I feel stupid but...

Options
1235»

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Just got out of college and I have no idea how I am going to make friends. It was easy in the dorms - just live next door to someone and boom you're friends. And my whole dorm floor was friends all though out college. But now I am stumped. How to meet people? I'm tired and I don't really go out at night anymore, I work most of the day and people are not friendly at the gym.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. Parenting groups if you're a parent
    2. Athletic based groups if you're into that
    3. Church if you're into that...
    4. Direct Sales (no joke, I've made a ton of REAL friends when I started selling food.)
    5. Classes on something you enjoy - art, photography, jewelry making, physics, underwater basket weaving...

That's all that's springing to mind at the moment...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I have some acquaintances but no one I could ever call if I needed anything. I was just thinking about this today too - I think I'm really fun - people are missing out by not knowing me!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't really want many friends. There are a number of friends with whom I've deliberately drifted away. Not because they were bad friends or because I didn't like them, but simply because I value my personal time far too much. I have a family which gets my shared time (gladly!), and I'm too stingy with what's left to give it out to others.

The few friends I've allowed to stay close are very special. I feel like they are well worth sacrificing personal time to be with.

I've watched others fail, and from my own experiences, it's better to have even just one really good friend than a hundred crappy friends who will invariably let you down.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. The only "real life" friends I've got are ones I've had since elementary school and our interests have changed so much, it's more like they're acquaintances. My only good friends right now, are my fiancé and my mom - so sad lol.
  • amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I think that it is even harder for women, we become catty. When I started dating my BF and we would hang out with his friends, I would try to make nice with their wives/GF but I got the feeling they had plenty of friends and didn't even try to know me. Needless to say we don't really do date night with them any more.