Genetics-- is that why you're overweight?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Love all of the above!

I was blessed with the body type that my fat is evenly distributed, however OVER EATING caused me to gain weight. OVER EATING caused my family members to gain weight. They can use "genetics" all they want but that's BS and a crutch. It's because they don't know when to put the darn fork down

image005.jpg
    ^^^^ You're NOT BIG BONED, You're FAT

That x-ray picture stresses me out.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

This is just what we needed ... another excuse for people to stay unhealthy.

^^^^ Couldn't agree any more! If I were to continually blame genetic, I'd be HUGE, but I take responsibility for myself and my weight. I know, in what range I feel best and it isn't in the range my body would naturally have me settle at. It's all about personal responsibility.
    Genetics can play some role, but I think what and how much we eat plays a far greater role. But, to pull out the saying from a comic I saw the other day....

It is ironic that religiously zealous people will say homosexuality is a choice, but that obesity is genetic....

*runs from the flamethrowers*

This is literally the first thing that popped into my head when I read this post, but I bit my tongue for fear of the flamethrowers!

Love all of the above!

I was blessed with the body type that my fat is evenly distributed, however OVER EATING caused me to gain weight. OVER EATING caused my family members to gain weight. They can use "genetics" all they want but that's BS and a crutch. It's because they don't know when to put the darn fork down

image005.jpg
    ^^^^ You're NOT BIG BONED, You're FAT

Holy crap that image is scary.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Uh Oh...be prepared for the "OMG, HOW DARE YOU? I'M FAT BECAUSE I EAT, DON'T TRY BLAMING ANYTHING ELSE" train.

As for me, I think they do play a part. People in my family are large, we're very big boned and big people. Now the amount of food we all eat def. played a HUGE roll in why we are the size we are, but I've looked back and there are quite a few heavy people in the family.

As for me, I'm fat because I eat lol
    lol Me too. I am pretty sure all those cheese doodles and ice cream I ate in my teens had a lot to do with my weight gain. Not to mention I am the only fatty in my family.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think some people have a genetic predisposition towards disorders that *can* contribute to obesity. I think that genetics influences height and bone structure.

That being said, I think that as a society, we need to try our best to work past these genetic influences to maintain a healthy weight. That means blaming ourselves for what we choose to put in our mouths.
  • angienunez03
    angienunez03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe that! i know a few people that have tried to gain weight because they are super thin and they just can't. I also know some that even when they are in there normal weight they look over weight and just can't lose a whole lot of weight.

The Chiropractor I used to work for told me that abouth half of the worlds population is able to control their weight while 25% is just more disposed to be overweight and the other 25% will always be just thinner.

It is hard either way. You gotta work your butt off to stay or get in shape ( some have to work their butt off more than others) and some are just the lucky thin ones that want to gain weight.

We are just never happy?!!! And no one is perfect, you can just try to be healthy and happy...
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Genetics = a lot of bad habits passed down from generation to generation.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Genetics? NO
    Donuts..Chocolate and Pizza? YUBETCHA!!!
    :drinker:

I'd like to add soda and fast food :) LOL
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The finding that something has a heritable component, even a strong one, does not have to be an "excuse" for an individual. If I found out tomorrow that I was genetically predisposed to breast cancer I would quit my job, give up and life, and wait to die from a disease I don't yet have. Instead I would actively take measures to reduce my risk of cancer from other factors, and talk to my doctor about routine screening (which might involve screenings from a younger age, or more frequent screenings). Understanding how genetics plays a role in something doesn't mean we're helpless, but it may help scientists figure out how to help people maintain a healthy weight. At the same time, genetic predisposition does suggest that we need to acknowledge that some people will have a harder time maintaining their weight than others--personal respectability isn't the whole story, it rarely is, contrary to what so many Americans think.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how the genetics of the human race has changed over the last 20 years or so. Just look at the huge increase in obese children during that time period!! Genetics= and excuse to fail and be fat and lazy.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Yes, because mice living in a carefully controlled lab have bad habits that they learned from their mother, who also spent her entire life living in a carefully controlled environment.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    People are big in my family (except for my aunt, and one of my cousins). I mean they are over 300lbs. But, genetics don't make u shove bad food into your mouth. End of story. I wasn't so blessed as far as body (I have always been overweight, hell, when i went to college i was 214. Sadly its all around my tummy) but i'm working on improving health and changing a lifestyle. Now granted, i do have asthma related to genetics that will turn into copd, and will probably have heart attacks because of my genetics, but i am going to do what i can to be as healthy as possible.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

I was blessed with the body frame of the women on my dad's side: very proportionate, small framed women who gain weight extremely evenly. I can weigh 15lbs more than my sister (and she's 4 inches taller than I am) and appear to be the same clothing size.

The actual physical gaining of the weight, however, is due to what you're putting in your mouth and how much or how little you're moving around. Now, if your family has always had poor eating habits and you gained weight just like the rest of them (or they had healthy eating habits and you remained in good shape like the rest of them) then it's not just your genes, it's the poor (or great) eating habits you learned from your family.

^ Perfect example. Genetics determine many factors such as body size, frame, shape, where you put your pounds on and how quickly (metabolism). However diet and exercise determines how fat you are, frankly. Metabolism is the only genetic thing that can be even slightly affected by personal choice. So, if you're 5 foot even and pear shaped, don't expect to look like Paris Hilton if you diet and exercise for a year because it will never happen. Then again, if you are naturally big boned and have a harder time forming muscle than others, which are both genetic factors, you can still look like a damn fitness model if you put in the effort. No excuses! (Well, unless you have a health condition)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    yeah my dna is part of it, but just part
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options

Yes, because mice living in a carefully controlled lab have bad habits that they learned from their mother, who also spent her entire life living in a carefully controlled environment.

I agree, the genetics statement was just silly.
    Bad habits = bad habits.
    Genetics = genetics.
    They are not synonymous lol
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Obesity is 90% to blame on the person who is obese.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Watched Weight of the Nation on HBO last night. Had some interesting facts if you can make it past all the drama. According to the show, genetics are accountable for 60-70% of the factors that contribute to body weight.

Do you agree with this estimation? Do you think you were born to be a healthy weight, overweight, or obese? If not, what has led you to believe otherwise?

I didn't see the show, but I think it's been known for some time that genetics play a roll in weight control. But only in very rare and extreme cases does it control whether you can gain or lose. It simply makes it more or less difficult to varying degress.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think there is quite a lot of genetics. For example, women on my dad's side tend to be larger and "solid" many of them sticking around size 16-18 for most of their lives. On the same token, those same relatives are aging up to 90+. I have quite a few 100+ plus relatives on my dad's side.

On my mom's side, people were slimmer and gained as they aged. Many people also have bad habits (lifelong smokers or tobacco users). The life expectancy seems to have a greater range here. My grandmother passed away at 83.. she had 2 strokes, high blood pressure, and diabetes. My great aunt (her sister) has had less health problems and was always pretty thin. She is over 95, but I have no clue how old she is and no one else seems to know either. My great uncle is 90+ as well.

I think we try to blame a lot on weight, and we don't spend any time looking at food quality and lifestyle. There is no one to one ratio between weight and healthy habits. On my dad's side, people live in a really rural area. Everyone has a garden. The grocery store is pretty far. As a kid my dad had chickens. My mom also grew up in a rural area. As people got wealthier, they ate more processed foods, but growing up my mom's family had a garden, there was a dairy and wheat mill down the road, and her family raised pigs and cured their own meat. Only a few people drove, so people walked around the neighborhood to "visit," walked to church and walked to the corner store. I personally think these habits contributed more to longevity than any number on the scale does.

Genetics contribute to weight storage, body frame, and predisposition to diseases. Healthy habits are what keeps the chronic conditions away. Even if you never get to a "healthy" weight.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I disagree because it is still my actions that caused it. had I eaten right and gotten sufficient exercise genetically I would be built like a tank, a solid one though not the flabby one I am in the process of getting rid of.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm adopted, but I am still going to guess, no.
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No-one was born to be over-weight. It is the nature vs nurture - with nurture losing. Sorry - but that is the truth!