Meat eating vs. Vegan debate

Options

Replies

• hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I do want to know if any of the vegans or vegetarians on here miss eating meat. I live in NJ and miss Taylor Ham. That is really the only thing I miss, small sacrifice I guess.

Not a bit, but I haven't eaten meat since 1979. I am extremely healthy - did a 43 mile bike ride the other weekend. Work out about 5 times a week at the gym. Have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate. I have two teenage kids (whoops -one just turned 20.) I am 69 years old. I watch the meat eaters I know who are much younger than me developing their chronic illnesses and becoming more and more incapacitated. I wonder why everyone just doesn't get it.

What made you decide to give up on meat?
    And again, i'm unsure whether we can really say it's meat that's the health issue here or all the other s*it that people eat daily. I just feel that if meat really was causing all these problems then dieticians and doctors would blo*dy well make a point of making it common knowledge. The whole thing is still very 'underground' in terms of publicity.

True My husband is a meatosaurus and he is in incredible shape. He does biking too (and running, and swimming, kayaking, climbing, will someone please tell thisman to come inside). His vitals are awsome, we just had a big work up done on him because he turned 35 and wanted to make sure he really was in good health. He is in waaay better shape than I am and I don't eat meat. I agree that more studies regarding health and longevity need to be completed before we can say - yes eat meat, or no don't eat it.

Please give me a break. When you're 35 it's easy to be in great shape. The trick is being in good shape at twice that age. I ate meat at 35 too. I ran marathons. I invented the beer and ice cream diet. I weighed 155 lbs ( I am about 185 now and very muscular - some of it's not muscle. however.) Anyway, a combinaton of diet and exercise is hard to beat. Bytheway, I also work full time and have no intention of ever retiring.

Sorry if you were offended. You are the one who talked about the meat eaters who are much younger than you being unhealthy, not me. I was just pointing out that there are much younger meat eaters that are totally healthy.
  • hallie_b
    Options

My diet does need some massive changes - mostly due to intolerances and things that give me problems like oats and bread and cheese. If I don't become vegetarian, and providing intolerances don't render me almost foodless, I may consider eating less meat than I do at least. It's always worth attempting to maximise your health.

Celiacs and lactose intolerances are quite common together. also wheat alleries and lactose intolerance are common. (Celiacs is not the same as a wheat allergy
    Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects at least 1 in 133 Americans.

Forgive my ignorance, what is 'celiacs' exactly? I've heard of it and am / have been too lazy to look it up.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

My diet does need some massive changes - mostly due to intolerances and things that give me problems like oats and bread and cheese. If I don't become vegetarian, and providing intolerances don't render me almost foodless, I may consider eating less meat than I do at least. It's always worth attempting to maximise your health.

Celiacs and lactose intolerances are quite common together. also wheat alleries and lactose intolerance are common. (Celiacs is not the same as a wheat allergy

There are whole cookbooks devoted to gluten-free vegan cuisine. So, I know there's support for people with food sensitivities who want to eat plant-based. I think if you are rethinking your diet entirely, looking for some meatless recipes that appeal to you while you come up with a good rotation of recipes that work for you, makes good sense.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects at least 1 in 133 Americans.

Forgive my ignorance, what is 'celiacs' exactly? I've heard of it and am / have been too lazy to look it up.

I'm hoping it's not celiacs disease. I still have other tests to do first anyway. And besides, a LOT of things only give me problems when i'm stressed, like now with exams.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    One question I have for vegetarians/vegans: Do you eat meat *flavored* stuff? If you found something that was absolutely vegan but tasted like a really yummy steak (assuming taste is NOT why you chose veganism/vegetarianism), would you be okay with that?

Odd question, but inquiring minds and all that...

I don't because those products are full of processed junk/soy. Sometimes I miss the convenience of going to a restaurant and just ordering a happy hour $2 carbon chicken taco but I'm pretty sure that was factory farm mutant birds and I shouldn't have been eating it anyways. Most places will happily bring me black bean, salsa, avocado taco just fine (hopefully sans spit for the special request!) I do miss the taste of organic mozzy cheese sometimes but my waistline doesn't. Finding delicious recipes helps a lot (like black bean, spinach, mushroom enchilada in sprouted corn organic tortilla with green sauce and topped with an avocado cilantro sauce...how can you miss cheese then?! LOL)
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

There are whole cookbooks devoted to gluten-free vegan cuisine. So, I know there's support for people with food sensitivities who want to eat plant-based. I think if you are rethinking your diet entirely, looking for some meatless recipes that appeal to you while you come up with a good rotation of recipes that work for you, makes good sense.

I know that too much dairy has been a general problem for me for a while. I feel sick if I eat too much cheese or sometimes when I have milk. But then things like actimel I find beneficial to my tummy. I feel good after having them. I'm aware of special sections of the supermarkets that cater for those with intolerances or allergies. But it's hard finding something non-wheat, non-gluten, non-dairy, non-sugar...
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I do want to know if any of the vegans or vegetarians on here miss eating meat. I live in NJ and miss Taylor Ham. That is really the only thing I miss, small sacrifice I guess.

Not a bit, but I haven't eaten meat since 1979. I am extremely healthy - did a 43 mile bike ride the other weekend. Work out about 5 times a week at the gym. Have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate. I have two teenage kids (whoops -one just turned 20.) I am 69 years old. I watch the meat eaters I know who are much younger than me developing their chronic illnesses and becoming more and more incapacitated. I wonder why everyone just doesn't get it.

And again, i'm unsure whether we can really say it's meat that's the health issue here or all the other s*it that people eat daily. I just feel that if meat really was causing all these problems then dieticians and doctors would blo*dy well make a point of making it common knowledge. The whole thing is still very 'underground' in terms of publicity.

True My husband is a meatosaurus and he is in incredible shape. He does biking too (and running, and swimming, kayaking, climbing, will someone please tell thisman to come inside). His vitals are awsome, we just had a big work up done on him because he turned 35 and wanted to make sure he really was in good health. He is in waaay better shape than I am and I don't eat meat. I agree that more studies regarding health and longevity need to be completed before we can say - yes eat meat, or no don't eat it.

Please give me a break. When you're 35 it's easy to be in great shape. The trick is being in good shape at twice that age. I ate meat at 35 too. I ran marathons. I invented the beer and ice cream diet. I weighed 155 lbs ( I am about 185 now and very muscular - some of it's not muscle. however.) Anyway, a combinaton of diet and exercise is hard to beat. Bytheway, I also work full time and have no intention of ever retiring.

Sorry if you were offended. You are the one who talked about the meat eaters who are much younger than you being unhealthy, not me. I was just pointing out that there are much younger meat eaters that are totally healthy.

Please, I am not offended. It takes much more than anything you said to offend me. I am not even sure it's possible to offend me. Honestly, and I am NOT referring to you here, I read so many stupid comments on many message boards, that I have become immune to anything anyone says, even when it is offensive, which your comments were not. My point is that in general, 35 year olds today look a lot different from when I was 35. Many are out of shape. Many are diabetic. Many have a lifestyle that a sloth would envy. Many of these will never be as old as I am now.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I know many other much younger than me who have cancer. All meat eaters. Vegetarians so rarely get colon and other cancers that you can almost say they are immune.

People cannot come to terms that what they were brought up eating is killing them. So they resist. As I said in a previous thread, there are literally thousands of studies showing that eating meat can cause chronic illness. There is not one single study that shows that eating vegetables can cause chronic illness. Nonetheless, people say the dumbest things. I guess it is the bell shaped curve in action.

I wish that being vegetarian stopped my mother from getting the terminal cancer that killed her at 43.
  • hallie_b
    Options

Please, I am not offended. It takes much more than anything you said to offend me. I am not even sure it's possible to offend me. Honestly, and I am NOT referring to you here, I read so many stupid comments on many message boards, that I have become immune to anything anyone says, even when it is offensive, which your comments were not. My point is that in general, 35 year olds today look a lot different from when I was 35. Many are out of shape. Many are diabetic. Many have a lifestyle that a sloth would envy. Many of these will never be as old as I am now.
    Probably true, not sure if is because of meat or not but I just watched "Weight of the Nation" and all I can say is WOW.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I know many other much younger than me who have cancer. All meat eaters. Vegetarians so rarely get colon and other cancers that you can almost say they are immune.

People cannot come to terms that what they were brought up eating is killing them. So they resist. As I said in a previous thread, there are literally thousands of studies showing that eating meat can cause chronic illness. There is not one single study that shows that eating vegetables can cause chronic illness. Nonetheless, people say the dumbest things. I guess it is the bell shaped curve in action.

I wish that being vegetarian stopped my mother from getting the terminal cancer that killed her at 43.

Did she become a vegetarian AFTER she got cancer?
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

And many of those probably didn't gorge on the horrendous amounts of processed crap (definitely not just meat here) that takes up about 75% of supermarkets.
    Can I ask, do you eat absolutely clean or do you eat some of the processed rubbish that most of us do too?
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Ethics. I realized what a hypocrite I was saying I like animals and then eating them.

I believe diet is the issue in 99% of illnesses. I know one woman, for example 10 years younger than me who has mercury poisoning. Yet she loves fish. It's killing her but she loves it. Go figure.

The ignorance is due to it not being public knowledge. If you decide to become a vegan or veggie (for whatever reason) you're more likely to look up the health benefits of not eating meat than someone like me who, until I came across a few vegans a few days ago didn't even THINK about it.
    This is exactly the area I am most interested in - whether there are any REAL benefits to eating meat that you can't get from other sources or whether we are literally just eating it because we always have and just have a taste for rich foods. Meat was a huge benefit back in the pleistocene, when it wasn't so easy to get but now it's in abundance we're definitely over-doing it.

From the American Society of Nutrition (2009)

Background: Few prospective studies have examined cancer incidence among vegetarians.

Objective: We report cancer incidence among vegetarians and nonvegetarians in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition–Oxford (EPIC-Oxford) study.

Design: This was a prospective study of 63,550 men and women recruited throughout the United Kingdom in the 1990s. Cancer incidence was followed through nationwide cancer registries.

Results: The standardized incidence ratio for all malignant neoplasms for all participants was 72% (95% CI: 69%, 75%). The standardized incidence ratios for colorectal cancer were 84% (95% CI: 73%, 95%) among nonvegetarians and 102% (95% CI: 80%, 129%) among vegetarians. In a comparison of vegetarians with meat eaters and after adjustment for age, sex, and smoking, the incidence rate ratio for all malignant neoplasms was 0.89 (95% CI: 0.80, 1.00). The incidence rate ratio for colorectal cancer in vegetarians compared with meat eaters was 1.39 (95% CI: 1.01, 1.91).

Conclusions: The overall cancer incidence rates of both the vegetarians and the nonvegetarians in this study are low compared with national rates. Within the study, the incidence of all cancers combined was lower among vegetarians than among meat eaters, but the incidence of colorectal cancer was higher in vegetarians than in meat eaters.

I was interested to read the statement re: colorectal cancers not occurring in vegetarians. A quick Google search found this study. Like you say, some people say the dumbest things. Guess it's that darned bell curve.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options

Did she become a vegetarian AFTER she got cancer?

no
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    edit for double post
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

And many of those probably didn't gorge on the horrendous amounts of processed crap (definitely not just meat here) that takes up about 75% of supermarkets.
    Can I ask, do you eat absolutely clean or do you eat some of the processed rubbish that most of us do too?

I don't know what you mean by "processed foods." I do eat Gardein seven Grain Crispy Tenders, various tofu concoctions, and veggie burgers. I also eat just plain veggies, Cheerios, sorbet , etc. Overall a good diet, I'd say.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

Ethics. I realized what a hypocrite I was saying I like animals and then eating them.

I believe diet is the issue in 99% of illnesses. I know one woman, for example 10 years younger than me who has mercury poisoning. Yet she loves fish. It's killing her but she loves it. Go figure.

The ignorance is due to it not being public knowledge. If you decide to become a vegan or veggie (for whatever reason) you're more likely to look up the health benefits of not eating meat than someone like me who, until I came across a few vegans a few days ago didn't even THINK about it.
    This is exactly the area I am most interested in - whether there are any REAL benefits to eating meat that you can't get from other sources or whether we are literally just eating it because we always have and just have a taste for rich foods. Meat was a huge benefit back in the pleistocene, when it wasn't so easy to get but now it's in abundance we're definitely over-doing it.

From the American Society of Nutrition (2009)

Background: Few prospective studies have examined cancer incidence among vegetarians.

Objective: We report cancer incidence among vegetarians and nonvegetarians in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition–Oxford (EPIC-Oxford) study.

Design: This was a prospective study of 63,550 men and women recruited throughout the United Kingdom in the 1990s. Cancer incidence was followed through nationwide cancer registries.

Results: The standardized incidence ratio for all malignant neoplasms for all participants was 72% (95% CI: 69%, 75%). The standardized incidence ratios for colorectal cancer were 84% (95% CI: 73%, 95%) among nonvegetarians and 102% (95% CI: 80%, 129%) among vegetarians. In a comparison of vegetarians with meat eaters and after adjustment for age, sex, and smoking, the incidence rate ratio for all malignant neoplasms was 0.89 (95% CI: 0.80, 1.00). The incidence rate ratio for colorectal cancer in vegetarians compared with meat eaters was 1.39 (95% CI: 1.01, 1.91).

Conclusions: The overall cancer incidence rates of both the vegetarians and the nonvegetarians in this study are low compared with national rates. Within the study, the incidence of all cancers combined was lower among vegetarians than among meat eaters, but the incidence of colorectal cancer was higher in vegetarians than in meat eaters.

I was interested to read the statement re: colorectal cancers not occurring in vegetarians. A quick Google search found this study.

Really? So colorectal cancer was found in this study to be higher in vegetarians? Interesting. Selecting samples is so difficult though, because you don't know their food history and what else they may be eating / not eating that may be causing these problems.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

I don't know what you mean by "processed foods." I do eat Gardein seven Grain Crispy Tenders, various tofu concoctions, and veggie burgers. I also eat just plain veggies, Cheerios, sorbet , etc. Overall a good diet, I'd say.

Apologies, I mean foods that contain a lot of chemicals and additives and god-knows-what's-really-in-them foods. This book I read 'Food Rules' talked about the amount of foods we have now that our grandparents wouldn't even recognise as food.
  • hallie_b
    Options
    Really? So colorectal cancer was found in this study to be higher in vegetarians? Interesting. Selecting samples is so difficult though, because you don't know their food history and what else they may be eating / not eating that may be causing these problems.

I know, sampling for something like this is tough. I'm sure there are counter studies. I always read through the sources of the study before I deem it totally accurate.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

I know, sampling for something like this is tough. I'm sure there are counter studies. I always read through the sources of the study before I deem it totally accurate.

You just cannot take stand-alone studies as complete proof. Especially large-scale studies like this. Although numbers do speak loudly when correlating, there's always going to be a skew in either direction, and you don't know what the real reasons are. Maybe veggies are more generally concerned with their health and they do other things to ensure their physical and mental wellbeing? Too many variables.
  • sunnyday789
    Options

N=63,000+ and they corrected for things like age, sex, and smoking. Pretty valid overall I'd say.
    The reason I posted this though was to refute the statement that vegetarians rarely got colorectal cancer, they were virtually immune.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/89/5/1620S.full