How would you feel if someone said this...

Options

Replies

• Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i would be like dude when i lose the rest of the weight there will be to many guys other than you saying DAMN!!!!! so thanks
  • Kath_21
    Kath_21 Posts: 19
    Options
    A taxi driver told me I had a pretty face and would be stunning if I lost weight unlike his daughter who was still ugly after losing weight. I really didn't know how to take that. Awkward taxi ride haha :)
  • BunnyLover24
    Options
    well I get what he was trying to say but I would of been kinda of hurt by the way it was worded too... why could he just say you know all your work is really showing keep it up girl...

great answer!
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i had the exact same thing said to me once...
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    I think he was trying to be encouraging and complimenting you at the same time! I'm sure he didn't realize how you might have taken it :D
  • seantugers2
    seantugers2 Posts: 16
    Options
    take it as a compliment but if he ever asks you out pass that *kitten* up
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    An awkward compliment. Take it for that and be happy.
  • ladyfingers39
    ladyfingers39 Posts: 335
    Options
    Hot and beautiful are two different things. Be happy that you are on your way to HOTville. Not all of us make it there. LOL
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    File under "f***ing creep"
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    WOW. You guys are so sensitive.

He said: YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL

Then he said: WHEN YOU LOSE THE REST OF YOUR WEIGHT, YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO HOT

I don't see anything in there that is a backhanded compliment.

Both sentances contain great compliments. He is saying she's already beautiful, and when she drops some more weight, she will move from beautiful to hot.

WOW! What an awesome thing for someone to say.

THIS.
    The guy isnt some creep stranger. Theyre study buddies so obviously they know each other pretty well and he probably knows what shes been going through and said hey you already look good and youre just getting better and better. If the thought of looking hotter didnt play into weightloss I doubt as much people could stay as motivated. Look how many people post pics of their progress and get comments like wow, what a transformation or oh, you look so good, etc. Those arent backhanded, theyre just true and sometimes the truth hurts.
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was with a study buddy. He told me, "Don't take this the wrong way...you are beautiful, as soon as you lose the rest of your weight you're going to be SO hot! I'm going to look at you and be like damn girl..."
    I was like uh thanks hahahha
    I guess it's a compliment? I don't know, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, yet motivated me.

I've been told that and basically it means you are a gorgeous person and you will stand above all these other "beautiful women"
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    Some people feel offended by those type of statements, but I don't. I could care less and take those type of things very lightly, so, if it were me, I'd probably laugh and throw in a cheesy pose.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I would take that as a huge compliment. It would totally motivate me.

Just one more reason I like you.

Guys don't think with their entire brains (or even the same portion you do) all the time. It's just a simple fact. A LOT of people say stupid crap like that as motivation...like, you're beautiful (you're doing great!), but once you lose the rest of your weight, you're going to be SO hot! (don't stop now!).

Cut him some slack...he wasn't TRYING to be obnoxious.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Good lord people. He knows you are trying to lose weight, right? So he compliments you and gives you some encouragement.

Yes, if you just walk up to someone and say "You would be hot if you lost weight" you are being rude.

telling someone how hot they will be after all of the hard work they have been putting in is hardly an insult.

Damn, I better be hotter by the time I get where i want to be!
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Imagine the different approach! It is awesome you are losing weight, but you are so hot now, why bother? LOL
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Some people feel offended by those type of statements, but I don't. I could care less and take those type of things very lightly, so, if it were me, I'd probably laugh and throw in a cheesy pose.
    I wish there was a like button like on fb. This is totally me too.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It is seriously a compliment though.

For example, my fiance says to me the other day: "Babe, your *kitten* and tits seem a little bigger. Awesome!"

After working my *kitten* and tits off, of course I'm devastated and standing in front of a mirror trying to see said big increase. Finally he catches me and asks what the hell I'm doing.

"You said my *kitten* is bigger! After all that Zumba!!"

"It's a compliment!!!" The poor guy didn't know how to handle the mess I was there for a while. lol

They just truly don't understand sometimes.
  • sandralila
    sandralila Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a young man, trying to give you a compliment. Give him a few years and he will learn.
  • Forthe4
    Forthe4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd take it as a compliment if I were you. Especially if it is out of character for the guy to give back handed compliments. Look at the larger picture of what you know of him as a person and ask yourself how he probably meant it.

Poor dude was probably getting tongue tied and was nervous even saying it in the first place. Give him the benefit of the doubt and feel good about it.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was with a study buddy. He told me, "Don't take this the wrong way...you are beautiful, as soon as you lose the rest of your weight you're going to be SO hot! I'm going to look at you and be like damn girl..."
    I was like uh thanks hahahha
    I guess it's a compliment? I don't know, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, yet motivated me.

He could have phrased it better. My general rule of thumb is that if I feel compelled to start a sentence with something like "Don't take this the wrong way, but..." then I probably need to think of a better way to say whatever I'm going to say, or refrain from saying it at all. :laugh: Still, he clearly meant to be complimentary, I'd let the clumsiness go and appreciate the spirit of the comment.