Couch - to - 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll... Newbie here.

Where do you find the C25K Program to start??

Thanks!

exercise.png

coolrunning.com
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I tried this awhile ago before getting incredibly painful shin splints - I went to the doctor and found out I'm flat footed (among other problems). I think though, that I'm ready to start again - gonna buy myself some serious arch supports and get out there!! Congrats to you all doing so well!!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    To all of you trying Couch to 5k - it's an incredible feeling everytime you accomplish the workouts - just wait til you get to 2m - 3 miles ---you'll be like NO way - and you CAN do it! Keep working hard! I've never been a runner before and I am running 3.5 miles now.....

thanks for the great encouragement!!!! That helps so much, Congrats on such a great accomplishment yourself. Can't wait to get there :)
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I tried this awhile ago before getting incredibly painful shin splints - I went to the doctor and found out I'm flat footed (among other problems). I think though, that I'm ready to start again - gonna buy myself some serious arch supports and get out there!! Congrats to you all doing so well!!

Do invest in some really good shoes that work with your feet. I did and and it has made all the difference.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have my boyfriend working on a new mix for the C25K. We are both very into music and have began the C25K program, but we don't care for the mixes out there. Hopefully, he will be able to finish this soon, and when he does, I'll let you know how to locate the podcast. :smile:

P.S. I am also plagued with shin splints, so although he gets to work at a faster pace than me, I have found running with someone else actually helps by keeping you from injuring yourself as bad. He corrects my running form, which keeps my shin splints from acting up! :happy:
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump....i'm looking into doing this, wanna be able to find this thread when I do!
  • jules1984
    Options
    bump....i'm looking into doing this, wanna be able to find this thread when I do!

Haha, that's the secret reason I replied to, I want to keep up with others and find those podcasts!! :bigsmile:

Also I thought maybe others with shin splints should know they DON'T have to "deal with them" like they always told me in high school.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    tagging this to check out pod casts etc when i get home...

I really wanna try but i can't even seem to jog for a min...i get burning sensation on the outter sides of my lower legs/calves.... and then it hurts to even walk. booo!

PG:flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    tagging this to check out pod casts etc when i get home...

I really wanna try but i can't even seem to jog for a min...i get burning sensation on the outter sides of my lower legs/calves.... and then it hurts to even walk. booo!

PG:flowerforyou:

maybe start with week 1 - but cut the running in half for a week then do week 1 at 3/4 the running and the third week start with week one.

Be sure you have proper shoes on and you warmup before and stretch after. I ALWAYS walk for a warm up and walk for a cool down before I stretch. Good luck.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    if you have an iphone, it has a c25k app that overlays vocal cues to whatever music you want to listen to on your iphone/ipod touch
  • dgoode01
    Options
    I for one can truly say that following the cool running c25k program actually works. I have never been a runner even dating back to school (never was able to run a mile), but I started this one day, followed it through and completed my first 5k in June with a time average mile of 10:35..So if you keep at it and follow the program week by week you will make it, cause if I can do it..anyone can.
  • countindowntothin
    Options
    I'm so excited to start this now!! :bigsmile:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    if you have an iphone, it has a c25k app that overlays vocal cues to whatever music you want to listen to on your iphone/ipod touch

That is the best reason I've heard to switch to an iphone!!!
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm not into jogging cause I tend to overdo it. This sounds like a great plan I'm totally going to try it this evening. Thanks.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ijust finished week three run number two and i found running 3 minutes straight was really really really difficult! I keep finding myself out of breath still. anyone have any ideas lol
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I just finished week 2 last night. Really scared to move to week three with the 3 minutes. However last night, on my last segment I decided to keep running (I had plenty of time for my cool down walk, I ran at least another minute, couldn't believe I was doing it, felt so good, so maybe I'll be able to pull off the 3 minutes.

I've read on some other posts some people decide to repeat a week or two if they feel they aren't comfortable with the running time after 3 runs. I think, if 3 minutes still feels that tough, maybe you should repeat the week, or go back to week 2 and work back up to it, after all, the end result is what you are after, doesn't matter if you get there in 9 weeks, or 10 or 12 weeks, will still be great when you do.
  • countindowntothin
    Options
    Well I got up and started the run tonight, and I was really disappointed with myself!! By my third run interval, I thought I was going to absolutely DIE! I had to walk through the fourth one, but then I finished out and ended up running a minute and a half my last run! I guess maybe I shoulda walked the whole 5 minute warm up instead of skipping ahead to the running part! I really want to stick with it, but I see now just how tough its gonna be!

Good luck to everybody else thats starting and thanks to all those that are way ahead of me, your a huge encouragement to keep on going!
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Good for you - the 5 minute warm up walk is really important, that really gets your muscles ready to go, I bet next time you'll do even better. I've decided to repeat week two (the 90 second runs) Just don't feel I'm quite ready to move on, but may add some to the end of each interval to make it a little more challenging.
  • jules1984
    Options
    Ijust finished week three run number two and i found running 3 minutes straight was really really really difficult! I keep finding myself out of breath still. anyone have any ideas lol

I would do as the program suggests and repeat week 2 for a bit. I guess if you run 5 days a week, do a week in between with 2-3 days of week 2 and then move up to week 3. I'd then keep it slow and do a full week of 3. Over-doing it will get you nothing but pain. Good Luck!!
  • chrissyh
    Options

I would do as the program suggests and repeat week 2 for a bit. I guess if you run 5 days a week, do a week in between with 2-3 days of week 2 and then move up to week 3. I'd then keep it slow and do a full week of 3. Over-doing it will get you nothing but pain. Good Luck!!
    Are you resting between run days....I found the program MUCH harder on the body if I didn't rest as it suggests.