Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Some maths is wrong there Dan -

LBM is about 114lbs
    And fat mass at 133lbs
    total - 247

but she is only 162!

Sorry ive got 2pints of guinness running through me at the moment so edited for content!
    =D
    IIFYM right?!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    LOL, Dan. I just told you I did 1800-some calories for 8 weeks. What more do you want? My stats? Here you go, buddy.

Age 47
    Height 5'4"
    Weight 162
    Body fat% over 30%
    How often you work out: I don't 'work out' so much as focus on NEAT. I do three 45-minute-ish kettlebell workouts a week, currently, and walk about 4 miles a day above my sedentary levels of activity.

Because I know I lose at the rate science predicts (3500 calories = 1 lb.) I don't foresee trying any higher deficit levels, especially since I have in the past. But I will let you have my stats so you can do your math magic and I can tell you how much less I lose at the level you suggest. Again. : )

So you have a BMR of appx 1359
    A TDEE of appx 2107

Cardio has nothing to do with weight loss but can help with fat mobilization.

Perfect weight 128lbs.

Youll drop fat at 1800 cals a day!
    Screenshot2012-07-12at62444PM.png
    You are losing 1lb a week!!!!!

I'm telling you this **** works!
    It doesnt matter how old you are or what you do!
    I've proiven it!
    This **** works!

Screenshot2012-07-12at62553PM.png

You can completely drop cardio and just lift 3x a week for a 200kcal burn and lose weight faster than how you are doing it!
    Period!

Kettlebells and all...btw.

So why waste 500 extra cals a day when you can be feeding possible muscle retention and maybe even indulging a little?
    I dont get it!
  • ebooth3452
    Options
    Yes, Skipping Queen. I am really nervous but I started it today. I have been eating 1200 calories and only had an initial loss of 5 lbs. So today I upped my calories today to 1680. Plus I earned 196 calories from exercise. This just seems like a lot of food. But since so many people swear by it, I am going to give it a try.
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    Screenshot2012-07-12at62444PM.png

Screenshot2012-07-12at62553PM.png

Where are you getting these sexy graphs? Can I use this tool too? Sorry if I missed where I can find it. ;~; Ty~ <3
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes, Skipping Queen. I am really nervous but I started it today. I have been eating 1200 calories and only had an initial loss of 5 lbs. So today I upped my calories today to 1680. Plus I earned 196 calories from exercise. This just seems like a lot of food. But since so many people swear by it, I am going to give it a try.

If you are upping to be 15-20% below TDEE then do not eat your exercise calories back. They are already figured into the equation. Go to this thread to get all the facts. Dan lays it out really nicely. I've been following it for a couple of weeks and have seen some nice progress! Plus, I'm not hungry at all!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=road+map
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Sorry but I didnt set your macros correctly!
    Appx 1g per pound LBM.

Screenshot2012-07-12at64238PM.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Don't you dare eat that exercise!

if you followed this method and came up with a TDEE that includes exercise - you don't eat it back because it's already in your total figure prior to the deficit.
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    These whole calculations are confusing as hell for me. I've wasted so much time on this. I tried running his numbers running a tool and I got totally different numbers than you did Helloit. So I pretty much won't bother with mine if I'm obviously doing something horrendously wrong.

If there is a tool I can use to make this easier, or if I can PM someone for help, I'd like love it. In return once I understand, I'll make sure to help people who come into the thread as well, and return the favor~ but as of now this is extremely frustrating to get.

Sorry for being stupid. -.-
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    These whole calculations are confusing as hell for me. I've wasted so much time on this. I tried running his numbers running a tool and I got totally different numbers than you did Helloit. So I pretty much won't bother with mine if I'm obviously doing something horrendously wrong.

If there is a tool I can use to make this easier, or if I can PM someone for help, I'd like love it. In return once I understand, I'll make sure to help people who come into the thread as well, and return the favor~ but as of now this is extremely frustrating to get.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

You arent stupid!
    lol
    Just figuring out your TDEE takes time.
    Even for me!
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. I have to count calories ( I'm @ 1,200) and exercise. Joni:flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. I have to count calories ( I'm @ 1,200) and exercise. Joni:flowerforyou:
    The point is here.

Your head is down here.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The point is here.

Your head is down here.

hahahhaha nice...
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    Sigh~ alright, I still don't quite get the TDEE thing but... I put in everything in yellow in the spreadsheet.

Sex: F (MTF, hormones have shifted~ so, calculating as F unless you know something I don't)
    Current Weight: 161lbs
    Goal Weight: 130 (We'll see~ ><)
    Height: 65" (5'5")
    Body Fat: 34.9% (Hush... :3)
    Blood Type: O+
    Sign: Pisces
    Favorite Dish: Sushi

Kay so with all of that typed in, at Sedentary (which my buns are right now until I get myself moved in...)
    BMR: 1397
    TDEE: 1676

So Sedentary, I can only eat 1425 Calories a day to lose weight... is this correct? Mind you I will be doing exercise soon. I will, and I'll recalculate, but right now I want a Sedentary baseline. Am I looking at my numbers correctly? Because this is kind of what MFP has for me already. :/

Edit: Bah, I killed the thread.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bumpity bump....yes...tks for sharing this ....I will have to read later.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, it just doesn`t mean eat all you want. It means trust the on line calculators and fiddle around with your numbers till you find the right activity level. I`ve had a little trouble with that. Hence the 0.

But once you do eating 1200 cal is a thing of the past. I thought I could eat more. Now I know for weight loss you have to suffer a little. But not a lot.

I gained weight for a while trying to figure it out. But now it`s coming off and the same that is promised by MFP one to 2 lbs a week. At way more than 1200. Well 600 calories more anyway.

It`s not a party, but it`s doable. You know what I mean?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    One reason that some people get frustrated is because *some* of the EM posts are pretty superior or moralizing to people who eat 1200 calories. However, using the fitness frog website, and the EM method, my calories on a day I don't exercise are ... 1220. On the days I do exercise, it only goes up to 1400. That's not laughable to me. That just stinks! But it is reality for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Sigh~ alright, I still don't quite get the TDEE thing but... I put in everything in yellow in the spreadsheet.

Sex: F (MTF, hormones have shifted~ so, calculating as F unless you know something I don't)
    Current Weight: 161lbs
    Goal Weight: 130 (We'll see~ ><)
    Height: 65" (5'5")
    Body Fat: 34.9% (Hush... :3)
    Blood Type: O+
    Sign: Pisces
    Favorite Dish: Sushi

Kay so with all of that typed in, at Sedentary (which my buns are right now until I get myself moved in...)
    BMR: 1397
    TDEE: 1676

So Sedentary, I can only eat 1425 Calories a day to lose weight... is this correct? Mind you I will be doing exercise soon. I will, and I'll recalculate, but right now I want a Sedentary baseline. Am I looking at my numbers correctly? Because this is kind of what MFP has for me already. :/

Edit: Bah, I killed the thread.

Heres the problem.
    TDEE of 1600 is if you are sedentary.
    I highly doubt you sit around all day long and barely walk.

How often do you work out?
    What kind of job do you have?
    Do you commute?
    Do you go out on the weekends?
    Do you do chin ups every time you go into the basement?
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and ask your Doctor!!!! When I asked mine, all (3) of them the answer was "NO!" They had reasons like I am a diabetic. Other type of diseases, age, weight, height, etc. Therefore I eat what my Int. Med. Dr. told me to eat. Which is the opposite of what MFP and others on here tell people to do.

People are giving you answers based on their own physical self. YOU R NOT THEM!!! Do what is right for you.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have upped my calories and have lost weight. I was at 1200 and my trainer told me it was too low
    so on my rest days I ate 1400 calories and I stayed around 1500 on days I worked out. My
    friend tried upping her calories and it didn't work for her. I upped my calories for maintenance with
    losing 5-10lbs more slowly in mind. My calories are at 1600-1700 and I have lost another 5lbs, I am 45 years
    old, so I am no spring chicken. What I think made the biggest difference for me was weight training.
    The more muscle you have the more your body burns calories. I take a body pump class at my
    local YMCA that has you work with weights.