now i live in the south and everyone says it. I'm still trying to get use to it but when someone calls me Ma'am I respond by saying you don't have to call me that... LOL
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :wink:
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

Not at all, of course, I'm a native Texan, so it's etched in our genes... If we didn't say yes ma'am or no ma'am, we got in trouble...
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I used to cringe at being called Ma'am, but it is a sign of respect and to be honest I wish more kids today knew what respect was. I get tired of listening to these ignorant lil rats (got to love the parents for teaching their kids "right") calling me "lady" or "old broad" or some of the other less kind words. All I know is if I said any of those things, I would be slapped upside the head.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would be offended if I WASN'T addressed as Ma'am! I am 26 and have been called ma'am since I was a small child and have not once been offended by it. Unless someone addressed me as "Hey Grandma", I would not feel old.. I would feel 26!

Disclaimer- I live in Texas and we learn as soon as we start talking to say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir and no sir.(and please and thank you.. often accompanied by ma'am/sir.) We call it " having manners."

^^^^This!!!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Not at all, of course, I'm a native Texan, so it's etched in our genes... If we didn't say yes ma'am or no ma'am, we got in trouble...

I'm from Alabama. It's etched in genes here as well... I just never went along with it. As a child, I thought it sounded ludicrous and just refused to say it. My mom didn't push me to say it either.

I've never enjoyed saying it and don't enjoy hearing it. It's antiquated in my mind. Yes, it's "polite" and "manners" but I've never been one to follow traditions & rules blindly. Sue me.
  • pangsofbeauty
    Options
    well let's look at pure logic
    the REASON people call you sir or ma'am
    is because they were taught it's respectful

are they psychic and know you dislike it? no
    so unless you've expressed your dislike to this person
    being offended is a little over the top
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things our 20's may be still younger, but we are no longer children or teenagers, and therefore should not be called "miss". I prefer ma'am and Ms.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I call everyone "Sir" "Ma'am" accordingly. I always have an issue when people say "don't call me Ma'am I am NOT old." Of course I respect their wishes, but I was raised to be polite, and being from the south that is how we say it. If you know them on the first name basis but they are obviously older than you then I call them Mr. first name, or Mrs/Ms. First name.

It makes me feel like I am wrong for respecting someone by calling them sir/ma'am and they just take offense. that is just me though.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I expect to be "Ma'am"-ed every where I go around here. It's just going to happen. I don't get offended by it.

Just don't expect me to Ma'am you back, that is all. I don't play into it.
  • pangsofbeauty
    Options
    "Ma'am" has nothing to do with age, except it's really not used for children. Why would it make you feel old for people to be polite to you? That doesn't make any sense.

I believe it does have something to do with age. Ma'am is equivalent to Madame, which I think would at least mean you're old enough to be married. Miss is equivalent to mademoiselle...a younger, unmarried woman, my interpretation anyway. However, I'm not offended by ma'am because I know it is said out of respect. Anyway, I'm way too old to be called miss. I think that would offend me.
    It does not have anything to do with age! It is simply a term of respect.

it's true. it has nothing to do with age
    i say sir and ma'am to little kids
    as do a lot of my family members
    (who grew up in different parts of the country)

people's belief in miss, ms., and ma'am being disrepectful or unapplicable to them
    is simply that- a belief, a personal idea sculpted out of exposure to varying social rhetoric
    one person believes 28 is too old for miss
    another person believes 35 is too young for ma'am
    it hardly seems reasonable to get upset or offended over someone's idea of a polite term in relation to age
    when in fact almost all of the people on this topic who claim to use sir and ma'am
    are saying it doesn't refer to age at all but is simply a respectful term
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think it's a turn-on LOL
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    HEY - i am middle aged...38 and I still hate it - but I'm used to it because I work in Law enforcement. P.S. you are only as old as you act...
  • JennieAL
    Options
    I think it's a turn-on LOL

It's definitely a turn-on when my husband says it! :)
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I love it! (I'm 29) It's so polite. I especially love it when southern gentlemen do it!
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It never bothered me, even when I was young.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a Marine. When he got back from basic he started calling me ma'am. I was like wow buddy I am your best friend and not an old lady.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I even say ma'am to little girls. Get over the old lady hangup already.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes Ma'am, I HATE to be called ma'am... LOL>>> Just kidding. (well, I don't like to be called ma'am.. but can't say it happens a lot....
  • MichaeltheMarine
    MichaeltheMarine Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    As a Former Marine and former Southerner, using "ma'am" is a sign of respect.