Couch - to - 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• AmyT88
    AmyT88 Posts: 239
    Options
    So I was planning on doing W1D2 last night when I got home from work. But about half way through the day I got this headache. I ended up taking something when I realized it wasn't going to go away, about 2-3 hours before I was going to be done with work. I figured it would be gone by the time I got home but it wasn't. I ended up not working out last night. I could have maybe gone ahead with the workout but all I could envision when I thought about running was feeling my head pounding every time my feet hit the ground. Figured it was better to not do the workout and wait until Wednesday since I'm going to my boyfriend's house after work to see him before he leaves on his family vacation for a week and a half.

meanness67- That's great that you felt like you could have done more :drinker: Do you like running on your treadmill? I've never ran on a treadmill, or walked on one but I plan to get one after January so that I can walk and/or run in winter without having to be outsite :laugh:

mommared53- I hope W2D1 goes well for you tonight. You'll have to let us know if the park makes a difference a second workout in a row.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill...love it for winter time and love it for hot, muggy summertime days like we've had this week. It's in my basement workout room which stays pretty cool. Plus I am doing this program at 5 am and really don't want to be in my neighborhood at that time of day. Once I'm done with this program, I plan on trying trail running.
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done!!!

keep it up everyone!!!:flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D2 last night, my route took me on some hills, I managed the first one but then tried to plan the rest of the run so I only had to run downhill :) took some planning but worked out. I figured I need to tackle the stamina of the run time first, then I can add the challenge of hills :) Hope everyone is doing great!!
  • LingLing
    LingLing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Finished day 1 or week 2 last night. I did good. My dd, sil and me ran at the park again. One of the songs was kind of fast paced and I found myself running with the fast beat of the song so I had to work to run at a slower pace so I wouldn't wear myself out. :laugh: I think maybe the reason the park seems easier is because I've been trying to run at a slow pace. It seems like I'm not getting as far though even though the park has a loop instead of a straight path like the Green River trail. Sil doesn't like to run at the park so I guess we'll be running Green River trail on Thursday. :ohwell: Apparently he's self conscious about people watching him run. I'll see how I do on the trail. Maybe if I try to run at a slower pace I'll do fine.

Good luck everyone. Keep up the good work. This is so exciting! :happy:
  • AmyT88
    Options
    Aargh!!! :grumble: I was planning on doing W1D2 last night after I got home from my eye doctor appointment but now the weather got in my way!! It wasn't raining super hard but I didn't want to go out and be caught in a down pour with my Ipod unprotected. It's still raining, and raining hard, this morning so we'll see if I can get out tonight and do D2 or not. Hopefully I can.

But on the bright side I weighed in today and lost 2 pounds so I'm back down to 173.5!! :bigsmile:

mommared53 - Hopefully your run on the Green River Trail goes ok. I'm sure if you try to run at a slower pace like you do at the park you'll do great!

m2kjenn - You are a brave woman for trying to add hills to your route! Keep up the great work!

meanness67 - I really wish I had a treadmill yesterday. I would have been able to still do W1D2 last night if I had one.

ClassiC - How was Day 2 for you??

Hope everyone who is planning to run today is able to! Have a great Thursday everyone!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Aargh!!! :grumble: I was planning on doing W1D2 last night after I got home from my eye doctor appointment but now the weather got in my way!! It wasn't raining super hard but I didn't want to go out and be caught in a down pour with my Ipod unprotected. It's still raining, and raining hard, this morning so we'll see if I can get out tonight and do D2 or not. Hopefully I can.

lol ok probably sounds funny, but i keep my ipod tucked into my bra [lol i have to double up and wear two to run :laugh: so i tuck it between the layers so it's safe and i don't have to fuss with it anywhere :blushing:
  • meanness67
    Options
    I did W2D2 yesterday and did pretty good on it. Still not going as fast as I would like but will work on speed later. Tomorrow will complete week 2. Little scared of week 3 running 3 minutes at a time :noway: but I guess it has to increase if I'm going to get to week 9!

Keep going everyone...you're doing great! :bigsmile:
  • ClassiC
    Options
    hey everyone!!!

sorry i havent been posting.. there's another thread on the couch to 5k starters this week too.... guess i got confused :embarassed: :embarassed: so sorry!!!

maybe we could combine and make one big group of motivation!!!! sure could use that:drinker: the accountability really keeps me going. it's a thought....:flowerforyou:

W1D4 (walk day) was good..... did HIIT on the treadmill. sweat up a storm.... :glasses:

Amy- my runs have been going good. i find the running part easier than the walking. never been a walker for exercise so my pace is horrible (not to mention after being pooped from running the sets lol)..... so my aim is to keep my pace up on that end.... shins were killing me during tho. :noway: anyone else having that? how do i prevent it?? i run on asphalt btw....

great work group!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyT88
    Options
    I am getting so frustrated with the weather. It was still raining yesterday when I got home from work so I didn't get to do C25K again!! I have not exercised since Friday of last week now. I know I should have found something else to do so I would have at least done something but I was feeling really tired and decided to go to bed early, like 8:30 early. I'm still feeling tired now, or it's my contacts. I felt fine at home so I'm not really sure what's going on, maybe it's just work that makes me feel tired :laugh:

ClassiC - I wish there was a way to just have everyone combine to one thread but the problem is that someone new will come along and not look through the message boards to see if there is already started about the C25K and they'll start a new one and then they'll get new people, it's just never ending :laugh: Glad to hear your work outs are going well for you. I don't seem to have a problem with the walking or running so far. I'm sure at some point the walking will be easier for me than the running. Is day 4 your own personal day? I've only see the programs with 3 days per week. I'm not having problems with my shins, well I've only done one work out so far so I should really say I didn't have problems with them then. I know that I read some where that people had that problem but I can't remember what others said to help it or prevent it.

meanness67 - I wouldn't worry about how fast you're going, just that you're completing the work outs. The only time I would even be worried about speed is if you're going to fast and burning yourself out before you can finish the work out. I hope your last day of W2 goes well today! I looked at all of the weeks just to see what I was getting myself into and I thought the same thing :noway:

PolliesGirl - Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to try wearing 2 sports bras just to try that theory out. During my first work out the cord kept flapping around and making excess noise in my ear buds that I would run the cord under my shirt and under my sports bra so that it wouldn't be able to flap around. My left ear for some reason doesn't keep the ear bud in it very well, it's always falling out. Maybe fixing the cord problem will help or I just have a funny shaped left ear I guess :laugh:

Keep up the great work everyone. I'll let ya know if I get to get out and do W1D2 tonight or not.

:drinker: Have a great Friday :drinker:
  • m2kjenn
    Options

PolliesGirl - Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to try wearing 2 sports bras just to try that theory out. During my first work out the cord kept flapping around and making excess noise in my ear buds that I would run the cord under my shirt and under my sports bra so that it wouldn't be able to flap around. My left ear for some reason doesn't keep the ear bud in it very well, it's always falling out. Maybe fixing the cord problem will help or I just have a funny shaped left ear I guess :laugh:

I've had trouble getting my runs in this week too - weather has been fine here but my family obligations have made it just about impossible. Hopefully my girls will get settled in school and things will calm down.

I have the same problems with my ipod cords. I did just find a great deal on an arm band for my older ipod. I checked the stores and the cheapest I could find was $32.00 :( so I checked online and found a website www.handhelditems.com found one there for $1.99!!!! can you believe it, so with shipping it was less then $5.00 and I had it at my house 3 days after I ordered. I really recommend if you are looking for something like that. I'm hoping it will keep the cord more to the side and not so much in the way - haven't run with it yet, so will see.

Glad to see everyone keeping up on here. Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • re_define
    Options
    I finished week 4 day 3 early this morning :happy: I had never idea that by the end of this week I would be able to run for 5 minutes straight and even thought I could have kept going! I'm definitely looking forward to the coming weeks.
  • ClassiC
    Options
    I am getting so frustrated with the weather. It was still raining yesterday when I got home from work so I didn't get to do C25K again!! I have not exercised since Friday of last week now. I know I should have found something else to do so I would have at least done something but I was feeling really tired and decided to go to bed early, like 8:30 early. I'm still feeling tired now, or it's my contacts. I felt fine at home so I'm not really sure what's going on, maybe it's just work that makes me feel tired :laugh:

ClassiC - I wish there was a way to just have everyone combine to one thread but the problem is that someone new will come along and not look through the message boards to see if there is already started about the C25K and they'll start a new one and then they'll get new people, it's just never ending :laugh: Glad to hear your work outs are going well for you. I don't seem to have a problem with the walking or running so far. I'm sure at some point the walking will be easier for me than the running. Is day 4 your own personal day? I've only see the programs with 3 days per week. I'm not having problems with my shins, well I've only done one work out so far so I should really say I didn't have problems with them then. I know that I read some where that people had that problem but I can't remember what others said to help it or prevent it.

meanness67 - I wouldn't worry about how fast you're going, just that you're completing the work outs. The only time I would even be worried about speed is if you're going to fast and burning yourself out before you can finish the work out. I hope your last day of W2 goes well today! I looked at all of the weeks just to see what I was getting myself into and I thought the same thing :noway:

Keep up the great work everyone. I'll let ya know if I get to get out and do W1D2 tonight or not.

:drinker: Have a great Friday :drinker:

happy friday!!

thanks!

perhaps i'm counting wrong... lol... i'm doing the 3 run days program with walks on days off... so i've been counting the walk days:embarassed:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I'm so excited! I finished D2W2 last night. S-I-L ran earlier in the day but DD decided to wait and run with me. We ran on the trail instead of the partk. I think my problem is that I was not pacing myself on the trail for some reason. I finally got into a pretty good pace/rythm and finished without wearing myself completely out. I think by the time next Tuesday rolls around and I start week 3 I'll be ready instead of having to do week 2 again.

AmyT do you have any rain gear you can wear so you can run in the rain or is it just raining too hard to run in it? That's what I'm not looking forward to is when we hit the rainy season here in WA State. I've lucked out so far. I'm going to get one of those cheap rain jackets and pants sets to wear when it does rain. Hopefully you'll be able to get back on track soon. :flowerforyou:

Good luck to all of us with our runs. I'm so excited and a little amazed to be participating in this training. I won't be doing a 5K in November with DD but I'll be looking forward to running one sometime next year. Keep up the good work everyone and have a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! I finished D2W2 last night. S-I-L ran earlier in the day but DD decided to wait and run with me. We ran on the trail instead of the partk. I think my problem is that I was not pacing myself on the trail for some reason. I finally got into a pretty good pace/rythm and finished without wearing myself completely out. I think by the time next Tuesday rolls around and I start week 3 I'll be ready instead of having to do week 2 again.

AmyT do you have any rain gear you can wear so you can run in the rain or is it just raining too hard to run in it? That's what I'm not looking forward to is when we hit the rainy season here in WA State. I've lucked out so far. I'm going to get one of those cheap rain jackets and pants sets to wear when it does rain. Hopefully you'll be able to get back on track soon. :flowerforyou:

Good luck to all of us with our runs. I'm so excited and a little amazed to be participating in this training. I won't be doing a 5K in November with DD but I'll be looking forward to running one sometime next year. Keep up the good work everyone and have a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
    you have to admit the view is better on the trail. :laugh:

I've been looking in to running in the rain, apparently wicking clothing is important and cotton just gets wet and heavy.... more reasons to buy new clothes lol.
  • mommared53
    Options

you have to admit the view is better on the trail. :laugh:

I've been looking in to running in the rain, apparently wicking clothing is important and cotton just gets wet and heavy.... more reasons to buy new clothes lol.

Yes indeedy the view is better plus it's less crowded and you don't have to worry about little kids or other people getting in your way. :grumble:

What kind of clothes should we wear? What is wicking clothing?
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I just bought a pair of moisture wicking pants - I haven't worn them yet, I understand they are to pull the moisture away from your body, I assumed from sweat from the inside, maybe they absorb from the outside too?

I am so proud of myself - I finished week 4 day 1 tonight. I was scared to move on but decided to give it a try, giving myself permission to stop if I felt it to much but I felt great! A 5 minute run !!! I can't believe I did it. I'm so loving this program!!!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Wow, good for you! How exciting! :happy: I just finished W2D3 so I'll start week 3 next Tuesday. I think I did pretty good on week 2 and I think I'm ready to move forward. I repeated week 1 and did it twice before progressing on to week 2.

Good luck to everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • meanness67
    Options
    I finished up week 2 yesterday; felt pretty good doing it so I am on to week 3. I also purchased new running shoes at a running store :happy: I used them yesterday and they felt pretty good.

Have a great week everyone!