Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options
12346»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've noticed everyone is talking about the storebought almond milk - which is highly watered down so per cup, it doesn't have that many nutrients. But homemade almond milk has a lot of nutrients in it - just almonds blended up with water and maybe a little bit of sweetener or vanilla, but that's not even necessary! I like to make my own almond milk because it is really inexpensive and it tastes rich and creamy.

I do occasionally buy the cartons of unsweetened almond milk, because I like to use it in cooking and baking. For drinking and in my tea/coffee, I prefer soy milk.

I'm vegan so I don't drink cow's milk. Cows make milk for their babies, not for humans. Have you ever considered what happens to the calves so that humans can take the milk? It's not like there is a bunch of extra after the calf nurses...the calf has to be taken away from mama cow. IMO, not worth it. I can get calcium and protein from other sources!

The male calves are taken away 5 days old & killed. Female calves raised to become pregnant all year round & then the cycle continues. Female cows are made pregnant constantly to produce milk. Yep the 'bobby' calves (males) are killed when they are 5 days old because they are not worth anything to the dairy industry.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time, so no it's not useless.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think it's tasteless yuk
  • fitnessprincess16
    Options
    I remember when I first tried It It was disgusting. But now I love it
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Store bought almond and almond/coconut milk taste terrible. Try making your old almond milk and the difference is unbelievable. I always make my own almond milk - almonds and water - no sugar. It makes the best porridge, very rich and creamery.

For those you have and are buying almond/coconut milk - have a look at the ingredients - enough poison to kill a pig.

I have also made my own coconut milk, which only last for 3 days, but it is a lot healthier than what is sold in the stores.

One cup of dry almonds make enough milk to last at least 4 days.

I was reading through the discussions on almond milk and could not no one made their own almond milk until I saw your response. I have always made my own almond milk, so much better - just almonds and water - no sweetener whatsoever. I am very conscious of the ingredients in store bought almond milk and almond/coconut milk. Hopefully your response would get others thinking.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the brand I buy (Silk), but it has twice as much calcium than dairy...
  • chubbichubbi
    chubbichubbi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well i dont like cow's milk and I think almond milk tastes almost like a milkshake! its also great because it has a lot of calcium, I think even more than regular milk. I wouldnt say its useless but theres many options for milk just as theres many options for granola bars or apples, etc. Its just what your preference is!

:) xx
  • eab828
    eab828 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also think it is useless lol :P Yes it has good vitamins and minerals, but I prefer to get that from other foods. So for me, almond milk is a fatty sugary drink with no protein!
  • ericacgilbert
    ericacgilbert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drink cow's milk to add additional nutrition to their diets (protein being a key component.) If they made an unsweetened almond milk with comparable protein per serving, it would definitely be something I'd consider adding to my diet.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    At some point as an adult, my body became less adept at processing cow's milk (though I can still do cheese and ice cream, knock wood). As a result, I turned to almond milk, because I personally choose to supplement my protein with a whey powder, and find it tastes better in milk - or almond milk - than in water by a wide margin.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Pregnant cows do not give milk. Lactating cows give milk, so, no, milk cows are not 'pregnant all year long.' Agriculture is a business. They are not going to be doing counter productive things such as unnecessarily reducing cow lactation by constantly getting them pregnant when regularly milking them maintains their lactating nor killing live birth offspring immediately after birth when there's more money from them later (when they're killed when they are larger. There are uses for cows other than milk. If not milk, there's still leather... and floor rugs... and bully sticks...and meat). Do people think through the logic of these scenarios when posting them?
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose so I don't drink it but I take calcium supplements.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

Almond milk is a recipe that has been around for many centuries. You see versions of the recipe in ancient books, for example check out http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm. It used to be used as a replacement for milk (keeps longer without refrigeration, seasonal shortages of milk, economic, religious reasons, etc), and different versions made with other nuts, like walnuts. Almond milk is not a "modern" recipe.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

It's food and food is not always about nutrition. If that were the case people would forgo grain and replace with vegetables and fruit simply because it has multiply times more nutrition on a calorie for calorie basis, but then there wouldn't be bread or pasta, or pastries, or pizza. :smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Almond milk is a recipe that has been around for many centuries. You see versions of the recipe in ancient books, for example check out http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm. It used to be used as a replacement for milk (keeps longer without refrigeration, seasonal shortages of milk, economic, religious reasons, etc), and different versions made with other nuts, like walnuts. Almond milk is not a "modern" recipe.

Thank you very much for that recipe! Very interesting to see you can make cheese from it and I'm definetely going to give walnut milk a try because I try to mainly stick with almonds and walnuts when nibbling for the Omega 3's so this is another way to get that plus the other vitamins and fibre if it's not strained.