When Was Your First Time?

Options
lklascala
lklascala Posts: 33 Member
I was in the shower the other day pondering how I could have possibly gained all this weight, and why I even waited until now to take it off. That's when I realized how blind I had actually been to gaining the weight. It's not like it happened overnight and then BAM I was fat. It was a slow, creeping progression. So that got me thinking even more about when I actually realized I was heavy. And then it hit me...or more like I hit it. As I was stepping out of the shower I ran into the shower door. I've been running into a lot of things lately and I have never done that before. My girth is a lot wider than what my mind percieved it to be.
Which prompts me ask others...what event actually triggered your brain into realizing how heavy you actually are (were)?

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was putting my Christmas pics on Facebook and ended up cropping my belly out of each pic. Also trying bathing suits on and hating what I saw.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Whenever I decided to man the **** up.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i realized it after joining MFP and reading all the success stories, which unsurprisingly did not happen overnight but over many months, and just let it sink in

My hopes were to reach my goal weight my june 15, and that was about 3 months ago hahah

now I'm just hoping to reach my goal by New years because that's about the time I decided to do the cliched thing and make a weight loss resolution last year :drinker:
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and saw 200 pounds.. disgusting feeling.
  • me525
    me525 Posts: 155
    Options
    When I saw how I looked in a recent family photo. My weight hasn't changed much from last years family photo (although I've been a member since last august, I was very sporadic until recently) but for some reason the body position and lighting in this one picture just did me in. It was 5/19 and I was sitting at the portriat studio looking over our shoot and we came to the picture and I wanted to CRAWL UNDER THE DESK AND HIDE! I know a lot of people who have lost weight have a problem seeing themselves as smaller, but I had a problem seeing how big I had actually gotten. I had deluded myself into thinking I wasn't really heavy, but 163lbs on a 5'1" frame is too big, and it showed! I've dedicated myself and busted my but and i've lost 3lbs since that day.

Needless to say I did not have that picture printed, but I am going to print one off from home and stick it in front of my treadmill:happy:
  • diaton
    diaton Posts: 2
    Options
    I still don't believe the photos! That can't be me! I am not that fat! Then, I get on the scale :(
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I put together my 10 year High School graduation and then HIRED a photographer for pictures thinking that maybe they would be able to get some really good ones of me and it was an epic disaster. I have always been the photographer, but there was one picture in there that was just ridiculous....Everyone had a blast and it was a complete success of a party (actually THREE parties over two days) that I have already been asked to do a 15 year since no one wants to wait for 20! LOL I just want to have a ton of fun doing it as well and have the pictures to prove it! :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I realized out shopping, that an XL belt doesn't even fit around my waist, I had to do something.
  • Sunpoet
    Sunpoet Posts: 67
    Options
    When I tried to play softball with some friends and realized I couldn't make it to first base. I stopped running but the momentum of all my weight kept me going and I fell down. I realized I couldn't even control my body anymore so time to do something about it.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always new and just chose not to fix it and avoid doing things, not ride rides at the fair, sit and watch rather then particapate heck just sit and get bigger and let life pass was easyer then move.
  • mkahmad
    mkahmad Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    On Mother's day, my sweet mom sent me the pictures we took on mother's day. I looked fat and disgusting from every angle in all the pictures.. I decided then that I need to do something.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    Definitely when I stepped on the scale and saw 235 (Largest I have ever been, especially since I have said I would never break 200). When I get tired climbing one flight of stairs and looking at pictures. I also put on a dress I hadn't worn in a while (it was big when I bought it) and it was INSANELY tight and I couldn't get it over my hips. The stretch marks on my stomach and arms and thighs didn't help either.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    For me, the breaking point was going to get a new pair of jeans. I hadn't had jeans in a couple years since my size 11 ones stopped fitting and went to leggings since they stretch. I wanted a pair of jeans, went to Target, and when I realized that I couldn't even fit into a size 14 (I could barely get them up onto my hips) that's what was just too much for me. I think the slow and steady accumulation of bigger clothes was blinding me. But because I hadn't worn jeans or tried pants on with a real number on them (besides just S/M/L), it was just all too real.

But since then I've lost 34 lbs. Those size 11 jeans? Yeah they don't fit me still... because they're too big! I just bought my first pairs of shorts yesterday... size 9! And more than that, I went out in them today and felt totally fantastic. It had been years since I felt decent about my body and every day there's something a little more that I can love about myself :)
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't fit size 9 jeans. When they were too small. Now they are incredibly big on me and I can fit nicely into a size 5 jean.
    Breaking point was definitely not being able to keep up with my baby and walk my normal route home. I now do it in 45 minutes or less. Before it took me an hour plus some... Mostly before, I didn't like to walk....
  • MelanieKaye1s
    MelanieKaye1s Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Girl so so true!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The day I realized I was a size 18W and obese with a BMI of 34. Never ever ever again.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When my lower back problems hindered my normal life. I initially lost 30lbs but gained it back and then some. Finally started on it again b/c the back problems persist...
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The day I got diagnosed with High blood pressure, following my grandson telling me I was too fat to ride in the car with him.
    I was 41, 238lbs and was on the verge of having diabetes and the doctor recommended weight loss. She hadn't bothered me about weight because I quit smoking earlier that year.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    When I went on a date and couldn't slide into the booth. I had to squeeze myself in. At first I thought it was just the booth, but then I met a friend after work one night not long after that, and I had to do the same thing. Then I saw pictures. :embarassed: Like triggsta, I was wearing stretchy pants all the time because they were more comfortable. In reality I was wearing a size 24 jeans. I just bought my first pair of Jordache jeans the other day. I couldn't believe I heard myself saying the 16s looked too big! Got 14s, and they fit. :happy: The only stretchy bottoms I wear now are my workout capris!
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    For me it wasnt clothes or running into doors stuff like that.....nothing quite clicks you into gear (well for me anywaythan having your Doctor tell you that youd be dead by 45 if you keep up your current lifestyle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!