Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I first bought it for my husband who has some sensitivities to dairy and dislikes soy milk. He likes the sweetened vanilla Almond Breeze the best.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've noticed everyone is talking about the storebought almond milk - which is highly watered down so per cup, it doesn't have that many nutrients. But homemade almond milk has a lot of nutrients in it - just almonds blended up with water and maybe a little bit of sweetener or vanilla, but that's not even necessary! I like to make my own almond milk because it is really inexpensive and it tastes rich and creamy.

I do occasionally buy the cartons of unsweetened almond milk, because I like to use it in cooking and baking. For drinking and in my tea/coffee, I prefer soy milk.

I'm vegan so I don't drink cow's milk. Cows make milk for their babies, not for humans. Have you ever considered what happens to the calves so that humans can take the milk? It's not like there is a bunch of extra after the calf nurses...the calf has to be taken away from mama cow. IMO, not worth it. I can get calcium and protein from other sources!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for protein. I get unsweetened Almond Breeze. I drink it because I don't like dairy milk, and because I can use a cup of it for only 40 calories.
  • cherno1
    cherno1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Soy is a phytoestrogen and you might want to take that into consideration before consuming soy in large amounts. But the biggest issue with SOY here in the United States is that Monsanto holds the patent on Genetically Modified Soybeans and all food made from soy in the US is from GMO soybeans. I found it really interesting that Silk, Kashi, Muir Glen Organic, Larabar, R.W. Knudsen family, Santa Cruz Organic, etc., etc., all funneled large amounts of $$$$$$$$$$ to STOP the implementation of the bill that would have protected us (consumers) and required that any food offered for sale would have to show on the label if it contained GMO products of any kind.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The unsweetened original almond milk is pretty much the most delicious drink ever.

Plus, it's high in calcium and has some good healthy fat. How is that useless?
  • fitnessprincess16
    Options
    And dont forget milk is bad for you. Not just because its high calorie...it gives you zits
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think so too, however there are people who just like the taste of milk but don't or can't have dairy. I think for those people it could be useful. I have never enjoyed drinking a glass of milk myself.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

I am lactose intolerant and have a hormonal imbalance so I really have to limit soy. Coconut milk does not taste good IMO so...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I think it's dumb that it's not fortified with more calcium. You think the almond milk industry would want to be able to market it as a dairy alternative to milk.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    MOOTOPIA FROM HEB HAS 12 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER CUP & AN ARRAY OF VITAMINS. ITZ ALSO LACTOSE FREE EVEN N CHOCOLATE!!!! DEY HAVE FAT FREE, 2% & REGULAR N BOTH FLAVORS
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lactose makes me really sick and I'm not a big fan of soy (it's one of the most genetically modified foods next to corn) so almond milk it is for me.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I'm lactose intolerant and soy milk is horrid.
    Still more of a rice milk girl, though. Rice milk is awesome :).
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened, I prefer the Blue Diamond brand over Silk, IMO.

I love it!! I has a great amount of calcium and is SO low cal!!

I like as treat in the morning with my breakfast a glass of almond milk with a squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup, YUM and sure beats 200+ cals for a "real glass of chocolate milk! It is an excellent low cal. "good for you" treat.

I also use it on cereal that is slightly sweetened, such as Kix, very good! If I want a little extra treat, I will add just a tad of chocolate (sugar-free) syrup to the milk in the syrup.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I didn't know people drank milk for protein.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

I don't think so. I like unsweetened almond milk. I don't like the taste of regular milk and soy milk is okay but a little too sweet.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It has tons of calcium! I get enough protein from meat and other sources, but you could always just add like half a scoop of protein powder if that's your issue. It has very few calories, and best of all, it's NOT SOY. I've been milk free for my acne and also because I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I've tried rice milk and hemp milk and they both tasted like poop, and I really like almond milk.

I thought that too about the protein powder. I have thought of doing that for myself.

I noticed about almond milk only having 1 gm of protein too and it is a little disappointing, but I prefer it. I use it in smoothies, cereal, to drink outright, and in other foods I make.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think most people drink milk for the calcium, which almond milk has double of compared to cow's milk.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I buy the unsweetened one. 40 cals per 250ml....cant get that with normal milk or even soy. Brilliant in oats.

Don't like it.... don't drink it. Not being forced to do so.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    And dont forget milk is bad for you. Not just because its high calorie...it gives you zits

:ohwell: plzgo
  • TheKillerrAnna
    TheKillerrAnna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone drinking milk for the protein. Drinking milk is encouraged for the calcium and vitamin D, scarce nutrients that we need for good health. You should be comparing THAT, because that is what is important. People have become so accustomed to seeing people with healthy bones that they forget why milk is so important. My grandmother didn't get as much calcium as she needed as a kid and is bow-legged because of it. Your calcium intake should be high until age 25.