Meat eating vs. Vegan debate

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Your thread overflowed, so it automatically spun it off into a new thread and locked the old one.

:)
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Your thread overflowed, so it automatically spun it off into a new thread and locked the old one.

Haha! This feels like an achievement.

'You have unlocked the 'Locked' achievement!'
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

That's gold trophy if you play the ps3 version. Congratulations!
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Anyway, what I was going to ask before my topic got locked was 'What is the vegan stance on killing insects?' Either through phobia or pesticides and insecticides used on massive farms.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

I prefer Steam achievements! But i'll happily take that as my second choice.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

PC > Xbox 360 > Beubonic Plague > PS3
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    Anyway, what I was going to ask before my topic got locked was 'What is the vegan stance on killing insects?' Either through phobia or pesticides and insecticides used on massive farms.

I know people who get really upset if you squish a bug. Sometimes if a bug is on me I freak and squish, but I don't eat it afterwards.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I know people who get really upset if you squish a bug. Sometimes if a bug is on me I freak and squish, but I don't eat it afterwards.
    So wasteful, ugh. People like you are serial killers.

Or something.
  • susannamarie
    Options

Or something.

Better than being a cereal killer :D
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

PC > Xbox 360 > Beubonic Plague > PS3

:O You shock and appal me, sir.
    Actually, the PS3 does annoy me a hell of a lot. Ps1 and 2 was (in my opinion) the king's balls of consoles. PS3 would be perfect to me if it didn't stop me from playing old games on it. *mumbles grumpily*
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

Is that REALLY any different from shooting a deer in the head? I know, i'm being an *kitten*. But I feel it's a valid argument! However, this is directed more at the hardcore 'don't use any animal products or you're an evil, unfeeling individual' vegans. Had a rather funny image of someone squishing a bug on their arm and then curiously putting it in their mouth.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

Or something.

I was a cereal killer this morning. Felt good.
  • hallie_b
    Options

Or something.

I dressed like a cereal killer for Halloween one year... I don't recommend sticking Corn Pops to your cheek, they are hard to peel off.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I dressed like a cereal killer for Halloween one year... I don't recommend sticking Corn Pops to your cheek, they are hard to peel off.

Haha.

I tried dressing as a nerd, and nobody realized it was a costume :(
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

Haha.

I tried dressing as a nerd, and nobody realized it was a costume :(

Nerds win at life.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options

That offends me. I enjoy being a cereal killer. :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • hallie_b
    Options
    I do want to know if any of the vegans or vegetarians on here miss eating meat. I live in NJ and miss Taylor Ham. That is really the only thing I miss, small sacrifice I guess.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    I do want to know if any of the vegans or vegetarians on here miss eating meat. I live in NJ and miss Taylor Ham. That is really the only thing I miss, small sacrifice I guess.

Good question. Discuss.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    edited for excessive sarcasm :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Torture means to inflict severe phsyical or mental pain upon. That is the dictionary defintion. Shooting an animal, particularly if the shot does not immediately kill the animal fits the definition. I never saw a hunter who was sober enough to kill on the first shot.

Problem with absolutes is that it just takes one black swan......

Agreed.

To the antagonist - if you truly don't know hunters who are sober when they hunt, then you only know trophy and tourist hunters. Real hunters that hunt for food know better than to be an idiot and handle high powered firearms while under the influence. Additionally, most food hunters will at least try to hit an area where the animal will die swiftly, and if they encounter one that is wounded to the point the hunter can approach it, but hasn't died, they will kill it with a shot to head to end its suffering.

Not only that, but many (if not most) food hunters aren't barbarians. In fact, they often have a very deep respect for animals, because they know that the animals are sacrificing their lives so that the hunters may live (yes, there are still some areas and situations, even in America, where people do, in fact, have to hunt in order to keep from starving).

That said, everything that is living dies eventually. Some slowly, some swiftly. Death is a part of life, there are worse things than it (such as torture; and yes, I do believe that torture and death are two totally different things). Nearly every living thing on this planet has to deprive another of food or life in order to live (yes, even plants, as they steal the nutrients from other plants; and yes, even herbivores and those that only eat seeds, because they maim and/or kill that which they eat or deprive the seed from becoming a new plant.