The most annoying 'compliment'?

Options

Replies

• ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good topic, I have a few of these. . . When I lost a bunch of weight before it drove me nuts when people would tell me I lost weight, not compliment me or ask if I have they would just say "hey you've lost weight" like it happened behind my back when I wasn't looking, I never know what to say back.

The best responses I've ever heard to this are a simple "Yes", or "DAMNIT! Not AGAIN!!"
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    "Your not fat! You dont need to loose weight! Im fat and NEED to loose weight! " Says the person who has no fat on them...

That one drives me crazy. Who are they trying to kid?!
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options

i also get the "god you've lost some weight" comments and these get on my nerves too, but the "how have YOU managed it" emphasis on you lol, as if i cant do it without some magic cure, this is how the usual conversation goes
    "god you've lost some weight haven't you"
    "yes thanks"
    "how you managed that then"
    "diet and exercise"
    "no not having that it can't be just diet and exercise, what else you been taking"
    "nothing honestly"
    "sorry dont believe it"
    "ok i confess i've been smoking crack and having lots of sex"

childish i no but its worth it for the look on there faces

"Oh, you know, the old fashioned way. Cigarettes and laxatives."
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, now that one is deserving of a punch in the throat. You should have told him, "No, maybe I'd be better in bed if you were."
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    When I was 50lbs lights (but still morbidly obese by medical definition), I used to have this friend who was 4'1" and 90# tell me she was fat. My response was always, "My god, you must think I'm a beluga whale!" And her response to that was always, "Oh, no! YOU'RE not fat!"...she clearly had issues, one of them being with honesty...
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    When people compliment on my figure saying they love my curves. I hate my curves, stupid genetics haha.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Wow, now that one is deserving of a punch in the throat. You should have told him, "No, maybe I'd be better in bed if you were."

:laugh:

In all fairness i *accidentally* kicked him in the nuts couple weeks later.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You look great but...
    You really should eat something...if only you knew i eat around 2000 cals a day! lol
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My worst was when an elderly person in our neighborhood didn't see me for a year until I had lost a ton of weight. when she saw me her words were " you look a lot better now" like I looked horrible before, uhhh thanks I guess :ohwell:
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This probably shouldn't bother me. But I hate it when people say "You look GREAT for having 5 kids". So your saying, if I hadn't had 5 kids then you wouldn't think I looked great. Not sure if that makes sense.
    Would like the compliment to be something like "Wow you look GREAT". End of story. LOL!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Compliments are never annoying. I just get awkward.

What is annoying is the gushing. Make your compliment and drop it. Do not go on and on...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "You're so lucky you can eat what you want."

Lucky is finding a twenty dollar bill. I earned this. :smile:
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    about 13 lbs ago (heavier) my mother told me my face was starting to "sink in", my dad told me if I lost anymore weight I was liable to fly away and here lately I get a lot of " eww, I can see your ribcage" the one from my parents are because they are both over weight and love to eat, they said these things to me as we sat in red lobster and I ordered my salmon , asparagus and broccoli dry..

the last comment is what I think to myself often because I am not sucking it in, that is just how it is and I want to see my abs not my bones... I am working on that so I am not "skinny" but fit
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    When people see me and have asked how I did it, blah blah. Then make comments like "I would have never guessed you had X___ amount of lbs to lose". This of course when I have told people (very very small circle of people, the amount I have lost)

Part of me thinks, "Really, you didn't notice how heavy I was at one point?" HOW COULD YOU NOT? I don't know why, but I find it insulting. I feel like, did people not notice me to see it? It just brings me back to old feelings where I often feel invisible in my family.

Another one recently, "You're going to blow away in the wind". Seriously? That is not even physically possible. Maybe if I was a cardboard cut out of myself and you stuck me out in the yard on a windy day... *At least I can halfway laugh about that one.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    "God, you're going to be SO ripped by the end of the summer! ;) "

I'm a girl.

I don't particularly want to be "Ripped".
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't ever get annoyed by compliments. I'm a narcissist. I DO get annoyed by people referring to my "diet" - almost 600 days later, it's NOT a diet. And I get annoyed when people say I look "fine" so I should be done with this. A) I don't look even close to fine yet B) hello? If i stop i will go back to fat and C) I don't WANT to look "fine"...I WANT to look amazing.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree.. we will never "be done with this"
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if anybody else had some really annoying 'compliments' that they get from people after some weight loss.

My favourite is 'you're wasting away!' - no. I'm clearly not, am I? I don't know why, but this one really annoys me.

Agh, I have been getting that recently from a few friends. It is annoying the crap out of me but they don't get the clue when I tell them to knock it off. I am not wasting away nor am I melting. For one thing it implies I am not working my a## off for this and I think that is what makes me the maddest.
  • shobelitz
    shobelitz Posts: 34
    Options
    1. you lost some weight! but your breasts look smaller..:/
    2. guys will be afraid of you if you make your arms more ripped. no wonder you don't have a boyfriend.. ugghh!! -_-
  • michellematteson
    Options
    My boyfriend asked me about a month ago if I was still losing weight. I confirmed it and he said "You're looking great by the way. Not that you didn't look great before. You were sexy before. And sexier now... I'll shut up now." I just laughed. It didn't bother me and he rarely has to put his foot in his mouth that I liked seeing him squirm a little.

I weigh more than I did when we met, but my boyfriend has always said that I am beautiful and he loves my body. I think he will love it still when it's smaller too.