Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We are teaching my son to say "sir" and "ma'am" to everyone. It's just respectful, so children saying it to me doesn't bother me. It also doesn't bother me if its a sales person or a waiter.

However, My husband and I got a much needed date night a few months ago and went to dinner and then to a movie. I was dressed up cute, probably had a glass of wine with dinner.. feeling like when back when we were dating.... then a teenage boy approached me and called me about saving some seats or something and was all about the yes ma'am and no ma'am... and all I could think was "I'm only 10 years older than you, you should not call me ma'am"

Took the wind right outta my sails.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

I dont like it when strangers call me honey or sweetie either. I am not your honey or sweetie!!!!! I dont really like ma'am either, it makes me feel old!! I am 35. I prefer Ms. :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    We are teaching my son to say "sir" and "ma'am" to everyone. It's just respectful, so children saying it to me doesn't bother me. It also doesn't bother me if its a sales person or a waiter.

However, My husband and I got a much needed date night a few months ago and went to dinner and then to a movie. I was dressed up cute, probably had a glass of wine with dinner.. feeling like when back when we were dating.... then a teenage boy approached me and called me about saving some seats or something and was all about the yes ma'am and no ma'am... and all I could think was "I'm only 10 years older than you, you should not call me ma'am"

And what would you have rather he called you? Regardless of age, it's respect. Respect for a female.

I've said Ma'am to a 19 y/o (I'm 28) and a 50 y/o, or a 25 y/o.

Respect knows no age.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

I dont like it when strangers call me honey or sweetie either. I am not your honey or sweetie!!!!! I dont really like ma'am either, it makes me feel old!! I am 35. I prefer Ms. :)

I called someone Ms once, she corrected me and told me she was a Mrs. It's been ma'am ever since.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As a soldier who is training to become an officer (where we ARE called ma'am) I love being called ma'am. Sir and ma'am are a sign of respect.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like it but then again I also like it when a man opens the door for me and pulls out my chair. I have always taught my children to address grown up the same way.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    You know, for me, I think its a sign of a good upbringing. Too many kids these days don't give enough respect to adults. I guess feeling a little shocked and old is an okay price to pay for good kids :) My husband calls his grandfather Sir. I think its so nice. lol :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It shows respect, and I've never had a problem with that! I'd love to see more respect from young people. Besides teaching respect, I wish more parents would teach their children to look people in the eye and give a firm handshake. A limp handshake from a woman is bad enough, but a limp handshake from a teenage or adult male makes me want to puke.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

And what would you have rather he called you? Regardless of age, it's respect. Respect for a female.

I've said Ma'am to a 19 y/o (I'm 28) and a 50 y/o, or a 25 y/o.

Respect knows no age.

No, I wasn't saying he shouldn't.. I would hope my son would do the same thing, as he was a very polite young man. If you didn't see the part where we teach our son to always say both sir and ma'am.

I say ma'am as well to adults or to little girls.. it was all in the way he said it.. kind of like he was speaking to his teacher, or a parent.

There's nothing wrong with what he said...
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was raised primarily in the south and I spent several years training in the martial arts. Besides the fact that I am a Navy Brat and my daddy was an officer for many years. Sir and ma'am are used to show respect. I have called people much younger than myself, sir or ma'am. I am not offended at all by it.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ah, I like it.. It’s kind of sexy if it comes from a guy with a southern accent or wearing a military uniform!! :flowerforyou:

This - TOTALLY this!!! I visit the recruiters often for my job, and my husband was in the Army, it always gives me a little thrill to hear it from the guys. ; )
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

I feel the same way!
  • retriev00
    retriev00 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't like being called Sir.

I absolutely Detest it when someone call me 'boss'
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

I suggest then stay away from soldiers lol. We can't help it :)
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, too funny. I just got back from the grocery store and the cashier and bagger called me ma'am so many times, I am pretty sure it was a record for me. And I hate it, you should have to look over 60 or something to get called that. I prefer miss.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "I'm only 10 years older than you, you should not call me ma'am"

I'm well over 40 years old, and any adult female is "ma'am", even if I'm older than you. I don't care if you are 18 or 108, you've earned the adult title and, out of respect, it will be offered to you unless we are on a first-name basis or we interact regularly and I know what you preferred form of address is.

If and when I reach the ripe old age of 100, I hope never to be caught disrespecting an adult woman by calling her "miss" or "girl". That's for youngsters.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I AM A MA'AM!!!!!!

I hate being called "Miss" makes me feel like I'm 7 years old and being humored...

Ma'am, I feel, is more respectful
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    from young guys its sweet, you realize they have no idea what to call you. From women it feels passive aggressive.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Doesn't bother me in the least, especially when done with an accent :wink:
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I realized this a long time ago, but at work what's the best thing to say then? Just nothing? I feel like I'm being disrespectful if I don't address you as SOMETHING... and sometimes dude just doesn't cut it.
    May I suggest "homeslice".

Hahaha! Haven't heard that in a little while :)