Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• katscott52
    katscott52 Posts: 1
    Options
    The first time I was ever called "ma'am" I was 28 and I felt the same way. But what's worse is now that I'm almost 60 I have people calling me "miss", "honey", "sweetie", etc. Can you imagine being called "miss" by a guy who could be my grandson? That's offensive!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nah, I am from the South, so it is pretty common to call anyone even slightly older than you ma'am or sir. As long as I don't get called sir, I am happy :)
  • blissfuljensen
    blissfuljensen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ma'am is not a sign of age but of respect. I'd rather be called Ma'am then other terms people commonly use.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

You beat me to it :)

I'm the same way! I don't really mind ma'am usually, but 'hun' is so condescending. I think it's because I've heard it from so many teenage girls, and it's like they say it to piss you off. Lol.

I cringe when I'm talking to an older man or woman and they repeatedly call me "Hun", "honey", or "sweetie". I understand that they are trying to be nice, friendly, comforting, etc, but the only person who can call me any sort of pet name should be a close relative or significant other, not the cashier at a gas station. UGH.

P.S. I am from New York city though, so I know we don't like the super friendly stranger concept, lol.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the south and I remember my mom loathing the term "ma'am." She would never let any of my friends call her "ma'am" or even "Ms. [Last Name]." She just wanted to be called by her first name. I think it sort of became a funny thing to me because now I jokingly refer to my dog as "ma'am." Hehe.
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    for the anti-ma'amers, doesn't "yes, miss" or "yes, mister" sound ... weird?

that does...but why does it have to be "yes ____" ? I personally would prefer "have a good day miss" to "have a good day, ma'am".... but I'm not saying I'm offended by Ma'am, it isn't my fave...

I do think it's interesting how defensive people get about it- hearing that certain people aren't a fan. I'm not saying it's wrong or being disrespectful to your southern culture or whatever...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    my ma'ams typically follow either a 'yes' or a 'no.'
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You are female. It is a sign of respect. be happy it's not something else.

yes when I was a kid it bugged me my have being a (tom boy and all) but once I grew up I realize it was a sign of respect and as a lady I DO LIKE TO BE RESPECTED :wink:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The first time I was ever called "ma'am" I was 28 and I felt the same way. But what's worse is now that I'm almost 60 I have people calling me "miss", "honey", "sweetie", etc. Can you imagine being called "miss" by a guy who could be my grandson? That's offensive!!

I agree completely.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm 22 and get called Ma'am...
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "Ma'am" has nothing to do with age, except it's really not used for children. Why would it make you feel old for people to be polite to you? That doesn't make any sense.

I believe it does have something to do with age. Ma'am is equivalent to Madame, which I think would at least mean you're old enough to be married. Miss is equivalent to mademoiselle...a younger, unmarried woman, my interpretation anyway. However, I'm not offended by ma'am because I know it is said out of respect. Anyway, I'm way too old to be called miss. I think that would offend me.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm 23 and I appreciate it. I was raised to call everyone "ma'am" and "sir". Well, anyone who is older than me or in a position of service or help to me (waitresses, bank tellers, cashiers) even if they're younger than me. It's a sign of respect for those around you as well as a show of appreciation for their help. I get told all the time not to call them that, but it's definitely a habit I want to keep!
  • pamiam1960
    pamiam1960 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 51 and I usually hate it too, it makes me feel old! But in some instances its ok, like you said, its meant to be a sign of respect.:smile:
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options
    I hate being called ma'am...
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ma'am doesn't bother me... its 'hun' I can't stand... especially from like a 16 yr old cashier

I get cashiers doing that to my dad!! I just look at them like wtf? My dad hates it, he thinks it's stupid for a teenager to be calling him hun or darl
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I call women who are older than i am, ma'am and gentlemen older than me sir. Just a form of respect. I was raised right :smile:
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know over here in California HATES it! Since it always bothered my mom, I made it a point to notice when people first started calling me ma'am....I was 19, certainly not old. I just remember that I was called ma'am when I was 19, so it's not because they think I look old......
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I don't mind as being in customer service for a decade I call every stranger ma'am or sir out of habit, even people who I believe may be younger than me. However, like others have pointed out, I HATE being called "miss". If it was "Miss" followed by my name, that's fine, but just "miss" irks me to no end.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily like being called "ma'am", but usually its some 16 or 17 year old kid at the grocery store that says it to me so I don't take it too personally.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

Ma'am.

It's a sign of respect, don't take it for anything it's not. You won't have problems with it then.