Couch - to - 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So I have to admit...Im a little scared now to try week 4. i strugglled a little bit with the 3 minute runs but i repeated it a couple more time and it didnt get any better lol. I hope that week 4 gets better....Does anyone else struggle wiht the longer runs? Im not sure if its just my weak cardiovascular or if I jus thave a hard time pushing through!!!!

I started week 4 a few days ago. I couldn't complete the 5 minute runs(4 minutes the first one, 3.5 minutes the second), so I added a couple of minutes on at the end before I did my cool down walk. I tried again yesterday, but the humidity got to me, and I couldn't even complete 3 minutes, so I just put my Zune on shuffle, and I would run as long as I could to each song, then finished walking it out, then started again on the next song. I'm gonna try it again tomorrow. I had to repeat week 3, and I'm guessing I'll be repeating week 4. I don't care how many times I have to repeat it, I'll make it through eventually.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I have looked everywhere...can someone one please tell me where the podcasts can be found to the c2 5k??
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    :blushing: I have looked everywhere...can someone one please tell me where the podcasts can be found to the c2 5k??

Evidently you missed the first page of this post, because I had a list there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, I cut and pasted for you"

Here's the link for the Suz podcast. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

I used hers at the end of last week and I shaved almost 3 minutes off my time. The strong beat and faster music really got me moving! Up until then, I'd been using the Robert Ullery one. I have continued to use hers this week as well.

Here's the link to his: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

I also did a google search, and there's several others:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html (podrunner also has podcasts to go further, with an 8K podcast and a 10K podcast)

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/ (This one is Christian music, there are a few extra downloads on this site)

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html (This one has a 5-4-3-2-1-0 countdown and then the music completely changes for each interval, but the sampling I listened to had good music. I kind of hated it sometimes when the song changed right in the middle)

Hope these help!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :huh: ty!! I did miss it...not sure why
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    thanks pet!| Its good to know that Im notthe only onestill struggling with the longer runs. I might have to try your technique of adding a couple minutes onto it at the end beforewalking becaues I have a huge fear that I wont be able to run the whole 5 minutes!

there is probably nothing wrong with doing that since its helping you out in the end right? Thanks again. Now Im not quite so freaked out to go do it in 10 minutes!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I started this Monday and it was so much harder than I thought but I did it! Shins were achy when I finished but feel ok today. Week 1 Workout 2 will be tomorrow morning. I'll have to check out the podcasts 'cause I was just playing my own music and watching the timer on the treadmill. I walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.0 on the treadmill. I would like to be walking at 3.5 instead of 3 but I wasn't able to recover well enough at that speed. Hopefully this will change quickly.

Keep it up everyone!
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    well i ran week 4 run #1 today and couldnt finish the last 5min interval but i kept walking, then running for 1.5 min then walking then running again for 1.5 to finish the last five min!!! grrr i hope thursdays run is a little better!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I may have to run in the rain tonight :tongue: unless the one treadmill in the workout room at my apartment complex is available. :ohwell:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Maddie, you can do it! I had problems with week 3 and repeated. By the second run in my repeat week, I was able to do the program twice! I started week 4 on Friday, and that was the one that I couldn't finish, then Sunday was soooo hot and humid I couldn't even do 3 minutes, so I adapted and did shorter runs. I went today, and completed all the intervals. I won't say I wasn't struggling, so I'm going to repeat this week again, but it does get easier:drinker:

Meanness (ha ha, funny name-I feel like that some days), if you're on a treadmill, try putting the incline up to 1 or 2%, it might help with the shins. When I started, I couldn't run a 5 mph pace (not sure what I'm running it now, since I'm outside). I started walking at 3.3 and running at 4.5. If you find as you're going along that 5 mph is too much of a struggle, try slowing it down a bit. As you get better, you can add speed on. When I left the Y, I was up to 4.8, after only two weeks.

Mommared, depending on where you are, it might be fun to run in the rain. Just throw on a baseball cap to keep the rain out of your eyes (a bit of advice I picked up on the runners thread, lol)
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    are you landing on your heel or the ball of your feet. I think it works your calves more if you land more on the ball of your feet (i'm no expert, I just started myself). I do know that better shoes do make a night/day difference. Specially if you go to a "running store" and get them to measure your feet. They will determine whether you over or under pronate and recommend an appropriate shoe based on that. It may help.

Thanks, I am not really sure...I think I land on my heel and roll to my toe but I swear I have blisters etc and could be compensating for that. I will try and check it out. I am going to try different shoes, too.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Maddie, you can do it! I had problems with week 3 and repeated. By the second run in my repeat week, I was able to do the program twice! I started week 4 on Friday, and that was the one that I couldn't finish, then Sunday was soooo hot and humid I couldn't even do 3 minutes, so I adapted and did shorter runs. I went today, and completed all the intervals. I won't say I wasn't struggling, so I'm going to repeat this week again, but it does get easier:drinker:

Meanness (ha ha, funny name-I feel like that some days), if you're on a treadmill, try putting the incline up to 1 or 2%, it might help with the shins. When I started, I couldn't run a 5 mph pace (not sure what I'm running it now, since I'm outside). I started walking at 3.3 and running at 4.5. If you find as you're going along that 5 mph is too much of a struggle, try slowing it down a bit. As you get better, you can add speed on. When I left the Y, I was up to 4.8, after only two weeks.

Mommared, depending on where you are, it might be fun to run in the rain. Just throw on a baseball cap to keep the rain out of your eyes (a bit of advice I picked up on the runners thread, lol)

By gummies you're right! I live in Washington State and it shouldn't be too cool this evening. I can always wear a sweater then ditch it if I have too. It's all about the attitude. I haven't ran (played) in the rain since I was a kid. If I have to run in the rain, I'll just have a good attitude and enjoy it. :happy: I'll have to see if dd has a baseball cap I can borrow. :laugh: Thanks Pett! :flowerforyou:
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    Hey Pet,

I repeated week 2 because the 90 seconds was harder than the 60 seconds but now the 3 minutes wasnt to hard lol. Man my body is WEIRD lol! I am looking forward to pushing myself a little harder on thursday because i am away from tomorrow afternoon til friday afternoon so I'll get to run in a new area too lol :)
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I did my first run for week 3 tonight, didn't think I'd be able to run the 3 minutes, but I did!!!! Yay for me :) Felt really good.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I ran day 1 of week 1 again last night. This is my second time doing week 1. It's still really hard for some reason but I made it. Fortunately it wasn't raining during that time. I'll finish week 1 this week and next week decide if I feel ready to go on to week 2. Hope so. If not, I'll repeat week 1 again. I'm not going to stress over it either way. Eventually I finish the course. :happy:
  • meanness67
    Options

Thanks for the advice; it seemed to help. Slowed down the pace and put at 1 incline. Think I will also look into buying some better running shoes. Workout 3 will be tomorrow.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I ran day 1 of week 1 again last night. This is my second time doing week 1. It's still really hard for some reason but I made it. Fortunately it wasn't raining during that time. I'll finish week 1 this week and next week decide if I feel ready to go on to week 2. Hope so. If not, I'll repeat week 1 again. I'm not going to stress over it either way. Eventually I finish the course. :happy:

Hey momma, I ran week 5 (FIVE!!!) this morning!! But your son in law has promised to start at week 1.... want to run w/ him? Thought we could go to the park up the street, I can play w/ the kids while you guys run on the track. Let me know.... he's going to use my ipod. :wink:
  • mommared53
    Options

Hey momma, I ran week 5 (FIVE!!!) this morning!! But your son in law has promised to start at week 1.... want to run w/ him? Thought we could go to the park up the street, I can play w/ the kids while you guys run on the track. Let me know.... he's going to use my ipod. :wink:

Look at you go!! Hey my "boyfriend" gave me a free pass good for three trips to the Y. He's going to try to get some more so you can go too. :happy: Gotta find out where the closest Y is. Sure, the park sounds great. I'm running tonight and then again on Saturday. You can park your car in my parking space to prove to my neighbors it's being used. :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of week 3 yesterday...man that was tough! Tough, but I did it! :drinker:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • meanness67
    Options
    Did W1D3 this morning. Much better than Wednesday since I found some new ways to stretch before I worked out...really helped the shins! Week 2 starts Monday.:noway: